Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Hermann Goring?s Model Train Layout

• RMweb Premium

For those of you who did not know, Hermann Goring was a big fan of model trains and had two giant layouts in his famous Carinhall residence. This probably won't change your opinion of him but it is interesting to note.

(Article I found):

http://marklinstop.com/episodes/10-marklin-at-carinhall-hermann-goring-s-miniature-railway

• Like 3

The story goes that he was a subscriber to Model Railway News.

When the war started his copy continued to be despatched and a note was added apologizing for the poor quality of the paper.

The explanation was that this was due to problems in obtaining supplies of high quality paper due to there being a war going on.

Bernard

More of a train set than a model railway. For some reason I'd imagined that he had something like a German version of the Norris layout, with beautiful scale models commissioned from professional model makers. But I suppose it's typical of the man's character that he filled his loft full of vast amounts of RTR stuff - as if he'd seen the demonstration layout in the Marklin showroom and wanted a bigger one for himself.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More of a train set than a model railway. For some reason I'd imagined that he had something like a German version of the Norris layout, with beautiful scale models commissioned from professional model makers. But I suppose it's typical of the man's character that he filled his loft full of vast amounts of RTR stuff - as if he'd seen the demonstration layout in the Marklin showroom and wanted a bigger one for himself.

I'd hate to be the rivet counter that points out "Herr Goring, that loco would have never run with that train or the colours on the coach are all wrong compared all the other coaches". :D

For those of you who did not know, Hermann Goring was a big fan of model trains and had two giant layouts in his famous Carinhall residence. This probably won't change your opinion of him but it is interesting to note. (Article I found):http://marklinstop.com/episodes/10-marklin-at-carinhall-hermann-goring-s-miniature-railway

Where in Carinhall were they set up? In the right-wing? Or the extreme right-wing?

But I suppose it's typical of the man's character that he filled his loft full of vast amounts of RTR stuff

.. and by reverse inference i guess you assume that those who model railways using RTR 'stuff' have a similar character to the man?

Potentially high;ly offensive to many (probably the vast majority) who do model railways using RTR 'stuff'.

On Antiques Roadshow a few years ago a an old soldier pulled two stunning Marklin  0 scale 4-6-2's  out of a rucksack and asked how much they were worth .He "liberated "them  .They were fabulous models and worth a small fortune.

I note William Hague is in one of the photographs in a link .He doest age much does he .?

Anyone know where these models are now?

A box of buildings believed to be from the attic layout were found in storage with the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives unit in Berlin earlier this year. The rest of the models are believed to have been destroyed when Carinhall was flattened in April 1945.

Cheers

David

.. and by reverse inference i guess you assume that those who model railways using RTR 'stuff' have a similar character to the man?

Potentially high;ly offensive to many (probably the vast majority) who do model railways using RTR 'stuff'.

I'm sure you can live with it; you attract most of it yourself!

...and they do say you get more right-wing as you get older.....

Edited by Horsetan

Goring is a seaside settlement in W. Sussex. Visited and overflown, many times by the Reichmarschall's Luftwaffe...

....Goering sounds more appropriate.

Probably became a fan of 3-rail electrification after the Lufthansa, pre-war, aerial reconnaissance of the area  

Göring, but I don't think anybody could be bothered finding the ASCII code for the special character.

Cheers

David

It's easy, google; copy; paste! I did it on my phone ( although actually, accented characters are easier to get on an iPhone than a PC!)