Howes Sound Decoderss

• RMweb Premium

Went on to Howes site, scrolled through looking for a particular decoder, every decoder is shown as sold out. Do they have a problem with supply, or is it something worse?

No. Quite the opposite.

Howes stock a number of decoders after they buy a batch from ESU. They have the three main types of micro decoder, normal range, and the one with the bigger speaker. Some then diverge for the 8 pin or 21 pin.

What happens is that the company doesnt buy in a load of them and then blow them for every single engine type they do. Instead the company takes orders on decoders and then when one type, like the standard 8 pin sells out, they show those as sold out. Often things like the micro decoders remain, but its not unusual for the entire range to be sold out as they are in that much of a demand due to the excellent quality, which I also reccomend as a happy customer. You can understand why they do this, as it gives people what they want and they dont stand around with spare stock when they could make other sales. I think its simple and efficient.

Once a new batch is in, they fill any outstanding orders that have been placed and then show they are available again. If you want, ring and place an order as the next batch from ESU normally doesnt take long. Then you dont miss out.

Hope that helps...

Guest 838rapid

They record the sounds onto them on a as required basis,Which is why they show as not in stock.

Think the best thing is to ring and speak to directly. 

I have bought decoders from Howes many times over the last few years and a very satified customer here.

• 1 month later...

Nearly all of the sound decoders in my large selection of locos are by Howes. A lot are Loksound V3.5 and a few are V4. It's so unfortunate that steam locos have the speaker in the tender. Only one of mine a Hornby BB has the speaker in the loco. I would have liked a smaller speaker or two, a large one in the tender and a smaller one in the smoke box. I did have three locos with Mr Soundguy sounds but had them reblown by Howes as they were pathetic. A real waste of money. Yes Howes do supply the sounds at full volume but it's easy to turn them down as there in CV63 at a range of 0-64.

The only other sound decoders I have are Quantum ones in Australian HO models.

If I want a decoder from Howes I phone them and talk to a human.

I think that you should not worry about the stability of  this business as it looks like they take a very watchful eye on stock levels which is a wise move in my book. I have purchased sounds chips from them in the pasted as have friends of mine and the service is excellent

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of talking to Bryan in person (on the phone) a few days ago. Besides a long and pleasant chat about lots of different things, he informed me that he had just done the Q1 and Warship decoders I had ordered.

I' ll be reporting further on these when they arrive, and I will post videos in the DCC sound area in due course.

Archived