North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

When David Hockney was asked in a TV documentary, why he had painted the (tree) stump which appeared in more than one of his paintings, he replied that it could be viewed from many angles and was always different depending on the conditions of the day.

A model railway on show at an exhibition can only be intended to be viewed from one angle although it's a 3D entity.

Trenholme Junction was built to be viewed from all angles and gives the film maker the similar ability, as in this case the artist, to look at the same thing and yet to create other interesting viewpoints.

A new, smaller camera now allows views from inside the buildings on the layout gives another dimension. In this film we look out from two of the Signal Boxes, two Goods Sheds and from the comfort of the bar in the local Public House.

Although there has been films made from the locations before, none are quite the same as this. 

• RMweb Premium

Whilst filming the Christmas special, I don't have time to make the usual weekly film. This is a favourite of mine, made nearly a year ago, re-edited into monochrome, the usual production at the time Trenholme Junction is set.
A journey around the Junction viewed from the cab of a 1960's Diesel Multiple Unit

It's relaxing to watch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are seven Class 47 locomotives on Trenholme Junction, but most of them don't feature in any of the films because they have poor running reliability. All are early Heljan models and most have been fitted with three different decoders, all of which have fried. They also need extensive wheel cleaning before each run. I have fitted four of them with Hatton's decoders and they seem to be good, so far, so in this film they are the featured locomotives.

• Like 1

In last weeks film the activities were based around the Main Station and used some of the fleet of Class 47 locomotives and because the film was liked I have carried on the set into this weeks production.

Another couple of the 47's have been given the new Hattons decoders and had some extreme wheel cleaning and they feature in this film in charge of the grain train and the breakdown train. Some gentle 08 action on Station Pilot duties completes the scene.

And the seventh 47? That still runs like a pig, inching forward, stopping and then inching forward some more grrrrr.......

• Like 1

At the Main Station again for this weeks film.

The DMU, (Diesel Multiple Unit) changed local and Intermediate journeys in virtually all parts of the country in the 1960's and there are eight sets working on Trenholme Junction.

We see two of the sets come into the station from the south carriage sidings. The four car formation is two two-car sets coupled together, a practice widely used to increase capacity especially at peak times.

A south bound Black 5 ambles through the Main Station along the avoiding road with 42 wagon empty mineral train followed by a 2 car diesel multiple unit travelling north.

Class 25 D7645 arrives at the north carriage sidings to pick up its coaching stock and then places it in the platform.

From the south, a Crab arrives at the parcels platform, followed by Deltic into the main station.

The Crab and the Class 25 then both continue their journeys.

Just a bit of trainspotting in the 1960's.....

Trenholme Junction is a ficticious model railway which depicts the railway scene in the early 1960's. The view point which it is filmed is looking through the eyes of a nine year old child besotted with the scale and complexity of the subject.

This film is around the Main Station and opens with a locomotive exchange after the termination of its journey. The Deltic locomotive leaves its train and returns to the diesel shed and the station pilot removes the train into the south carriage sidings.

A steam working of empty mineral wagons drifts slowly past the station on the goods line.

A four coach DMU arrives and a two coach unit departs from the south bay platform before the breakdown train passes the south signal box and on to destinations unknown.

Another visit to the Main Station at Trenholme Junction, a model railway set in the 1960's when steam was being replaced by Diesel power.

The scene is set in the Middlesbrough area of the North East of England and illustrates the complexity of the railways in this area.

Filmed from the view point of a nine year old child simply watching this theatre of operations which were an everyday occurrence at this time.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway built as a film set to show what the railways looked like in the 1960's. Inspiration for the layout was taken from my memories of the railway that I grew up beside and travelled as a child.

Around the Main Station this week just watching the trains go by. A couple of expresses pass through in order to satisfy the needs of the speed junkies and the Station Pilot is busy as usual in the more gentle movement of stock from the south carriage sidings to the platform.

Main Station 24.

Colour version had editing mistake, corrected here and produced in monochrome.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway built as a film set to show what the railways looked like in the 1960's. Inspiration for the layout was taken from my memories of the railway that I grew up beside and travelled as a child.

Around the Main Station this week just watching the trains go by. A couple of expresses pass through in order to satisfy the needs of the speed junkies and the Station Pilot is busy as usual in the more gentle movement of stock from the south carriage sidings to the platform.

As requested by Paul Stubbs, a re-edit of this film in black and white.

An afternoon filming the comings and goings around the South Bay Platforms of the Main Station at Trenholme Junction.

Trenholme Junction is a OO scale model of a typical large town railway network as would have been seen in the early part of the 1960's.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway set in a fictitious place in the North East of England. It sets out to show what the railways looked like in the 1960's. After this period, steam was replaced by diesel power and a large part of the network was closed.

This film is part of a long running series which shows the kind of operations a nine year old boy would see standing on a large station at the time. This is my time.

Each one of this latest in the series, follows on from the last (from Main Station 18).

There are seven Class 47 locomotives on Trenholme Junction, but most of them don't feature in any of the films because they have poor running reliability. All are early Heljan models and most have been fitted with three different decoders, all of which have fried. They also need extensive wheel cleaning before each run. I have fitted four of them with Hatton's decoders and they seem to be good, so far, so in this film they are the featured locomotives.

I fit decoders with Stay/Alive to most of my locos as it usually helps the slow running performance. If needed the supplied capacitor can be exchanged for a more powerful one,( I got my last supply from Maplins but I understand they have closed now) and generally there is plenty of room in a diesel outline model to fit one

Continuing the coverage of traffic around the Main Station at Trenholme Junction in the mid 1960's, plenty of activity for a young boy to watch and take in. Steam hauled trains are still in evidence as the diesels are slowly taking over.

Diesel Multiple Units are in ever increasing numbers, taking over the suburban and commuter services.

Unable to produce a new film this week, this film produced last year and this is a monochrome re-edit. Difficult film to make, worth a second look.

In this film we jump onboard Class 46 'Peak' at the diesel shed at Trenholme Junction and head for the Lower Marshalling Yard.

The 08 Yard Pilot removes a train of sand wagons from one of the sidings and places them in the dispatch road. We couple up to them.

A Super D and train of mineral wagons ambles past on the through goods road and the DMU slips out from the bay platform in the station.

A diesel hauled tanker train passes and clears the road for us to proceed onto the loop at the south end of the main station in preparation to cross all the running lines and into East Tunnel.

Once traffic has passed we then pass through the South Bay and on to destinations unknown.

Thanks to Nigel Kidd for allowing me to use his photographs in this film.

• Like 1

There's nothing better, on a wet cold Easter weekend, than than drifting off to a bright summers day train spotting at Trenholme Junction in the early 1960's.

There are both steam and diesel locomotives at work side by side, a situation which would soon quickly and dramatically change. The end of steam is on the horizon (only a few years away) and the Beeching axe would fall on a large part of the railway.

Trenholme Junction is a model purpose built as a film set which transports the viewer back to a time which is probably one of the most interesting in UK railway history. The most influential part of my childhood.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway which was built to show what the railways looked like in the 1960's. It typically shows the scale of a railway set in the industrial North East of England.

The theme is set around the Main Station which has five full length platform faces, two bay platforms (north and south) and a parcels platform. The full length platforms can accommodate 16 coach trains.

The camera positions are that of an eight year of child, watching the complicated movements of the trains.

Another visit to the Main Station at Trenholme Junction. Each one of this series of films is made up of several complete scenes will be stored. In future, when this layout is dismantled, and a new one built, each scene can spawn a new film, by using these scenes together with transitions to films made on the new layout.

A further development of the 'Infinite Layout' idea.

• RMweb Gold

If trhey are early Heljan locos with the brass/copper type wheels you are better off junking them and getting replacement n/s wheelsets from Howes.

Mike.