Serpentine Hoppers

Tricky-CRS

I am about to start a layout based on Truthall Halt on the Helston branch. I am interested to find out more about the Serpentine rock movement by hoppers towards the end of the line.

I have established that some of the hoppers appear to of LMS origin and at least 4 seem to be at Helston at any one time. I have not found any pictures of the hoppers in a train.

So did they travel in normal goods trains or on their own, how many at a time were moved?

Also were the trains worked by class 22's as per most of the rest of the traffic?

All so where was the stone taken too and use for?

At least one use for it is shown on Wikipedia:-

Neutron shield in nuclear reactors[edit]

Serpentinite has a significant amount of bound water, hence it contains abundant hydrogen atoms able to slow down neutrons by elastic collision (neutron thermalization process). Because of this serpentinite can be used as dry filler inside steel jackets in some designs of nuclear reactors. For example in RBMK series it was used for top radiation shielding to protect operators from escaping neutrons.[9] Serpentine can also be added as aggregate to special concreteused in nuclear reactor shielding to increase the concrete density (2.6 g/cm3) and its neutron capture cross section.[10][11]

As to where it was taken to, I can find no information.

I will be using British Finescale chairs and code 40 rail. Hopefully get the test cut sleepers in the next week, I will be getting the hoppers designed for me by Wild Boar on here in due course just need to work out how many to get made. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the Dapol Members weathered class 22, and will then have 2 of them for this layout. I will start a thread on NGF for this layout at some point.

HI there Richard have a look on Cornwall Railway Society for any clues / answers

In the mean-time I will ask my In-law as he had alot to do with cabbages (believe it or not) on the branch and also daffodils at Gwinear.

Give me a few days and hopefully I'll give you an answer.

Interesting layout idea aswel.

Edit: add link

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/helston-branch.html

Pictures there are nice and clear.

Jack

Hi Jack

Thank you I think the hoppers were kept in 2 or 3 at Helston at a time but some picks suggest more but none show them in a train. I think they may have gone in the standard frieght but not sure.

Any info you can get will be wonderful.

Possibly 24ton and 21ton?

Theres a difference in height on the prototype pictures between the ton varients.

I would guess that, too. Mixed freight of 12 or 10 ton vans, hoppers (coal and serpentine) plus appropriate brake van.

A lot of shunting potential for a layout

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

It was good to see you again at St Albans. Just remembered to dig this out, that might explain the LMS link with its use as a flux in steel-making. Perhaps a bit of a better explanation than using it for creating sculptures.

http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/238205/Serpentine.pdf

Similarly

http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications/proceedings/01/minecarb/kramer.pdf

If I remember correctly the serpentine on the Lizard is reddish, green or black (Despite what the NSW factsheet says), although not being a geologist I may have been looking at something else. Perhaps the whitish mineral was something else, Lime perhaps?

Best Regards.

Chris.

Archived