DCC Concepts DCD-ADS8 Help

ChrisB

I've been using DCC for some time and now, with a new layout in the making, am considering DCC operation of the points. My experience off DCC Concepts's products has been favourable so far and the ADS8 is available from more than one place at a favourable price.Trying to find any detailed information though, is proving difficult. DCC Concepts website seems to be experiencing some problems at the mo and Google hasn't been much help.

What I want to do is set up some fairly simple route setting using my NCE Powercab to throw a maximum of 4 or 5 turnouts at a time. Does anyone have any experience of this product? Is there a better one out there?

Also, I understand that they suggest that power for the individual CDUs is taken from the DCC Bus. Is there any reason why the power source shouldn't be a separate transformer?

Yes finding information on these decoders seems impossible. I to am interested in them, wondering if they will work with Kato points but at this stage I have found no information.

As for macros with NCE that should be no problem as all eight will be able to be programed with individual addresses, just follow the NCE manual on setting the macros.

As for separate power I would imagine they do not have provision for this as the power draw from the dcc buss would be small and only for a short time while the capacitors recharge (powercab should manage without problem).

I hope someone has a link to a user manual for them (I like to know what I am buying before I buy it)

Don

As a minimum I recommend that you power any turnout driving accessory decoder from a different power district to the track district.  The reason is if you don’t then you can drive into a turnout that is set the wrong way, that causes a short which then stops you changing the points.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems nobody else has used them!

I too like to know what I'm buying before I buy it. I'm sure it would be fine (I would actually need two of them) but I'd just like to know a bit more.

As for the power source, I could just visualise all the layout and loco lights dimming momentarily  as four or five turnouts change at the same time - hence my question about a separate power supply.

I use the AD-S8 firing Peco solenoid point motors  with no problems.

The power is from the DCC system with no detrimental affect to running of trains. Separate power supply can not be used.

Each of the 8 outlets are powered by separate capacitor discharge units and only take milliamps to recharge.

Recharge time for each CDU is approx 1second.

It is highly unlikely that numerous points will be op at same time.

AD-S8 is the easiest accessory decoder to program for DCC that I have ever used.

Put switch in learn mode, dial up required point number, operate,  put switch back to run mode.and job done

AD-S8 can be set up to op with DCC,  push buttons etc, or both.

I have been using Lenz LS150 accessory decoders for yrs which are very good but AD-S8 will be my preferred accessory decoder in future.

I have no affiliation with DCCconcepts other than that of a satisfied customer since 2005.

Cheersw

Ian 

RFS  I've sent an email to DCC Concepts direct and had no reply.

Ian. Thanks for your views. It all helps and I think this is probably the thing that I'm after but I'd just like to know a bit more.  One of the things I specifically want to do is to use the Powercab for simple route setting so I can change up to a maximum of 5 points with the push of a button. Some technical info about the product would help me visualise how I'm going to do it before I commit my cash.

Ian. Thanks for your views. It all helps and I think this is probably the thing that I'm after but I'd just like to know a bit more.  One of the things I specifically want to do is to use the Powercab for simple route setting so I can change up to a maximum of 5 points with the push of a button. Some technical info about the product would help me visualise how I'm going to do it before I commit my cash.

I should have mentioned that I use ECoS with full route setting by the push of 1 button and it works a treat.

Some of my routes have up to 10 points in them and each point is fired one after the other. The points do not op all at once which, I believe, is the way most good DCC systems  would op routes.

The type of accessory decoder is immaterial. My routes are combination of lenz LS150 and AD-S8 and all work together very well.

Also I would think the brand of DCC system is also immaterial. If DCC system is capable of route setting there is no reason why it would not work.

Cheers

Ian.

You could use a mini panel to do that with your powercab.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/mini-panel.aspx

Powercab will have no problem with simple or even fairly complex routes and the points will fire one after another (not all at the same time).

I to emailed DCC Concepts direct and have received no reply. I really only want to know if they will operate Kato 2 wire points, if not I'll just keep using DS52's and switchkats (though the ADS-8 would be cheaper)

Don

Just to clarify a couple of points (no pun intended).

1 Outside power source can not be connected to AD-S8. As the power draw from the DCC system is so low( Milli amps only) it is not needed.

2 To my knowledge, there is no manual for AD-S8...

.As it is a very simple procedure to hook up and operate it is not really needed.

All necessary instructions are on the packet.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 year later...

Powercab will have no problem with simple or even fairly complex routes and the points will fire one after another (not all at the same time).

I to emailed DCC Concepts direct and have received no reply. I really only want to know if they will operate Kato 2 wire points, if not I'll just keep using DS52's and switchkats (though the ADS-8 would be cheaper)

Don

Hi Don,

Just been wiring some ADS-8fx which do have a more substantial instruction sheet with them than the AD-S2 I have. There is no mention of 2 wire solenoids anywhere on the ADS-8fx instructions. They detail ""using Peco, Seep, Hornby, AHM, H&M or other brands of 3-wire twin coil solenoid point motors." Also DCC Concepts are now doing 3way to 2way solenoid convertors in packs of 3, 6 and 12 which sort of proves they are required but might push the per point price back out of your range.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/Cobalt-Range/6-pksolenoid-decoder-converter-3-wire-to-2-wire-dc

Dave

Sunnysa said, "Outside power source cannot be connected to the AD-S8"

Sorry to be contradictory, but you most certainly CAN use a separate power source for this unit - Regulated 12-14vDC (It says on the packet and the board terminals 'DCC or 12-14vDC')

If you install them alongside each point around the layout you'll ideally have a 12-14vDC power bus or, if you keep them all together as a bank in one easy to get at location, you need one 12-14vDC feed and then link them all to your feed, then run wires (6 core alarm wire is good) from there to your points. I do the latter as it saves me having to crawl under the baseboard to the point/decoder position should I experience a problem. I link each one to a two way, spring loaded, centre off, momentary switch on my panel.

As for route setting, have a look in your PowerCab handbook (pages 33&35) you first allocate an accessory number to each point decoder then once this is done you can create as many routes (called macros) as you want, each route having up to 8 points (nb they fire quickly one after the other, not all together) but, if you still can't figure it out, drop me a message and I'll walk you through it.....

The Ads2 and 8 ARE capable of driving 2 or 8 points one after the other (almost simultaneously) when used for a route as each unit has its own cdu..... ie to operate the point the decoder uses the power stored internally in the cdu, not power from the bus. Once fired, it uses power from the bus to recharge the cdu, which takes milliseconds only and I doubt you would ever notice any form of dcc power drop - even when firing 8 points. If you use 12-14vDC it won't make any difference to your dcc at all.....

Mike

EDIT: 24.NOV.2014

I based the above reply on the fact I had just purchased an AD-s2 to use with 2xRTR electrofrogs and 2xSeep PM1's which I was installing at the time. All other points are handbuilt but, due to Doctors Orders (long story), I had to stop making them and needed these two additions.

The additions were to be powered from my 12-14vDC supply and all went well until I switched them for the first time (as a cross-over, both to fire at the same time using one momentary switch) all I got was a twitch from both motors. Thinking I'd got a duff product (most unusual for DCC Concepts) I removed the AD-S2 and did a bench test - everything okay. Put it back into circuit - three twitches to complete a successful point change and, no matter what I did, couldn't obtain a success with one operation of the switch.

Another long story short - I swapped the supply to run off my DCC bus and bingo, a resounding 'Thud' from both points.

So it seems they do work better with DCC rather than plain DC for some reason.....

I have my ads8s fed from a separate power supply a standard dc power supply wont work as stated above the one I us is a 15 volt ac supply

have a look here

digitrains item no TR3

works a treat I have it powering 3 ads8s in a control panel

john

forgot to add this transformer mimics the dcc supply

Hi,

I'm quite sure that DC and AC power supplies will power the DCC Concepts accesory decoders, you just need to get the voltage right. The power input to each block is a bridge rectifier so whether the input is AC or DC it will get turned the right way up but a small voltage will be lost through the bridge recitifer on the way. A 15V AC supply will rectify to give around 21V DC minus around 1.2V for the diode drops through the bridge. On the other hand a 12-14V DC supply might only give 12V minus 1.2V which at 10.8V is a bit low for driving solenoids, particularly a pair. A modern regulated 15V DC supply would give a better result and does not need to be very powerful since it takes a while to recharge the CDU in the module each time the solenoid is fired.  

Hope this helps

Dave

• 1 month later...

Dear Members of this parish

I am seeking help if possible in respect of operating Viessmann Semaphore signals ref.no. 4500/4505 with the DCC Concepts Cobalt Classic turnout motors and a DCC Concept AD-8fx decoder.

I am operating the t/outs successfully from my Digitrax DCS 200 and handheld controller but wondered if it is possible to wire the semaphores into the AD-8fx decoder in sequence as well ?

I have managed to operate the semaphores independently using a switch and separate power supply to them but ideally it would be good if they could be wired to the decoder.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome. 

• 1 year later...

I'm just installing the Dcc Concept AD-S8 and working out well so far,I have two blocks,one on each end P/N and take the feed from the buzz bar to this then take a wire to each on the AD-S8 so all the decoders are live,Just a matter of reprogramming them into the NCE Power Cab.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had success with the Digikeijs DR4018 which is a multi protocol unit.

Having found out following various questions to several companies that the Viessmann unit will not work with the ECoS unit ( apparently?) remembered I'd purchased this cheaper unit about a year ago at an exhibition.

Very easy to wire up and each semaphore responds exactly as it aught to, one happy chappie !

For anyone who may be interested I made a very short video to show the semaphores which I've wired up so far.

https://youtu.be/3KL45vVYGuA

Archived