G'Day all,

I have recently shifted my focus for my modelling from the GWR to the SR. I am particually interested in learning more about the electric system of the Southern. I was wondering what books would be useful to add to my library on this topic. I have just purchased volume 1 of Southern Electric from Capital Transport. I have a copy of Modern Locomotives Illustrated on the Electro Diesels. I want to learn more about the EMU stock as well as the "Hornbys" as I am particually interested in these aspects. Any advice would be appreciated. Out of print items present no problems as there are some very good second hand bool dealers locally who have a fair bit of UK stock.

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

In my yoof, the definitive accessible history of Southern Electric was a book of that title by G.T.Moody. First published in 1957, I have the 4th edition from1968, which includes Bournemouth Electrification. Publisher was Ian Allan. Hint - books in those days tended to be long on words, short on pictures, due to the higher costs of reproduction, so the text is marvellously full of facts, but the pictures are not numerous by comparison with modern publications, perhaps.

Hello Amelia,

I believe there are few books which cover the Southern Electrical System per se, it seems to be more a case of buying books which cover the Southern Railway / Southern Region in general, and which happen to include a chapter or two on those aspects you are particularly interested in.

I am relatively new to the subject myself, so am no expert ... Olddudders has suggested one book, and to that I would add:

Southern Electric Vol 1 (which you already have) and Vol 2, both of which seem fairly comprehensive.

For pictures and diagrammes I also enjoy browsing through Brian Goulding's 'A Pictorial Record of Southern Electric Units'.

People may be able to help further with suggestions if you could advise whether you are interested in (for eg) the whole history of the Southern Electric system, or just a specific time frame.

Are you planning a layout?

• RMweb Premium

There's a mass of information out there.  There are also online and actual interest groups which may be of use.  Two of these are: 

Southern Electric Group www.southernelectric.org.uk

Southern eMail Group www.semgonline.com

The GT Moody book Ian mentioned has long since been out of print and is not a particualrly well-written history in my opinion but it does well to record many significant events.  My own 1968 copy is now in rather shabby condition and you might be lucky to even locate one these days but other and more recnt histories are available.

"Southern Electric - A New History" by David Brown in two volumes brings the story up more or less to date and is available through SEG Sales on the Southern Electric Group link

Evening all,

Many thanks to all for their advice and guidance. My very small layout, Amelia Grove is designed with the idea of running stock from the 1930's to 1994. Even though I am in my thirties modern image, TOC,s and privatisation does not interest me as a modelling prospect. Pre BR and NSE era particularly interest me. Will chase up the Titles mentioned and will look at the website listed in the coming days

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben

Apart from those already mentioned, there is another Capital Transport album on Southern EMUs by Michael Welch (companion volume to the one on DEMUs shown on the SEG site ) and several other albums now out of print. One is the Alan Williams book in the Abebooks link above, there is also a two volume set by Marsden but my favourite is another called Southern Electric published by Bradford Barton in their familiar square format series. I'm away from home at the moment so can't give you chapter and verse - someone else might beat me to it though.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a heads up on this one as I am compiling a new book on Southern Electrics, to cover units in service between 1948 and 1972 for release hopefully this year. Also covering Classes 70, 71, 73 and 74. If anyone has any photographs either colour or black & white and would like to submit some for the book, then please drop me an email.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Just a heads up on this one as I am compiling a new book on Southern Electrics, to cover units in service between 1948 and 1972 for release hopefully this year. Also covering Classes 70, 71, 73 and 74. If anyone has any photographs either colour or black & white and would like to submit some for the book, then please drop me an email.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Hi Kevin

Your proposed new book sounds interesting especially as will be including the dc locos. I think I have every book available re the Southern Electric and I am looking for an excuse to add another. Please keep us posted....

Gerry

• 2 months later...

Archived