Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Keep the videos coming Simon! I've got an 86 with buffers broken but the brass ones will look much better once fitted. Really liking your SNCB class 90!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, glad you like the videos. Yes think I will be investing in some N Brass Oleo buffers soon. Need to get that SNCB 90 fully finished as still not ordered the nameplates, arrows and plaques for it yet.

The Dapol mk3 coupling system tends to get dislodged when removing and putting the coaches back into storage boxes and even home made storage trays. This has occured quite regularly with my stock for Banbury and if not noticed when setting up we soon find out when running them.

I have now modified my card storage trays with small bits of foam holding the coach at the corridor connection  keeping the couplings clear from the end of the storage slot and making cut outs in the card slot so the coach can be picked up in the middle rather than at the ends. This has reduced the coupling issue a lot although not completely.

Hi Ian,

Think I will try what you have suggested. Although the couplings can be sorted, as you mention its one thing you do not want to be correcting during setup or through the first hour of operation at a show when it all goes wrong infront of the visitors.

Cheers

Simon

Morning Simon,

Hope you had a good weekend. Did you ever get round to finishing the 325 you started?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks mate, no more progress was undertaken, its certainly something that I need, about 3 sets would be good!

Cheers

Simon

Having another silly moment again.....

Its 1991 and 37514 has been sent up to Dallam from Arpley stabling sidings to pick 2 VGAs for the morning trip back to Arpley sdgs. Here it is shortly before coupling up.

post-6834-0-53885800-1498158527_thumb.jpg

After a quick run round in the loop it heads back south.

post-6834-0-50018600-1498158587_thumb.jpg

Here captured on video heading under Bewsey Road overbridge.

A short while later a Railfreight Distribution 37/4 rolls South on the slow line.

Both these 37's will be heading for the paintshop at somepoint.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Absolutely love it fella.

Thanks Porkie, must admit I do like the look of the Railfreight 37's running on Dallam, pairs on the steel coils or Burngullow - Irvine silver bullets would look good along with pairs of 20's on the MGR's............

Maybe in the future

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Porkie, must admit I do like the look of the Railfreight 37's running on Dallam, pairs on the steel coils or Burngullow - Irvine silver bullets would look good along with pairs of 20's on the MGR's............

Maybe in the future

Cheers

Simon

Well, if you want to borrow some stock ;) Edited by branchie
  • Like 2

1984 mate

Just think what was around

81,85,86+87

20s had arrived, 25/40, 45,46,47,56 plus the odd random stuff off the Chat Moss heading to Wales.

First generation DMUS, and parcel DMUS

APT

Different liveries coming through

OhL train and th crane off the Branch

Come on you know you want to......

• Like 2

1984 mate

Just think what was around

81,85,86+87

20s had arrived, 25/40, 45,46,47,56 plus the odd random stuff off the Chat Moss heading to Wales.

First generation DMUS, and parcel DMUS

APT

Different liveries coming through

OhL train and th crane off the Branch

Come on you know you want to......

Hmmm,

How about this, 97405 (40060) on the OHL train at Dallam due to damaged overhead...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60776612@N02/9472770499/in/photolist-fr5qDi-S1DX9E-qrgzrn-7Dhdh1-aAaphF-8a3g4h-a5i1jE-qAUnHq-U5AFvw-eg4BZ3-a7BjGF-iezzUE-8pzev9-q4eqJP-UKCp3m-SRN4zo-6j2FeG-dZGDKf-q4eqPt-iv5h3B-Vr5HYP-iv4JHp-U5AGz5-fhPU5J-i2RZik-opZFNw-buoNxc-a7423J-iv4GVq-UwhR3h-dDNLCu-efNfrY-TWCgKz-dEpSee-gxLgpj-Tq9QQT-q6Vt3g-9ifKJd-fD5MLV-9Zz3bP-949GJK-pHn3Xn-UsmbSa-dhAULb-qPPPQT-7ptSve-Rn77mP-8WpLZW-iv5bjL-9vkwSQ/

Or this Split box 40 on a ballast working at Dallam.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130963309@N05/16822799126/in/photolist-UKCp3m-q4eqJP-q4eqPt-Uu3DyK-QPxvp5-Tfuwyk-VrPsfh-iv4FWx-SNgS4S-fikZfo-TbQSha-f9Wo41-of1Jgy-f7rx7t-fBRAR1-7xqtiW-fhPPpG-p7sqvf-f7raBR-73AjEy-GPPc3D-FTPmGm-FTPFWU-FW8zmF-HDaxR8-Nc8YvQ-xgs5Vr-KyMyvF-LZiZe6-NnsvpF-NjdG1s-A5ky8G-Nnt1uK-wYX9wH-NjdpH7-xfEPWL-LPEkiw-A5jhjw-JCgjL9-rCzf5N-K8F31u

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

I've looked into the possibility of back dating to the 1st June 1983 which would allow alot of the stock mentioned above to pass through Dallam including the OHLE train and the Springs Branch breakdown crane.

I then discovered this photograph on the excellent Wigan World website.

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=3&id=6293&gallery=Railways&offset=140

Looks like the crane would be in use for the next few days and the OHLE train is quite clealy blocked in, so these would not pass through Dallam on that particular day. With this new information in mind I feel it would be safer to stick with 2001.

:) ;)

Cheers

Simon

Hmm food for thought!! ;)

Back to testing the stock and I noticed something interesting with the Farish BYA steel wagons in that the wheelsets are rubbing on the underframe which is creating a bit of drag along with the potential for derailment. I did not notice this at the show but it must of been happening due to the marks made by the flanges rubbing against the plastic. Fortunately its an easy fix with a craft knife! You may just be able to make out the noise this causes on the rear wagon in the clip below. Parcels speeds North, then the 60 hauled Cawoods is overtaken by the Push Pull with an 86/2 on the rear. Finally 60044 heads North with a Lackenby to Garston Steel Terminal.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 9

Back to testing the stock and I noticed something interesting with the Farish BYA steel wagons in that the wheelsets are rubbing on the underframe which is creating a bit of drag along with the potential for derailment. I did not notice this at the show but it must of been happening due to the marks made by the flanges rubbing against the plastic. 

I think they may have fixed this on later releases as I have had some that needed modding, and some that didn't. Of course that could just be a slight manufacturing difference rather than a change in production.

Your layout is really looking the part now!

I think they may have fixed this on later releases as I have had some that needed modding, and some that didn't. Of course that could just be a slight manufacturing difference rather than a change in production.

Your layout is really looking the part now!

Thanks Jonas, you were right about the change as I have just taken 2 apart, 1 good, 1 bad. The relief of the cross members is shallower on the later one (right hand wagon). See the picture below. Looks like 2 of my 4 will need some material removing.

post-6834-0-46275400-1498584206_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

Glad I wasn't imagining it! Had chance to catch up in your videos today too and must say it's very impressive. It's cool to see things moving on something I've been following from the start. You must be pleased!

Edited by jonas

Glad I wasn't imagining it! Had chance to catch up in your videos today too and must say it's very impressive. It's cool to see gains moving on something I've been following from the start. You must be pleased!

Thanks Jonas, glad you like the video. Yes I am very pleased how its turned out but there is still lots to do, isn't there always? The trouble I am finding with having the full layout set up is that its quite easy to have a running session instead of doing some actual work on the layout :) ;).

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Amazing stuff Simon!

I've just read up since last checking in about Page 15 - I'd been putting it off as so many pages to catch up on, but so glad I did, the layout has come on so much, and this thread is just dripping in nostalgia!!

I love how we've all got our own favourite time periods based on our ages or experiences, and 2001 is just bang on!! Keep up the great work - I can't wait to be hanging on the barriers staring at this layout for hours at a show sometime soon!

Cheers,

James