Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

A Gas turbine powered tilting multiple unit from over 40 years ago, bit of a niche interest. Would it really fit with their business model!

There was a VERY niche gas turbine MU (non-tilting) VIA/CN Canadian set on Ebay recently asking £750. It was made by Rapido - their first model, I think, and a model of a train which Jason knew very well as a kid.

I think its an 89 [ wish }

good guess - ive looked at some images of the 89 and it just doesnt quite fit even if you took into account the camera angle blending in the right hand side front buffer. the cab front has a slight curve whereas the 89 is pretty flat on the main section.

The train itself could be a red herring but maybe not the Overhead wiring around it that could suggest an overhead AC of some sort.

Jason seems to be a fun type of guy - itr wouldnt surprise me if he has taken say a Class 81 picture (other locos are available) and photoshopped it jelly mould stylee to give a Eurostar/Javelin-esque shadow  :)

If thats the case it could literally be anything.......dont discount the 89 just yet then !

Post 5,6,9,12,13,25,63,82 etc........... :O  :O

Cheers,

Mick

Tell me you have a great memory and that you didnt actually spend time trawling back through all 11 pages of this thread just to quote all those post numbers?  Little wonder somebody found it "Funny".

• RMweb Premium

Tell me you have a great memory and that you didnt actually spend time trawling back through all 11 pages of this thread just to quote all those post numbers? 

I knew I'd posted early on about the APT-E, so I only checked the first 2-3 pages looking for my post. I'm sure there's more mention of it further in!

Cheers,

Mick

There was a VERY niche gas turbine MU (non-tilting) VIA/CN Canadian set on Ebay recently asking £750. It was made by Rapido - their first model, I think, and a model of a train which Jason knew very well as a kid.

I should have put a smiley in! Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the turbo train did tilt? Or is it a case of not believing everything you read on Wikipedia.

• RMweb Gold

Well discounting the dodgy photo were all trying to fathom he was at crewes HC where some of APT-p is and of course where andy y interviewed jason.could be.....

......as I mentioned back in post #12

....but now not so sure about a whole train ..... now veering towards a loco....maybe Cl.89 Electric....or Gas Turbine 18000...

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Well discounting the dodgy photo were all trying to fathom he was at crewes HC where some of APT-p is and of course where andy y interviewed jason.could be.....

But on the other hand all these comments about places where he went and the trains he travelled on might just be yet more red fish and he hasn't mentioned certain other places he visited ...

• RMweb Premium

But on the other hand all these comments about places where he went and the trains he travelled on might just be yet more red fish and he hasn't mentioned certain other places he visited ...

I wonder if he went to Shildon where the railway equivalent of Doctor Who's K-9 is kept?

Spot the difference?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8097778@N02/4368109759/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11725219@N05/5620235690/in/photolist-9yDbgm-iCNkRT-dWDjk2-dWDjY8-dWDkw4-8KYFtn-8KYFA2-8KYFDk-8KYFwK-dW2aXm-bA1gUS-9Y2DbD-f586tu-9jA3mA-9jA2T3-9jwQx6-7RoSXx-fT6kRD-akMBSM-92pziz-ak2L7E-bh48CD-bg73K2-9Y5zW3-cLkUyu-akghbR-7MJRaC-d8EJzo-97iuvf-95fyNT-97oJs7-97kARa-9k9Z8q-ajZQXs-8Hm4iN-hEMFDX-9mqQJM-bh43Bz-bh4dyX-fcf8jg-cMStFj-c8yUtU-7Rs8S9-7RoSWH-7Rs8Rb-9o1wnA-9BBPms-8fV9ym-7WuYDR-asCZSN-ck67ih

:jester:

After all, Jason is a Doctor Who fan.

Cheers,

Mick

A Gas turbine powered tilting multiple unit from over 40 years ago, bit of a niche interest. Would it really fit with their business model!

I had to look it up when it was first mentioned. 

We'd have to be bonkers to bring that out.  At least the CN/VIA Turbo operated in service for 14 years (well, nine years consecutively).

Now the APT-P actually carried passengers...

(BTW, the Turbo did indeed tilt.  It had a passive, pendular tilting mechanism. That meant that going in and out of Montreal and Toronto they asked us to sit down as the train swayed like crazy.  Of course, my brother and I would take that as the invitation to run between cars and bounce from wall to wall in the padded diaphragm.)

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

Of course, my brother and I would take that as the invitation to run between cars and bounce from wall to wall in the padded diaphragm.

You're lucky they didn't catch you at it, and send you to an institution where you could bounce from wall to wall in a padded cell :-)

... We'd have to be bonkers to bring that out.  ...

Maybe you would, but there are some signs that you might be, er, willing to leap into the unknown. And you have to admit that the APT-E looks like nothing else on earth (or, at least, like no other train). Extraordinarily stylish. I'd buy, er, several.

Paul

PS: I hope your new avatar is not some sort of hint.

Diminishing unmodeled tat?

There's plenty of diesels, for example, out there by Hornby and Bachmann that can be improved upon and cleaned up with a new quality model. After all who would buy a model where the basic shape is incorrect after one that is correct is released? Masochists?

Best, Pete.

Archived