Calne Model Rail Show - 18 & 19 January 2014

Geoff Endacott

The guides had plans in when they were printed. I wonder how they disappeared from the copy you looked at.

I guess I owe you an apology then. With, what was it 16 layouts, you would of thought that I would have spotted a fair few of them with track plans and only missed the odd one or two. But then it was only a quick thumb through the pages. Hey even I don't expect traders to have plans of where everything is on their stands.

Really good to hear the numbers were well up. That is what makes next year's more likely to go ahead.

• RMweb Gold

I missed last years show and thoroughly enjoyed my visit this year. A good selection of layouts and traders to suit most tastes.

Whilst I seen it before Wenfordbridge Goods is always worth some time to marvel at the working hoist in 2mm. The presentation of Burntwood Lane I thought was superb, and I was very taken with Roker Bridge as well. The only downside for me was that Cheltenham South & Leckhampton which to my eyes was the best modelling on show was let down by an electrical fault on one of the running lines. Hope they get it fixed for the rest of the show.

All in all a well presented and organised show as you would expect from the Bently Group.

PS - my programme had two track plans in it !! 

PS - my programme had two track plans in it !! 

Hmmm ! ONLY TWO !! out of 16. Perhaps I was a little too hasty with the apology - I thought I was being accused of not seeing a good representation of the the layouts with track plans with my quick glance through. Oh well 50p saved for the next show.

The show itself was still a good family show worth the travel effort and entrance fee. Hope today is just as busy.

Oh, and forgot to add my "best in show" rosette goes to "Cheltenham South & Leckhampton" beating Burntwood Lane into second place owing to a wagon that simply should have been thrown off the layout instead of keeping on re-railing and re-coupling it - over and over again.

Enjoyed this weekends show, I thought Cheltenham and Leckhampton was excellent, a lovely looking layout. The working crane on Wenfordbridge was something else, I can't believe that it would be possible to produce such a masterpiece in 2mm.

Archived