Hornblock recommendation required

I've dug out of storage an old Agenoria 4mm Kerr Stuart Victory class kist and, following a burst of renewed enthusiasm, am looking to build this kit. However I would like to compensate it and, as I haven't done any compensated chassis for a while and am out of touch as to what is out there, would appreciate some guidance as to the best type of hornblocks/axleboxes to use?

Thanks in advance.

Being a mean Cardiganshire type, where I can I use the old Perseverance ones, which crop up on eBay often enough for me to keep my supplies up - please don't snaffle them all as they appear!

I have used the High Level ones, and from many points of view they are really excellent, but do take a little more work.

I can second High Level hornblocks. Very neat and no soldering required. I did spend quite a lot of time fettling the sliding surfaces to get a good fit, but this is true of other types as well I think.

John

*I was going to link to a Photobucket image but that's not working for me.

post-5932-0-37967100-1384184886_thumb.jpg

There are also the Brassmasters hornblocks.

Here's a link on them and how they are used.

http://www.clag.org.uk/brassmaster.html

Never used these but I know Tim Venton has with great success.

MJT also do hornblocks which work well in Gordan Ashton's springing units..I think Gordan can still supply them? 

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.php

regards

Mike

I would reccomend High Level horn blocks and horn guides, followed by MJT.

I have not produced any more of my individually sprung horn guides as CSB's appear to be the main player in springing steam loco  chassis's.

If there is a demand for individually sprung hornguides then I would reconsider producing some more.

Gordon A

Bristol

Personally, having tried many horn guides, I now use the London Road cast brass horn guides as first choice. They're expensive, but ever so easy to use. My next choice would be High Level guides followed by MJT detailed.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Just to add (slightly off-topic as the OP was asking about something suitable for compensation) that the good folks at High Level also provide all the gubbins needed to set up their hornblocks for continuous spring beam suspension - quite a nicely co-ordinated system, in fact, with a jig which shows where to place the spring anchors and all.

Ah the wonders of good engineering!

Archived