Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

Looks like a regular visitor to Piccadilly to me, & something that's already in the Hornby (& Dapol back) catalogue.

... Which is all good fun, but financial suicide for the complete set. I'll still be stunned if it's not what I alluded to on a different thread! :whistle:

Yes and looks like it is in Platform 4 to me and a very regular visitor that as you say Dave47549 has been attempted twice already.

Cheers Paul

I had to look it up when it was first mentioned. 

We'd have to be bonkers to bring that out.  At least the CN/VIA Turbo operated in service for 14 years (well, nine years consecutively).

Now the APT-P actually carried passengers...

(BTW, the Turbo did indeed tilt.  It had a passive, pendular tilting mechanism. That meant that going in and out of Montreal and Toronto they asked us to sit down as the train swayed like crazy.  Of course, my brother and I would take that as the invitation to run between cars and bounce from wall to wall in the padded diaphragm.)

-Jason

Well whatever it turns out to be, I look forward to finding out!

APT-P, Prototype HST, 91 + MK.4 stock, 89, 86, 87. Any would be perfect and done to Rapido's standards would sell like hotcakes in my opinion ( a lot of the current 'shelf sitter' AC electrics are poorly detailed, with the exception of Bachmann's 85 which doesn't have the livery range available to the 86 and 87) I'd happily shell out for a full HST or 225 set, and would certainly go for a cut down APT-P set with a view to carriages for expansion say a year or so after the initial maybe 7 car release. Time will tell

Diminishing unmodeled tat?

There's plenty of diesels, for example, out there by Hornby and Bachmann that can be improved upon and cleaned up with a new quality model. After all who would buy a model where the basic shape is incorrect after one that is correct is released? Masochists?

Best, Pete.

But who would risk a massive investment to tool up something where the market has already been filled by a less expensive more readily available 'OK'-ish model with hundreds of secondhand examples available, just because a handful of people want illusive perfection? It wouldn't get my money, that's for sure.

CHRIS LEIGH

I had to look it up when it was first mentioned. 

We'd have to be bonkers to bring that out.  At least the CN/VIA Turbo operated in service for 14 years (well, nine years consecutively).

Now the APT-P actually carried passengers...

(BTW, the Turbo did indeed tilt.  It had a passive, pendular tilting mechanism. That meant that going in and out of Montreal and Toronto they asked us to sit down as the train swayed like crazy.  Of course, my brother and I would take that as the invitation to run between cars and bounce from wall to wall in the padded diaphragm.)

-Jason

I didn't know that the Turbo tilted. I can remember sitting on an LRC car at Toronto Union and they had to test the tilt, so there we sat while the car tilted one side to the other. Got some strange looks from those on the outside.

Looking at that photo I am pretty sure I know what it is, will have to put the thumb screws on Dan at the Calgary train show in April :D

• RMweb Premium

But who would risk a massive investment to tool up something where the market has already been filled by a less expensive more readily available 'OK'-ish model with hundreds of secondhand examples available, just because a handful of people want illusive perfection? It wouldn't get my money, that's for sure.

CHRIS LEIGH

Because there is a market for better models, albeit with a larger price tag. If there wasn't then the likes of CJM and LH Loveless would have gone out of business years ago.

Even something as mundain as a class 47 should sell well if it's well detailed and seen as being "better" that what's already available. What "better" is/means is something else to discuss...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Because there is a market for better models, albeit with a larger price tag. If there wasn't then the likes of CJM and LH Loveless would have gone out of business years ago.

Even something as mundain as a class 47 should sell well if it's well detailed and seen as being "better" that what's already available. What "better" is/means is something else to discuss...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Sorry, I thought we were talking mass-produced ready-to-run. Yes, there will always be a market for very high quality hand-made models produced by small firms. Not so sure about duplication among volume-production Chinese-made plastic items where large quantities of sales are needed, even if one is deemed 'better' than another. No doubting that Dapol's 'Western' is the best of five attempts but I wonder which of the five actually brought its maker the most profit? I'd bet it's between Hornby and Lima both of which were better than Trix but not as good as Heljan or Dapol. There's no doubting the new Heljan 33 is 'better' than the original but look at the number of people on here who are already saying its not 'better enough' for them to buy it.

CHRIS LEIGH

Jason has had no fear in the past of trumping thr "OKish" model -- he's done FP9s, F40s and Budd passenger cars.

(Just to name a few recent ones).

As a modeller of Canadian practice, I'm familiar with what Rapido has done. Trumping a model on quality is one thing. Trumping it on profit is quite something else and it's profit that one needs to re-invest in new product. If I'm correct in my guess as to what Rapido is doing for BR, I think he's on a winner. I don't think he's re-visiting any well-trodden paths, though.

CHRIS LEIGH

CHRIS LEIGH

In my view it's worth redoing if the original release is either outdated tooling, aimed at a different market (low end vs. high end) or, to put it bluntly, the existing model is offensive.

As far as I'm concerned, Athearn has nailed the Canadian CN GP38-2W and GP40-2W and Bowser has nailed the C630M. No need for us to ever make those. Athearn's GP9 is so nice and they will doubtless do a proper Canadian one eventually so no need to go there either.

But another manufacturer took an American FP7 model, changed a couple of details, and called it an FP9, which is a Canadian CN/CP/VIA prototype.  As a life-long VIA Rail Canada modeller it really got my back up.  It wasn't a bog-standard American model painted in Canadian colours, which I have no real problem with. But they actually made a couple of tweaks and passed it off as a Canadian model. It wasn't accurate for anything, Canadian or American.

The UK equivalent would be for a manufacturer to produce a Class 47, then add the big funky grilles on the sides and called it a Class 56, ignoring the numerous other differences between the classes. Nobody would buy it. But we Canadians are so polite. So many of us thought, "Oh well, at least they're making a bit of an effort" and bought the bogus model. We are too forgiving.

Well I wasn't having any of it. I announced a proper Canadian FP9 and with the proper marketing ("Hey guys - this is actually a real FP9A model and not a figment of someone's imagination!") we sold a gazillion of them. I still have a few for sale at KingstonSub.com.

Nobody has ever made a Canadian F40, so even though there have been F40 models painted in VIA colours, they aren't actually Canadian F40s. Back to that Class 47/56 thing again. At least Walthers - who makes an F40 painted in Canadian colours - doesn't pretend that it's accurate.

I still think there is a lot of room for improvement on British models, especially in passenger equipment. I look at some of the "latest and greatest" models released and think that they look great for 1993.

As I said in the interview that started this thread back in November, there is room in the market for two classes of equipment. The basic coaches that you can get for £20 each are great for making up a huge rake, but wouldn't it be nice to have a handful of super-detailed coaches that show off all of the achievements of BREL's brightest and best? 

While the £20 coaches can run by at 30 MPH, the super-detailed models can be slowly backed into a siding at the front of the layout to the oohs and aaahs of the collected exhibition visitors.

The market is big enough to support both the high end and the low end.

We'll stick with the high end for now.

-Jason

In my view it's worth redoing if the original release is either outdated tooling, aimed at a different market (low end vs. high end) or, to put it bluntly, the existing model is offensive.

I still think there is a lot of room for improvement on British models, especially in passenger equipment. I look at some of the "latest and greatest" models released and think that they look great for 1993.

-Jason

With the mention of the rivets, and a old tooling of passenger equipment, and a mention of Charlie from real track models (who has sorted the low profile DMU drive) , does this mean you are making the 155 or the 156 DMU?

This is part of the fun in trying to guess the next release. It can be quite fun when it doesn't descend into a "I want this because it was my favourite" type of postings.

With the interior correctly modelled :)

You've figured it out.

It will be the fancy wood interior from season 14, complete with shaving mirror.

-Jason

(Look up nerd in the dictionary and you'll find me there. Did I mention that in addition to being a hardcore train nut and knowing most of classic Doctor Who off by heart, I wear a Star Trek communicator all the time?)

You've figured it out.

It will be the fancy wood interior from season 14, complete with shaving mirror.

-Jason

(Look up nerd in the dictionary and you'll find me there. Did I mention that in addition to being a hardcore train nut and knowing most of classic Doctor Who off by heart, I wear a Star Trek communicator all the time?)

Aka the mobile phone!

Welcome to the depths of nerds. Our lass is a trekey, and in our house we have complete box sets on DVD of B5, blakes7, stargate and stargate Atlantis, starfleet(look that one up, that is nerdy) and lots of anime. And that doesn't even consider my collection of SF novels, that even I lots count of when it passed 450.

Perhaps we ought to start a "I am a nerd" section?

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the depths of nerds. Our lass is a trekey, and in our house we have complete box sets on DVD of B5, blakes7, stargate and stargate Atlantis, starfleet(look that one up, that is nerdy) and lots of anime. And that doesn't even consider my collection of SF novels, that even I lots count of when it passed 450.

Perhaps we ought to start a "I am a nerd" section?

I see you and raise with Farscape and Battlestar Galactica

I'll see your Farscape and Cattle Car Galactica and raise you a Starlost, UFO, and Star Cops.

Bill, love the RDC avatar. Spend far too much of my childhood shuttling between Calgary and Edmonton on one.

• RMweb Premium

Completely OT now....

What about "Space, Above and Beyond"? The SA-43 Hammerhead fighters were cool looking bits of kit.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=space+above+and+beyond+sa-43&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=w0oTU4HbOeOL0AXYi4HIBQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1680&bih=955

Cheers,

Mick

I scoop the pool with Firefly and Serenity. Firefly actually has a train in it somewhere (have I hit paydirt?) although I have to say I didn't really enjoy the series that much. Serenity though is a completely other thing; Joss ~Whedon's 'completion film' that completely outclasses the TV series that spawned it.

Back on topic: rivety contemporary is what we need to focus on. Any of class 91, mk3 or mk4 vehicles could really use top end models; what is presently available is disinctly 30 years out of date, and it was nowhere near state of the art when new, since OO was still in the dark ages.

Archived