RMweb

Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

Bit like the rail network last night then.

Yes, had an interesting journey from Welwyn Garden City to Rugeley Town yesterday. Fair play to LM for at least trying to keep some trains moving while VT seemed to have just given up all hope of anything going any where.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Over a month since my last update and very little progress to report. However, freshly inspired after a weekend at Trainwest with BCB, I've finally got around to adding the last section of rail to that tandem turnout.

post-6677-0-17754000-1491940460_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-93851100-1491940491_thumb.jpg

There are a few detail bits to add, then I can get the paint out.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Or, you could not paint it and leave so it looks like what it is - a refurbished section of track.

I'm all for taking the odd shortcut, but without paint the light brown chairs and shiny steel rail don't look much like real track. I wasn't going to worry too much about the ballast colour though, seems reasonably common to have several different ballast colours on the prototype where there has been some relaying.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Less than two months before the layout is due to appear at our show in Gnosall, Staffs. I've turned my attention to adding a few scenic details to the layout.

This chap and his dog need gluing in place, along with the oil drums.

post-6677-0-49941600-1494683650_thumb.jpg

On the buildings along the backscene I've been adding some pipework. There is still some painting and weathering to be done though.

post-6677-0-73566500-1494683811_thumb.jpg

Finally, the corrugated iron fence has turned rusty.

post-6677-0-57361400-1494683880_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Passengers on the line through Fryers Lane no longer have to put up with a rattling old 101, shiny new passenger stock has arrived (or it will have once I get some axles to convert the other half of this 155).

post-6677-0-36593700-1494757123_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Quick project for this evening. Pick up upgrade for my ViTrains 37.

As supplied it had a steel wire that picked up from the leading and trailing wheels of each bogie. This worked OK, but had a tendency to come unclipped from the bogie, reshaping the wire to reach the P4 wheels probably didn't help.

The upgraded versions are shown below. Phosphor bronze strip for the leading and trailing wheels and a short length of phosphor bronze wire for the middle wheels.

post-6677-0-93236300-1494882250_thumb.jpg

The steel wire they replace is also in the photo. Final shaping of the pick ups will take place after the glued joint to the bogie has set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like you've bitten the bullet on the pickups, should be worthwhile investing the time and effort.

Yes, it's one of those jobs I'd been meaning to do for a while. If it's a success the 47 (also a ViTrains) will get the same treatment. Even with this additional task, they are still really easy to convert to P4; the Bachmann versions of the same require a bit more work to get them running successfully.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's one of those jobs I'd been meaning to do for a while. If it's a success the 47 (also a ViTrains) will get the same treatment. Even with this additional task, they are still really easy to convert to P4; the Bachmann versions of the same require a bit more work to get them running successfully.

Are they just glued to the bogie?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Are they just glued to the bogie?

Andy

That was the plan, soldered to an offcut of copperclad then glued. However looking at them this morning the Alardite I used seems to have failed to make a successful bond with the plastic of the inner bogie frame. I'll probably drill through and pop a screw through instead.

• RMweb Premium

Also more resistance!!!

Mike.

Fair point, but I don't think the mechanism in these will find a bit of extra resistance too taxing.

And besides, my coil of the beryllium copper wire wasn't where it was supposed to be when I went looking for pickup materials last night. I've found it since though.

• RMweb Premium

While we're on the subject, I recall reading somewhere that it is a good idea to add a "pad" of brass to the end of phosphor bronze strip pickups. Anybody have any views on what the benefits of doing this are and whether this is worthwhile?