North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

Trenholme Junction is a model of a railway junction in a fictitious place based on the railways in the North East of England in around 1962. All of the locomotives and rolling stock would have been around at this time, although some would not have ventured to the North East.

This film is one of a series which is building a library of scenes to be used at a later date when the current layout is dismantled and a new one built.

Filmed through the eyes of a child, plenty of traffic around today for the young boy to watch and marvel at.

Testing the new communications in the Train Shed, here's last weeks film in monochrome, as it would have been filmed at the time.

Trenholme Junction is a model of a railway junction in a fictitious place based on the railways in the North East of England in around 1962. All of the locomotives and rolling stock would have been around at this time, although some would not have ventured to the North East.

This film is one of a series which is building a library of scenes to be used at a later date when the current layout is dismantled and a new one built.

Filmed through the eyes of a child, plenty of traffic around today for the young boy to watch and marvel at.

Its sunny summers day in the North East of England and the year is 1962.

What would a nine year old do in the days before the internet? Listen to the radio? Watch one of the two channels on the television?.

Its quite likely he would go to the local railway station to watch the trains.

The aim of the Trenholme Junction project is re-create the look and feel of the railways and how a nine year child would see this unique time when steam was being replaced by diesel and electric traction.

This film continues the series which is set on and around the Main Station of the model railway which was built as a film set for the purpose. The camera positions are at child's eye level.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway which sets out show a busy towns' railway in the early 1960's and located in the North East of England..

The camera angles and positions are so that the viewer can view the scenes from the same perspective as nine year old child.

The model is in OO gauge, scale is 4mm to 1foot.

The centre of the camera lens is 16mm from the base of the camera which means the viewer of the video is the correct eye height for a child of this age.

This film is set on the Main Station at Trenholme Junction, a model railway purpose built as a film set. The time frame is the early to mid sixties when steam traction was being phased out in favour of diesel.

This series of films is to make a stock of scenes which can be used at a later date to make the basis of further films when this layout is dismantled and a new one built.

Although based on the North East of England, there are quite a few of the locomotives which probably never strayed to the area. All the rolling stock is of the time though.

All the filming angles are from a child's perspective.

Trenholme Junction is a depiction of railways in the North East of England in the 1960's filmed from the perspective of a nine year old child.

Since this series of films has been started I have been asked continually to show overhead shots of the layout. I have always refused to do this because when I was a nine year old, I never owned or flew in a helicopter and therefore can't make a film I've never had the experience of.

The subject has sort of reared its head again, Ian (wraggi1) has asked if I could maybe film from a footbridge or a grassy bank, so in this film I have attempted the footbridge thing, think it works, and does not violate my filming angle rules.

This mask photograph was taken on board Renaissance Railcar Goups class 101/111 hybrid DMU by Kris Bromley.

It was taken on the GCR and with Kris' permission I thought it would be good to take a ride through the Main Station at Trenholme Junction on-board. Just a little extra film in the latest series in case it pours down on the Bank Holiday.

Continuing the series of films made on the Main Station at Trenholme Junction. There has been a very good reaction to filming from the footbridge in last weeks production, so there are some more scenes from this angle in this weeks film.

The last scenes have been made using a photograph from inside a Mark 1 coach as a mask to give a passenger view of a trip through the station. The photograph was taken by James Culver and is used here with his kind permission.

Trenholme Junction is a purpose built model railway designed as a film set. Set in the 1960's, it depicts the working railway of the day.

The film shows two trains, one steam hauled with coal trucks travelling from north to south and the other diesel hauling tankers travelling in the reverse direction. The route taken through the junction is using the goods lines and so does not pass through the station.

The viewing positions are looking through the hedges at both the north and south station approaches, signal box window and door, engine shed window, engine shed workshop window and the north carriage sidings. We follow both trains at the same time to see them pass each other just south of the Main Station.

Parcels are a large part of the operations at Trenholme Junction, a look back to the 1960's on a large railway station. Two sets of parcels trains are made up in the first part of this film, on both the North Bay and West platform of the Station.

The final part of the film shows the view a Goods Guard would have had in the lonely job at the back of the train as it passes through the station. Two of the locomotives have sound fitted.

I get a lot of requests for the monochrome versions of the films, and, as it is summer and there are lots of things I need to do outside I'm having a break from filming. For those who need a fix, some monochrome re-edits to keep you going.

This film is set on the Main Station at Trenholme Junction, a model railway purpose built as a film set. The time frame is the early to mid sixties when steam traction was being phased out in favour of diesel.

This series of films is to make a stock of scenes which can be used at a later date to make the basis of further films when this layout is dismantled and a new one built.

Although based on the North East of England, there are quite a few of the locomotives which probably never strayed to the area. All the rolling stock is of the time though.

All the filming angles are from a child's perspective.

I get a lot of requests for the monochrome versions of the films, and, as it is summer and there are lots of things I need to do outside I'm having a break from filming. For those who need a fix, some monochrome re-edits to keep you going.

Continuing the series of films made on the Main Station at Trenholme Junction. There has been a very good reaction to filming from the footbridge in last weeks production, so there are some more scenes from this angle in this weeks film.

The last scenes have been made using a photograph from inside a Mark 1 coach as a mask to give a passenger view of a trip through the station. The photograph was taken by James Culver and is used here with his kind permission.

Trenholme Junction is a purpose built model railway designed as a film set. Set in the 1960's, it depicts the working railway of the day.

The film shows two trains, one steam hauled with coal trucks travelling from north to south and the other diesel hauling tankers travelling in the reverse direction. The route taken through the junction is using the goods lines and so does not pass through the station.

The viewing positions are looking through the hedges at both the north and south station approaches, signal box window and door, engine shed window, engine shed workshop window and the north carriage sidings. We follow both trains at the same time to see them pass each other just south of the Main Station.

Parcels are a large part of the operations at Trenholme Junction, a look back to the 1960's on a large railway station. Two sets of parcels trains are made up in the first part of this film, on both the North Bay and West platform of the Station.

The final part of the film shows the view a Goods Guard would have had in the lonely job at the back of the train as it passes through the station. Two of the locomotives have sound fitted.

For those who wish to know more about Trenholme Junction, there is a link section in the notes below to the blog. Although the links are to specific items, there are lots more articles in the blog, click through and have a look.

Drifting off to a bright summers day train spotting at Trenholme Junction in the early 1960's.

There are both steam and diesel locomotives at work side by side, a situation which would soon quickly and dramatically change. The end of steam is on the horizon (only a few years away) and the Beeching axe would fall on a large part of the railway.

Trenholme Junction is a model purpose built as a film set which transports the viewer back to a time which is probably one of the most interesting in UK railway history. The most influential part of my childhood.

• 2 weeks later...

Trenholme Junction is a model railway purpose built as a film set. The aim of the project is to re-create the look and feel of a busy railway junction in the early 1960's.

The track layout is indicative of the North East of England and all of the rolling stock is of the period depicted, however, there are some that would not have appeared in this area of the country.

The 'set' has been built, primarily, to film the movements of the trains when viewed through the eyes of an eight year old child. The centre of the lens is 16mm from the base of the camera which is about the same distance (4mm to the foot) to the eyes of an eight year old when standing.

In the past I have made several films experimenting with unusual angles and many layers and in this film I seek to extend the complexity of this type of presentation. Almost all the scenes are dual angle, viewing each scene from two angles at once.

The filming of each scene has to done twice, once from each angle, otherwise, to do it with two cameras in one take, the camera would be in shot in most cases.

The filming of each of the scenes is fairly straight forward, the main work in this type of presentation is in the editing which takes about ten times longer than in my normal output, but the results, I feel are quite pleasing.

• 3 weeks later...

Another in the series of films looking through the eyes of an eight year old child at the British Railways scene of the 1960's. This series of scenes will contribute to a library that will be used at a later date when the current layout is dismantled and the new 'infinity layout' is built. (more information on the infinity layout -see the blog, links in notes).

Most scenes in the 'Main Station' series emphasise the long distant shots capable on this layout, a primary objective in the design criteria. The future layout may not have the luxury of so much space and therefore the inclusion of these scenes with give an authentic look and feel to future films.

• 3 weeks later...

Trenholme Junction is a model railway built as a film set. It depicts the scenes of British Railways in the 1960's viewed through the eyes of an eight year old child.

This content of this film is a hybrid, the first part uses scenes taken from a previous production and filmed around the Main Station and the second part is new. The idea is to re-use scenes after the layout is dismantled, so creating new films from stock. Many model railway layouts in the past have used 'scenic breaks' which divide them into different 'scenes'. One way is to use a bridge. I use tunnels to achieve this effect. For more information on the 'Infinite Layout' see the links to the blog in the notes below.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway based in the North East of England. It depicts a typical large junction set in the 1960's. In this film we see Deltic D9004 on an early container train as it makes its way through one of the station roads at the Main Station. The small containers are forerunners to the larger ones used worldwide today.

The train halts briefly to allow a passenger train, hauled by a Black 5, to start its journey. Filmed from the track side, on the station platforms and from the south Signal Box.

Filmed at Trenholme Junction, a model railway depicting the railways as they were in the 1960's. The films are all made from the view point of an eight year old child. My earliest memories of train travel were travelling in the compartment behind the driver where you could see the same things he could.

In this film the view is from behind the drivers position but the train is moving forward and the view is to the rear.

The film was made on the layout and during editing a photograph taken from inside the real thing is placed in front of the layout footage.

Many thanks to Richard Hargreaves for allowing me to use his super photograph in the making of this film.

Standing behind the driver position was my favourite (and I suspect many others) spot when riding on the DMU's which were brand new when I was eight years old. They seemed to take over overnight, one day it was steamers and grubby carriages and the next, brand new super trains you could see where you were going without having to stand on the seat. These new trains had great views (and no more clipped ears for climbing on the seats).

This film is a re-creation of the view you would have seen if you were stood in the centre of the coach immediately behind the driver partition. The film is in two layers, the first is a photograph taken by Richard Hargreaves (and used with his kind permission) and the second layer is recorded on a journey around Trenholme Junction, calling at all five stations. An unusual view, looking back on the journey.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway purpose built as a film set.

The set and all its contents are set in the period of time in the 1960's and its location is the the North East of England.

Each week a new film is produced to add to its library, there are over 400 and many are built up of scenes which can be edited together in many ways to produced more unique films.

The theme of this film is simple, watching trains passing through one of the stations on the junction as viewed by a nine year old boy, fascinated by what he saw.

We are back again on the station on Trenholme Junction simply enjoying the passage of trains. The scene is a reminder of the 1960's when steam traction was giving way to Diesel.

The film is viewed through the eyes of a nine year old boy who grew up in the North East of England and who lived beside the railway at this time.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway built as a film set in order to re-create the railways as they were in the 1960's.

The place is the North East of England, but many areas of the whole country are represented by the variety of locomotives and rolling stock which visits the place.

This is another film which will be part of an expanding archive film clips which will be super enhanced at a future date.

The watching series will film the trains from many different angles.

In this film we return to the track side on the east of Trenholme Junction where the Lower Marshalling Yard is adjacent to the both the station and the Diesel Motive Power Depot.

D5085 arrives with tankers and leaves the train in the reception road and then retires back to the shed. D5237 is on pilot duty at the Marshalling Yard today, picks up the train and deposits the tankers into the yard and removes the brake van.

Finally Class 47 D1100 passes through with a passenger train.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway built as a film set in order to re-create the railways as they were in the 1960's and viewed through the eyes of a nine year old boy.