RMweb

Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Gold

While we're on the subject, I recall reading somewhere that it is a good idea to add a "pad" of brass to the end of phosphor bronze strip pickups. Anybody have any views on what the benefits of doing this are and whether this is worthwhile?

I seem to remember being told that the Phosphor Bronze made the best contact, unless you've got some small squares of gold lying about.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While we're on the subject, I recall reading somewhere that it is a good idea to add a "pad" of brass to the end of phosphor bronze strip pickups. Anybody have any views on what the benefits of doing this are and whether this is worthwhile?

Pointless IMHO.

You are negating the benefit of PB by putting brass in the way, and then there's the solder contact as well.

To spread the contact area of wire pick ups, just put a loop on the end of the wire.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some holes drilled and tapped 12BA and the pickups are now securely attached to the bogies and we're up and running again.

post-6677-0-76844800-1494968463_thumb.jpg

All in all probably only took an hour so well worthwhile.

Unfortunately the next one will be a little more involved...

post-6677-0-22400100-1494968753_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've never been entirely happy with the warehouse building at the left end if the layout. While it does its job of providing a purpose for the siding, it doesn't hide the fiddle yard exit on the rear siding behind it particularly well.

I've toyed with various different ideas, ranging from just putting up with it to adding another board to extend the layout and give more space for a different structure. What I think I've settled on is to modify the existing building (and not add another board).

I've cut the building back so it doesn't stick out from the backscene as much. There will then be a extension coming forward into the scenic area, with a slightly lower eaves height and only half the width if the building - probably with some sort of loading platform next to the siding. Something like this,although the extension will be longer:

post-6677-0-65840300-1495307581_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've never been entirely happy with the warehouse building at the left end if the layout. While it does its job of providing a purpose for the siding, it doesn't hide the fiddle yard exit on the rear siding behind it particularly well.

I've toyed with various different ideas, ranging from just putting up with it to adding another board to extend the layout and give more space for a different structure. What I think I've settled on is to modify the existing building (and not add another board).

I've cut the building back so it doesn't stick out from the backscene as much. There will then be a extension coming forward into the scenic area, with a slightly lower eaves height and only half the width if the building - probably with some sort of loading platform next to the siding. Something like this,although the extension will be longer:

attachicon.gif2017-05-20_08-11-51.jpg

That would hide the siding exit, it's true...

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Slow but steady progress with the extension of the warehouse.

post-6677-0-27032900-1496698681_thumb.jpg

Still needs a roof and sinking into the ground to bring the bottom of the door opening down to the right level. I wanted the roller shutter door to be open, so had to add some basic internal detail, although it's hardly visible; still, I know it's there.

post-6677-0-59749500-1496698780_thumb.jpg

Quite effective at blocking the view of the rear siding exit to the fiddle yard.

• Like 16

attachicon.gif2017-06-05_10-34-39.jpg

Still needs a roof and sinking into the ground to bring the bottom of the door opening down to the right level. I wanted the roller shutter door to be open, so had to add some basic internal detail, although it's hardly visible; still, I know it's there.

attachicon.gif2017-06-05_10-35-57.jpg

Quite effective at blocking the view of the rear siding exit to the fiddle yard.

Excellent Mark, far better and really convincing. 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif2017-06-05_10-34-39.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-06-05_10-35-57.jpg

Very good. I missed the bit about sinking into the ground, I thought that was a loading deck. I was about to PM you and list some problems when I noticed the pedestrian door was also in the air and I read it again.

I looks the part, and give the scene an extra dimension.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

Yes, original plan was a loading platform, but I struggled to find a suitable prototype to copy, so switched to this instead. I guess the widespread use of forklifts would have made constructing a loading platform unnecessary.

The back story I've dreamt up is that the warehouse was extended to accommodate longer wagons. These are unloaded outside, but the extension provides a covered area where pallets are stored.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

Yes, original plan was a loading platform, but I struggled to find a suitable prototype to copy, so switched to this instead. I guess the widespread use of forklifts would have made constructing a loading platform unnecessary.

The back story I've dreamt up is that the warehouse was extended to accommodate longer wagons. These are unloaded outside, but the extension provides a covered area where pallets are stored.

Just need to add the multitude of unnecessary chimneys and a milk tanker now Mark and your dairy will be complete.

• RMweb Premium

OK, time to be brave and chop a big hole in the baseboard and plant a building.

post-6677-0-39364000-1496775172_thumb.jpg

Phew, I don't think it's looking too bad.

It does leave a small hole that needs filling which had previously been inside the original building.

post-6677-0-23113600-1496775192_thumb.jpg

Better get that filled in before anyone uses that door; although now it's stopped raining that job will have to wait until after the dogs have had their walk.

• Like 10

Mark

Are you setting the height of the building such that their is a 6" (2mm) step at the bottom of the single leaf door and a ramp for the roller shutter door to prevent water ingress from the yard

Geoff

• RMweb Premium

Mark

Are you setting the height of the building such that their is a 6" (2mm) step at the bottom of the single leaf door and a ramp for the roller shutter door to prevent water ingress from the yard

Geoff

Mark....  say yes...

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Mark

Geoff

, or a strip drain across the threshold?

MIke.

• RMweb Premium

Mark

Geoff

Thanks Geoff; yes, as Chris mentioned, he'd reminded me of the same thing.  To be honest, I had remembered to do this with the garage building I did for the layout last year, but had almost overlooked it here.

, or a strip drain across the threshold?

MIke.

I was thinking maybe a moat around the building, would that work?  In fact, since I've decided the warehouse deals in the storage and distribution of biscuits, I was thinking the moat could be filled with tea, to allow for dunking checks for quality control purposes.

Looking great Mark!

Not much longer to Gnosal !

Thanks; yes about a month away, very much looking forward to it.  I should probably connect the wires from the track I replaced to the DCC at some point...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...