Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Premium

Just spent a really enjoyable afternoon reading through the 31cpages of this excellent layouts history. Only found out about it through seeing what posts Ian `roundhouse` had been making. I help him operate Banbury.

Hope to see more of the layout in the future. Will definitely be trying to get to Stafford in 2018 to see it.

• 3 months later...

Hi Simon,

I have just enjoyed reading this from start to finish, what an incredible layout you have made. You have captured the era perfectly and brought back a lot of good memories.

Keep up the good work, I am already looking forward to the next post.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments, hopefully I will be progressing bits for Dallam along the next few months - need to get the Cawoods rake finished and weathered! Not had chance to do any modelling since Christmas due to lots of DIY!

Cheers.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Well finally got to do some stock for Dallam. I bought a Dapol class 156 well over a year ago with the intention of respraying in Regional Railways North West livery. I have not decided on a unit number yet but here is the progress so far.

post-6834-0-76303700-1490822347_thumb.jpg

Also made a start on stripping down a Farish class 90, this will become SNCB liveried 90128.

post-6834-0-63221900-1490822420_thumb.jpg

Aswell as a respray, this will receive some detailing and a Dapol pantograph.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Love this location. If I had the space...

There is a pic of the container terminal in Paul Shannon's "EWS" book which caught my eye a while ago as a cracking small freight terminal project. Throw in AC electrics and long trains and you've got yourself a layout!

Hi Simon. Looking forward to seeing the class 90 progress. I had been plucking up the courage to have a go at 90029 Frachtverbindungen and finally got started last week. So far all I have managed is to make a mess of the first coat. I dont know if it is the same with the EWS 90, but the frieghtliner 90 has slightly 3D transefers, so after the first grey undercoat I could still make out the frieghtline name, not the end of the world. But not the best start for my confidence on my first ever re-spray :) . I am sure your modelling skills are way ahead of mine, but it might be worth checking to save making the same mistake as me.

Hi Simon. Looking forward to seeing the class 90 progress. I had been plucking up the courage to have a go at 90029 Frachtverbindungen and finally got started last week. So far all I have managed is to make a mess of the first coat. I dont know if it is the same with the EWS 90, but the frieghtliner 90 has slightly 3D transefers, so after the first grey undercoat I could still make out the frieghtline name, not the end of the world. But not the best start for my confidence on my first ever re-spray :) . I am sure your modelling skills are way ahead of mine, but it might be worth checking to save making the same mistake as me.

Thanks for the comments guys. Made a start on the 90 which will become 90128. It has been stripped in Superstrip and then given a wash over.

Got a Pete Harvey detailing kit which will be fitted along with a Dapol pantograph.

post-6834-0-78812800-1490985504_thumb.jpg

Plan is to detail one end up and leave a coupling on the opposite end.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

Hi David, yes the EWS 90 is the same. I stripped all the paint and logos of using Phoenix Superstrip, its not cheap but does the job.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Jeremy. Made a start on fitting the replacement headlight units.

First the old light and horn moulding cut out from the body. The slot was filed to size and checked with replacement etch until the slot was correct.

post-6834-0-42893600-1491052652_thumb.jpg

The headlight etch glued into position.

post-6834-0-13978400-1491052696_thumb.jpg

This is being carried out on both ends. The marker/headlight units will be assembled on a seperate piece of plastic and fitted into position once the body has been painted.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Nice one Simon. The effort will all be worthwhile in the end.

You've got me thinking about doing my class 90 now! I did this conversion a few years back on one and painted it in the Greater Anglia blue colours.

Will you also reprofile the cab roofs?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Thanks for the comments guys. Not thought about the roof profile Jeremy, may have a look at that.

Thanks for posting the pics of your 90128 Porkie, question I have is regards the grey on the roof - is it rail grey?

Cheers

Simon

Oooh that I can't answer as westcoastresprays did it.

Anthony a top man, sure he will tell you what colour it is. if you drop him a message

Thanks Porkie, may just spray it rail grey as its going to be weathered for 2001 condition so should look ok. Famous last words and alll that!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

It most certainly is Rail grey. All the best with 128 Simon. Completed quite a few 128s now, including one for myself, also 129. Was never keen on 130...Will we ever see a retooled 90 in N? Here's hoping.

Great progress as ever, also with the layout.

Cheers, Anthony

It most certainly is Rail grey. All the best with 128 Simon. Completed quite a few 128s now, including one for myself, also 129. Was never keen on 130...Will we ever see a retooled 90 in N? Here's hoping.

Great progress as ever, also with the layout.

Cheers, Anthony

Thanks Anthony, you have got me thinking about 129 aswell now. Hmmm

Cheers

• Like 1

Had another hour or so to work on the 90 this afternoon. Headlight units are now fully glued in both ends and filler added as required. Also the TDM fittings have been added.

I have had a go at sanding the cab roof at the front, may need a little more work here. Also adding wire handrails, these have been made using guitar wire.They need a bit more adjustment to get them tight upto the bodyside as they are recessed on the prototype. Here is a picture of the progress so far and an untouched 90 as a comparison.

post-6834-0-51770000-1491154945_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

That's starting to look really good Simon. The cab roof is already starting to look better.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, yes think it has made a difference and glad I had a go. Once I am happy with the work undertaken on 128 I will modify my other 90's to suit. Still got to move the bogies like I did with the 87's aswell.

Cheers

Simon

Agreed, amazing what a little work does to improve the 90. 90130 was always my favourite of the 'euro' liveries, if the most subtle!

Thanks, one thing I have just realised is that both 128 & 129 were renumbered back to 028 & 029 prior to 2001 which the transfer sheet does not allow, think I will need to order another set of transfers so I can pinch the 0. Another 90 on the possible 'to do' list is 90223 in Railfreight Distribution livery as seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/sirtophamhat/6783119643/in/photolist-bkpg9F-oQaRFL-bjBK1u-evDTB4-nwkGHD-6LgEhj-beqbYp-e9MABK-pg3p7f-auoJhx-f6u2uZ-q4HAtW-FNu6cm-7sUJzm-gXUFmL-8aFYpr-9pY7Kh-67cTmp-dPjRtR-nwnnj5-nyhtb5-FCi79c-AUfzf6-nuzPv5-nf8WMP-vMU6tw-QiZJsf-63kqo6-uRMwgX-vNDLqB-vW19TM-zxdCiJ-4UwBRH-63kq2t-8rc3Fo-8rc3CW-pfWXzR-d1LRxW-ddBMoZ-e5QX4m-9B1oZs-4UwBn4-pZJRAC-8LNfwz-8r8Vu8-8LNfuP-4UAQCb-9dHReD-7ApvQr-4UwBFK

Cheers

Simon