Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JN said:

If you thought banking was confined to steam and railtours...

60074 - 6H36 (Pyle).

Probably not rare, though, for Stormy Bank (near Pyle, Wales).

A good variety of interesting workings for South Wales. Double/triple-headed 37s or 56s on iron ore trains from Margam to Llanwern like Hunterston to Ravenscraig. Going east to Llanwern the incline gradient is something like 1:139 steepening to 1:93.

Regular, if not common banking on the Lickey (before the wires):

2308003_1b59e631_1024x1024.jpg

66200+Lickey+Incline+16+June+2009.jpg

The 66s reserved for the job (66055-9) have special quick release buckeyes, so than can uncouple on the move if banking a train fitted with buckeyes

• Like 13

6 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Not British but fits in with "prototype for anything".

Great find. I like railway locos up to the early 1990s, but steam locos are still the best. The GWR being aesthetically the best of the best. Still, glad to see rail haulage being done properly if less efficient. Class 37s, 47s, 56s, 60s are good pieces of kit and such, but I do not get as excited about them as a steam loco.

I could not tell you what the exact rules are and sometimes I post hoping I have done something right. I generally go for something specific or unexpected/unpredictable rather than everyday anywhere - an unusual working, something to do with the local geography like my post above. I have posted a six steel wagon train through Barnetby (yes, everyday there) if only to show not every steel train has to be 20-30 BBAs/BDAs. I would not post light engines, though, as that is like a day ending with y.

All of my finds are from just looking through photos and watching videos and thinking the photo/video might be of interest/relevance rather than. Some people's comments/posts can be quite witty.

Most of my finds will not involve humour because I am just not intentionally funny, but I still like to read an amusing post.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Not British but fits in with "prototype for anything".

It would be interesting to see something like that here. I know it's been done in the past, but I'm expecting paperwork and rules/regs have been tightened up a fair bit these days (and probably incompatible couplings and brakes). But just imagine, a relatively short-run working on an isolated line, like the Grassington branch, maybe WCR's preserved mainline-registered 8f tripping the stone hoppers down to Skipton for a 66 to take over :)

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Isn't remote operating a quick release?

Saves stopping the train and getting down to pull the lever.🙂

Some of my loony Shunters didn't bother with stopping the move when shunting buckeye fitted stock - far quicker to just loose shunt coaches (until I caught one of them doing it)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

ooops (hopefully we haven't had this one before?)

D5717 Derby 8/7/60 MM 244

The fact the (curved) windscreens haven’t popped out perhaps indicates the level of vibration subjected in normal operation to the poor unfortunates who had to drive these in the early days!! (Whole class modified to flat windscreens by supplier along with engine mods to correct issues at the beginning of the 60s). 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 4

On 13/07/2023 at 14:05, JN said:

If you thought banking was confined to steam and railtours...

60074 - 6H36 (Pyle).

Probably not rare, though, for Stormy Bank (near Pyle, Wales).

A good variety of interesting workings for South Wales. Double/triple-headed 37s or 56s on iron ore trains from Margam to Llanwern like Hunterston to Ravenscraig. Going east to Llanwern the incline gradient is something like 1:139 steepening to 1:93.

https://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/post-01-august-20172.html

My bad. Turns out that Bridport - East Usk - Margam T.C. are top’n’tailed because of accessing the Bridport branch from East Usk Yard (as confirmed by the linked website. I did think a banker for the down (Bridgend - over Stormy Bank - Pyle) line was a little strange, but having not read the caption as well I assumed the loco was on to save a light engine move. Apologies.

• Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Live steam on the mainline and narrow gauge?

Garston 1980 by John Phillips

Lion, with two gauges, at Gathurst.

I think you mean Gathurst on the L&YR Wigan - Southport line. Garston was quite a few miles away in south Liverpool!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Live steam on the mainline and narrow gauge?

Gathurst 1980 by John Phillips

Lion, with two gauges, at Gathurst.

A rare photo of one of the vans that ICI used to deliver industrial explosives in. The black shed was a transfer point between the internal narrow-gauge network and BR.

• Like 3

Gong back to banking for a moment, within the last two months I saw an 08 being gently nudged a few yards by a lorry !,  to make an advantageous position for loading.  I'm being a shade vague  'to protect the innocent', but I do have a photo which might be released in a few years time. I don't

know. this might even be a commonplace. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Want to run a Mk3 sleeper in Kent?  Just stick some bobbles on it, and put it between a couple of Queen Mary brake vans.  Click on photo for caption, also a couple more photos in the sequence at Appledore

R8804004SN

• Like 18

4 hours ago, adanapress said:

Gong back to banking for a moment, within the last two months I saw an 08 being gently nudged a few yards by a lorry !,  to make an advantageous position for loading.  I'm being a shade vague  'to protect the innocent', but I do have a photo which might be released in a few years time. I don't

know. this might even be a commonplace. 

Looks intriguing.