Castle Review, sadly a bit gutless

2TATrains

Well, I've gone and brought a new Hornby Castle, and I have to say, excellent on the detail front. But put a load on the back of more that 6 coaches round the most shallow of Hornby's corners and it becomes gutless. A real shame, I expected a little more from Hornby's Castle.

Hear our video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l32B54_S9cM

Anyone else had any issues?

2TATrains

Nice review, enjoyable to watch, well done, I agree with much of it, especially the engine-tender plug thing.  The traction thing might be improved, if it worries you, by adding some weight to the boiler and/or checking the free-running of carriages, my own versions of the Hornby Castle can haul ten Bachmann Mk1s... 

at 2.50-ish and at the end with 5053 'Earl Cairns' which is the same design late Hornby type. Pretty basic video, just me playing trains.

Cheers,

Rob

edit, nothing added to engine or carriages, all just stock. and type 2 and 3 curves on approach to station

Heh, I misread the thread title as meaning the review was a bit gutless. doh!

Anyhow, as to ice block packaging, my Bachmann 9f came in that and the tender was still not attached. Not only that, it was so close around the model that it bent the cab roof slightly. Overall, I'm OK with Hornby's 'old fashioned' packaging.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that annoys me with the Hornby packaging, is the loco tender connector. Great system once hocked up, but having to disconnect the socket if you want to store it in its box can be fiddly. Saying that, most of the time my engines are on display so it doesn't effect me too much, but its still an issue. As for the gutless castle, someone gave me some info on putting weights in the castle to weigh it down more so it doesnt loose as much traction (cheers Rob above!). When I get a chance I'm going to modify my castle and do a video with the same rake of coaches and see how it gets on. Please also note the coaches used are the £3.99 cheepo ones, and although I find them good for what they are, the'll never run as well as a Bachmann or Hornby equivalant Mk 1's. And under the same conditions the castle would of probally pulled the rake of 7, but will find out when I get my Hornby Star and test it with Bachmann mk1 coaches :)

The thing that annoys me with the Hornby packaging, is the loco tender connector. Great system once hocked up, but having to disconnect the socket if you want to store it in its box can be fiddly. Saying that, most of the time my engines are on display so it doesn't effect me too much, but its still an issue. As for the gutless castle, someone gave me some info on putting weights in the castle to weigh it down more so it doesnt loose as much traction (cheers Rob above!). When I get a chance I'm going to modify my castle and do a video with the same rake of coaches and see how it gets on. Please also note the coaches used are the £3.99 cheepo ones, and although I find them good for what they are, the'll never run as well as a Bachmann or Hornby equivalant Mk 1's. And under the same conditions the castle would of probally pulled the rake of 7, but will find out when I get my Hornby Star and test it with Bachmann mk1 coaches :)

Hornby do sell a special little tool for uncoupling the plug.

Yeah this is true *and cheers for pointing it out) but either way its just a fiddly thing

Surely that is an accepted result of scaling things down and making models - if you miniaturise things some bits tend to get small and fiddly. ;)

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived