Halfords now stocking Hornby

I popped into my favourite rattlecan supplier this morning, only to be met with a small section of Christmas present orientated toys on display, which included the Hornby Western Spirit Train Set:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=986031&catalogId=10151

Other items included some Maccano and Scalextric sets, but there were no other railway items.

Where will it end? You'll be able to buy milk from the garage next.

Errrrr.  Milk  has  been  sold  in  garages  for  some  years  now!!    One  local  garage  has  a  good selection  of   diecast  vehicles!! but  no  trains  (YET)

Halfords might even start stocking things of use to mend cars with next!

The store has recently been revamped, and it took me a while to find the paint aisle (which was right at the back). All I saw when I walked in was kids scooters and personal headphones...

I popped into my favourite rattlecan supplier this morning, only to be met with a small section of Christmas present orientated toys on display, which included the Hornby Western Spirit Train Set:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=986031&catalogId=10151

Other items included some Maccano and Scalextric sets, but there were no other railway items.

I remember the days when in the run up to Christmas (which in those times meant commencing Dec 1st at the earliest) many of the local village/small market town shops suddenly stocked toys and games. The wool shop was a favourite, because it always had large Dublo 3-rail sets and big boxes of Meccano in the window, where most of the year would be just balls of wool and knitting needles. The book and card shop had some as well, although they tended to be Bayko house building sets.

I used to have to be dragged away by my mother, as my nose would have been permanently pressed against the glass while I dreamed of opening the "Flying Scotsman" set box, completely unaware that it must have cost the equivalent of about two weeks pay for my Dad.

Round Christmas in the 50's  our local high street  furniture store would stock Britains  lead lsoldiers  which I loved .They were  always expensive and most toy shops didnt stock them .I got the few I could afford from there or Hamleys fantastic and expensive toy soldier department in the basement  of  that fabulous store .That was of course when you could actually move freely and at leisure  there not todays cattle market  .Later the only place I could get Monogram and AMT car kits from the States was in a department store in Leytonstone or Romford but only at Christmas.I am feeling all nostalgic .I still cant afford britains lead soldiers last time I looked but my wife has a huge set of  lead farm animals.All my soldiers got blown up  sadly literally sometimes around firework night .

Martin

If Halfrauds are selling Hornby, then does this mean the prices will have increased to the higher levels they charge for their normal items?

Stewart

I'm not doubting that they charge a premium for certain items, but to be honest I think £75 is good value when compared to the prices of similar items at online box shifters, there are a few others with similar content but they're not as widely available. Any model shops still open may berate them for selling it, but they would have previously had competition from Toys R us or Woolworths, but there was never alot of profit in train sets anyway and it's more trade for them as first time purchasers seek additional items.

It was quite common to find train sets in numerous stores leading upto Christmas, often not on sale or return which made the new year sales good hunting grounds. Many of my, now disposed of, collection of Mainline and Airfix stock came from such sources where you could pick up a complete set for far less than the loco alone cost. One such source, topical given the Modelzone acquistion, was WHS.

• RMweb Premium

One day Halfords will start stocking car parts, I haven't been in that bicycle shop for years...

The Q

I also remember our funiture store stocking toys for Christmas that was in a village in Wiltshire..

The Q

[snippety-snip] was in a department store in Leytonstone [/snip].

Martin

Bearmans?

Happy memories indeed!  It was a boy's dream.  Apart from trains, I acquired various Scalextric accesories, Thunderbirds models, zoo animals (Britain's? - pre-Scheich anyway), toy soldiers (plastic, not lead), Airfix models and soldiers; even my first chemistry set came from there.  Made a special visit once to see Michael Caine (not sure why he was there).

Bearmans?

Happy memories indeed!  It was a boy's dream.  Apart from trains, I acquired various Scalextric accesories, Thunderbirds models, zoo animals (Britain's? - pre-Scheich anyway), toy soldiers (plastic, not lead), Airfix models and soldiers; even my first chemistry set came from there.  Made a special visit once to see Michael Caine (not sure why he was there).

Perhaps he wanted to blow the bl**dy doors off!

• 1 month later...

Archived