Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

I remember the period the most when (what were to become) 37's and 40's seemed to take over going through Shenfield......

When did the Brush 2 start? 1958? Pretty successful loco in length of service.

Best, Pete.

Original batch (D5500-19) started in 1958 I think. They were initially thought of as 'premier' locos and used on passenger turns a lot on the GE. Then BR abandoned the idea of trying batches of locos from different makers, and started ordering in bulk. The (slightly different) production batch from D5520 soon spread everywhere in the GE section as a mixed traffic loco. It was only with the introduction of the D6700-29 batch of EE 3's that the Brush was ousted from the main passenger turns on the Cambridge line at least. By this time, in the Cambridge area, it was rare to see the red circle batch (D5500-19).

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

You never sat in a 73 then!!

No, but I did a trip from Yeovil Jcn to Waterloo on a Crompton (Class 33) on one occasion and was amused to see the ETH turned off every time we were tackling any sort of rising gradient, including starting away from Tisbury.

As far as the EDs were concerned in my days 'south of the river' we were planning a little trial trip and one of my team came in and said 'we'll use an ED' (Class 73) and I told him 'oh no we won't, we'll use two!', turned out to be just as well that we did.

Sadly, Jason says there's no market for these (they would have to be in HO) as only about 100 people model the current Canadian passenger scene. I'm one of the 100!

CHRIS LEIGH

Actually we've had a lot of interest in modern VIA ops (the LRC did really well, for instance), but the trouble with the Renaissance trains is that they aren't exactly universally liked...

They were bought on the cheap 13 years ago and have caused endless headaches.  They jump around so much on our poor track that many crew members have had to go on leave due to injuries sustained on board.  They are being pulled from the Corridor in the near future and there is talk of pulling them from the Ocean as well.  They cost a fortune to operate and are heavier than anything else in the fleet.  And they've been a maintenance nightmare: apart from all the rebuilding they've been through to cope with our winters and our accessibility requirements, they are now corroding and letting the elements in.

I personally think they are great.  I find the seats very comfortable, I enjoy relaxing in the Service Car, and I find the beds to be very easy to sleep in.  I am in the minority, I'm afraid.

-Jason

Have I missed when and where we are finding out what they actually are doing?

We'll make a lot of noise when we announce our first model, so I hope you won't miss it.  I already have the date set for my next visit to the UK.  The project is slowly moving forward... 

-Jason

They jump around so much on our poor track that many crew members have had to go on leave due to injuries sustained on board.

I'm surprised at that, having had the pleasure of travelling on the Ocean back in September, I didn't think that the ride was that bad.  I agree about the bunks as well - I found them very comfortable.

Actually we've had a lot of interest in modern VIA ops (the LRC did really well, for instance), but the trouble with the Renaissance trains is that they aren't exactly universally liked...

<Off Topic>

LRCs and Turbos in N, please...

</Off Topic>

Adrian

We had better stop talking about Brush 2's or Jason will get the wrong idea and do one of those...

Couldn't pick a better subject. The Hornby model is deeply flawed (my diesel traction hobby horse) through not having the cabside windows correctly recessed. Fortunately the ready availability of older Airfix and Lima bodyshells makes it relatively easy to get a ped that looks right with the fine running qualities of the Hornby mechanism

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't pick a better subject. The Hornby model is deeply flawed (my diesel traction hobby horse) through not having the cabside windows correctly recessed. Fortunately the ready availability of older Airfix and Lima bodyshells makes it relatively easy to get a ped that looks right with the fine running qualities of the Hornby mechanism

Yes, I would suppose it would be a whole lot better than the currently available one!  There were a few around Tyneside but as noted earlier they weren't much use!  Was it 31 401 that was a 'skinhead'?  Or 411?  It was a pilot for ages at the central.  Unfortunately for  my interests Jason is unlikely to produce a model I would buy, I'm stuck in the past.

They were bought on the cheap 13 years ago and have caused endless headaches.  They jump around so much on our poor track that many crew members have had to go on leave due to injuries sustained on board.  They are being pulled from the Corridor in the near future and there is talk of pulling them from the Ocean as well.  They cost a fortune to operate and are heavier than anything else in the fleet.  And they've been a maintenance nightmare: apart from all the rebuilding they've been through to cope with our winters and our accessibility requirements, they are now corroding and letting the elements in.

I personally think they are great.  I find the seats very comfortable, I enjoy relaxing in the Service Car, and I find the beds to be very easy to sleep in.  I am in the minority, I'm afraid.

-Jason

I really liked them, too. They are very comfortable and the ride is superb compared to those crummy old LRC cars where you ride on shirt-button wheels with your bum bouncing along the sleepers (sorry, ties). In fact the only thing that rides better than the Nightstars are SOME of the old 1955 Budd cars (though not Stuart Manor, which I rode on last summer - it was AWFUL). However, just as with the submarines we sold to Canada, the British government did stitch up our friends across the water, whilst simultaneously kicking the British taxpayer well below the belt. One of the reasons they got scratched from UK operation was because of their massive current draw, aside from the fact that there was no commercial demand for a Channel Tunnel sleeper service. For Canadian service they are a bizarre bodge-up as the gangways don't match other Canadian stock , so it is necessary to have a 'coupling converter car' which is a Nightstar car body and trucks with NOTHING whatever inside it. It has carpet and a few flags on the walls and it would be a great place to hold a barn dance. On the 'Ocean' in summer there is usually a 'Park' stainless steel observation car on the rear and you have to go through the converter car to get to it. Then there is the disabled access door in the service car. One of these apparently flew open and an attendent nearly fell out. However, they were put in by the Canadians and were NOT part of the British design. Indeed, I wonder what they do to the structural integrity of the bodyshell. Whatever, if you model VIA Rail operations for post early 2000s to present day period, you NEED 'Nightstar' (Rennaissance) stock.

CHRIS LEIGH

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I really liked them, too. They are very comfortable and the ride is superb compared to those crummy old LRC cars where you ride on shirt-button wheels with your bum bouncing along the sleepers (sorry, ties). In fact the only thing that rides better than the Nightstars are SOME of the old 1955 Budd cars (though not Stuart Manor, which I rode on last summer - it was AWFUL). However, just as with the submarines we sold to Canada, the British government did stitch up our friends across the water, whilst simultaneously kicking the British taxpayer well below the belt. One of the reasons they got scratched from UK operation was because of their massive current draw, aside from the fact that there was no commercial demand for a Channel Tunnel sleeper service. For Canadian service they are a bizarre bodge-up as the gangways don't match other Canadian stock , so it is necessary to have a 'coupling converter car' which is a Nightstar car body and trucks with NOTHING whatever inside it. It has carpet and a few flags on the walls and it would be a great place to hold a barn dance. On the 'Ocean' in summer there is usually a 'Park' stainless steel observation car on the rear and you have to go through the converter car to get to it. Then there is the disabled access door in the service car. One of these apparently flew open and an attendent nearly fell out. However, they were put in by the Canadians and were NOT part of the British design. Indeed, I wonder what they do to the structural integrity of the bodyshell. Whatever, if you model VIA Rail operations for post early 2000s to present day period, you NEED 'Nightstar' (Rennaissance) stock.

CHRIS LEIGH

CHRIS LEIGH

I produce Renaissance bodyside overlays in N to convert the Graham Farish Mk4 into something approximate. This came about as a customer request, as I had already done the UK "Nightstar" stock.

It should be possible to do something in HO, using the Hornby Mk4 as a basis but would there be too many compromises (wrong scale, different bogies and body profile) to make this worthwhile?

I produce Renaissance bodyside overlays in N to convert the Graham Farish Mk4 into something approximate. This came about as a customer request, as I had already done the UK "Nightstar" stock.

It should be possible to do something in HO, using the Hornby Mk4 as a basis but would there be too many compromises (wrong scale, different bogies and body profile) to make this worthwhile?

I looked at this a while back and decided it wasn't worth the effort because the Nightstar stock is so much smaller than the other Canadian stock and locos, but if you use a "OO' Mk4 you end up with a vehicle that's the same size or even slightly bigger than the 'HO' stock. The big heavyweight bogies (Class 158 bogies, I believe) are also quite different from those on the Mk.4 stock. My thinking was on the lines of a DC Kits-style plastic kit with lots of common components and body sections that could be combined in different ways. It won't be long before Jason runs out of Canadian subjects to do, and then he might reconsider!

CHRIS LEIGH

Jason might go south of the border down New York way....

Ferrocarilles de Mexico?

Their GMD-1 is already useful for anyone modelling present day Cuba. Quite how many people that is and whether it's worth releasing a Bo-A1A version is another question...

• RMweb Gold

Just read the latest issue of "Rapido News" received this morning......

Jason mentions that "his youngest son Isaac has fallen in love with trains....they were watching trains on youtube going in and out of tunnels. His favourite was the HST...what else could it be?"

Another "hint" or another false trail?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Jason mentions that "his youngest son Isaac has fallen in love with trains....they were watching trains on youtube going in and out of tunnels. His favourite was the HST...what else could it be?"

Keith

Pink herring perhaps?  Right sort of letters but maybe not the right sort of train?  We'll just have to wait and see.  

• RMweb Gold

Dunno about that. Did you see those picture of the FP40PH-2D? I've got to have one of those! How much are they going to cost? Whatever it is, I can't afford it.

Yep, saw the picture, very nice.

Only problem is that it's a commission being done for VIA - you have to order through VIA, pay to VIA  who then ship via Canada Post which leads to ParcelForce, VAT etc, plus ParcelForce Handling Charge. For me don't think it's worth the hassle.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Keith

So we'll just have to hope he has seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H-WKRIXynQ

Now that could persuade me that DCC sound is worth having if it could do that convincingly.

Yep, saw the picture, very nice.

Only problem is that it's a commission being done for VIA - you have to order through VIA, pay to VIA  who then ship via Canada Post which leads to ParcelForce, VAT etc, plus ParcelForce Handling Charge. For me don't think it's worth the hassle.

Keith

Is this the first time a train operator has commissioned a proper working scale model for general sale? (Dapol Pendolino for Virgin, I suppose - but hardly a modeller's model. It was intended for travel agents' displays and was only motorised in a fairly half-hearted way.)

CHRIS LEIGH

Is this the first time a train operator has commissioned a proper working scale model for general sale? (Dapol Pendolino for Virgin, I suppose - but hardly a modeller's model. It was intended for travel agents' displays and was only motorised in a fairly half-hearted way.)

CHRIS LEIGH

Not motorised but VIA did have a limited edition of the Park cars made for them by Rapido.

Cheers,

David

Archived