Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hermann Goring?s Model Train Layout

Do not mention P4, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Funnily enough I did a bit of reading about this particular layout. Georing is one of a long list of (in)famous modellers. Reading about his particular setup, it does reak of the idea that it must be bigger than anyone elses. I can't help thinking that Herman would have pugged it away somewhere as some elements have survived. Does that mean there is a cache of Maerklin loco's hidden somewhere? I doubt it, if anything they probably got poached elsewhere. going by the pictures, given that railway modelling was only becoming widespread about this time, it must have been the Miniatur Wunderland of its time.

Apparently  Adolf Galland used his fame as a fighter pilot to have a model railway set up in his quarters.

Seems the Luftwaffe were quite keen on model trains.

Andy

Paul Brickhill's “Reach for the Sky” describes Douglas Bader's being taken to visit Galland at the Luftwaffe airfield at Wissant. In the officer's mess, Bader was surprised to be shown an elaborate model railway, which Galland operated, “looking like a small boy having fun”. The German interpreter said: “This is the Herr Oberstleutnant's favourite place when he is not flying. It is a replica of Reichsmarshal Goering's railway, but of course the Reichsmarshal's is much bigger.” Galland appears to have been liked and respected on the British side, in contrast to Goering ...

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For those of you who did not know, Hermann Goring was a big fan of model trains and had two giant layouts in his famous Carinhall residence. This probably won't change your opinion of him but it is interesting to note.

(Article I found):

http://marklinstop.com/episodes/10-marklin-at-carinhall-hermann-goring-s-miniature-railway

I note that the first reference in the article is to the biography of Goring by the British historian  David Irving - well known holocaust denier.

Jerry 

• RMweb Premium

Good practice .My Fathers trains got regularly straffed at during the Battle of Britain by fighters  ,probably not wanting to bring back any ammo .Dad was a fireman on the Southern .He  was also shot at  by tip and run  FW190's at Dover ,the  so called tip and run  fighters hated by one and all .Dover was dodgy place to be in the  war .

At least one locomotive fought back, the boiler exploded and bought down the attacking aircraft.

• Like 3

At least one locomotive fought back, the boiler exploded and bought down the attacking aircraft.

Then there was the case of one Luftwaffe pilot who mistakenly took the RH&DR to be a standard gauge railway. He dives in for a strafing attack..........Result......Crrruummp

Ex-LB&SCR D3 2365 Victoria was departing Lydd with a local passenger train on 27th November 1942 when it was attacked by two Focke-Wulf Fw 190s. The boiler exploded as one passed over which crashed, killing the pilot. The loco's dome was found 85 yards away with dents in it. The dome casing was 100 yards away with aluminium and fabric embedded in it. The driver was shaken but unhurt and the fireman received minor scalding. The loco received a new boiler and remained in service until 1952. I haven't seen a post-1942 photo but I have read it had a "kill" painted on the cab.

Cheers

David

• Like 6

Ex-LB&SCR D3 2365 Victoria was departing Lydd with a local passenger train on 27th November 1942 when it was attacked by two Focke-Wulf Fw 190s. The boiler exploded as one passed over which crashed, killing the pilot. The loco's dome was found 85 yards away with dents in it. The dome casing was 100 yards away with aluminium and fabric embedded in it. The driver was shaken but unhurt and the fireman received minor scalding. The loco received a new boiler and remained in service until 1952. I haven't seen a post-1942 photo but I have read it had a "kill" painted on the cab.

Cheers

David

It's this kind of factoid that makes me love RM Web.

Hey, not so much about credibility and the flat earth society.  The only reason I have never been to the U.S. is because I am worried about going too far and falling off the edge.  It would be disastrous to be floating about in a void without a model railway to work on.

Derek

The only reason I have never been to the U.S. is because I am worried about going too far and falling off the edge.

I can assure you that even the West coast of the US isn't too close to 'the edge'.

It has been said that "everything loose rolls west", but we manage to cling on.

It wasn't all one sided, as I remember reading of an allied fighter, as witnessed by his wingman (I can't remember if it was RAF or American) that attacked a train which happened to be carrying ordnance, (V1s I seem to remember). The train blew up, as did the strafing fighter. So severe was the explosion that no trace was found of the fighter... Such is war.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone who denies the holocaust has, in my view, about as much credibility as a historian as the flat earth society.

Jerry

It was before I knew who he was. There was no talk or very little talk about the holocaust in his biography of Erwin Rommel. It seemed to be well written and well researched. Even after I knew who he was, I have no shame admitting that it was a good book to read.

• Like 1

The Nazis are a metaphorical train wreck in history - grotesque and horrifying yet fascinating and compelling.

The fact that we share something in common with Herr Göring is uncomfortable and should serve as a reminder that regimes like the Third Reich are not only possible but they gain their power through the regular folk (Völker) who support them. They weren't supermen and they put their pants on one leg at a time.

Theirs is a disturbing and cautionary tale of the dangers of nationalistic ideologies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Goring is a seaside settlement in W. Sussex. Visited and overflown, many times by the Reichmarschall's Luftwaffe...

....Goering sounds more appropriate.

Probably became a fan of 3-rail electrification after the Lufthansa, pre-war, aerial reconnaissance of the area  

He would have enjoyed the GWR Kings and Castles passing through Goring anyway... :D

The attic layout probably mid to late 1930s featuring ME 70 12920 in gray and CCS 66 12921 (or 12920?)

normal_attic_layout_goring.jpg?135334331

How can they tell that it's gray grey...the photo is all shades of grey.  :scratchhead:

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Premium

Cheers

David

If ever a loco should have been preserved, it was that one - only an 0-4-4T but surely deserved to be an honorary member of the Battle Of Britain class!

• Like 1