Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

NCE Power Cab - problems with re-entering a loco address.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon. I have a problem that I can not work out (not unusual for me). 

Situation:

I am using a Power Cab hand held and my 'helper' has a NCE 06 Cab. We are both using sound locos. I have one working and leave it working. I then select another loco and get that working and park it without shutting it down. I go back to the/my original loco without using the recall facility as it is not on the stack. As I enter the address it shuts down. How do I avoid that!

Something else I can't get is how I take over a loco from the other user with the 06 cab. He has left it 'working' but when I take it over and enter the address, again it shuts down! What am I doing wrong? I've read all the handbooks supplied and can't seem to find a solution. Is there info available on the NCE Web Site about this sort of thing?

Many thanks in anticipation of your advice.

P @ 36E

Does the shutdown actually happen as you re-enter the address or when you go to set off?  I have Powercab and Procab and have found that, having reselected a loco (ie having re-entered its address) I must press F1 before setting any speed step.  If I do that, the sound continues.  However, if one handset has been controlling a moving train and this technique is used to pass control to the other, the train will react to the zero speed-step setting until it has been increased to the same value as was on the other handset.  The same technique is used for lighting.

My apologies if this is not relevant.

Harold.

• RMweb Premium

It has been happening on re entering the address, but I now think I know why (see below). Anyway Harold that is actually useful; thanks especially if I upgrade to Pro Cab later..

I believe I have found my own answer to my question by re reading the manuals (really carefully this time) for both cabs. I have not been using the Recall facility correctly - doh!

P

That's the way it works my anatinae friend. You need to use the recall stack if you want to avoid the sound chip restarting. That's one reason a lot of us want the NCE upgrade that gives 6 recall slots....

I thought you would have been using a Lenz system.!!!!!

No recall problems over here.

Hi there, must admit I have give up waiting for the Powecab upgrade but has it happens I have upgraded with a SB5 booster which has the 6 recall slots. By the way there is a NCE-DCC group on Yahoo Groups,you can get answers for almost anything on there with a lot of very knowledgable guys regarding NCE gear.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. Redgate, I have now 'discovered' the recall method I was not using correctly. NCE has the feature; I do not have the capability (yet). Honestly, I must be needing new specs as it was there in the NCE small print.

Some helpful tips there! The Yahoo Group sounds good but I need to also get to grips with using that system as well :mail:

I received an upgrade chip through the post some time ago! I have fitted it (correctly I hasten to say) and now I should be able to use it to the full!

If I have a SB3A booster; does that have a six stack? Maybe I'm not using my Booster correctly either - blimey, what a dolt I am! However, the paperwork for that SB3 A is a bit vague IMO. I've even shown my set up on the layout to an experienced NCE user and even he was uncertain about the linking of the Booster to an original ECU (powered up as well) and where the PowerCab unit should then be plugged in.

Oh, If my Booster does have the 6 stack then I will have a spare upgrade chip won't I? If that's the case it can go on loan to someone who needs one and so on until we all have our upgrades! :rtfm:

P

If I remember correctly, the recall stack is part of the command station built into the PowerCab. If you plug the PowerCab into another command station, say a SB3a in command station mode, the command station and recall stack in the PowerCab is no longer available. You'll be then using the recall stack in the SB3a which should have a stack of upto 6. The number of recalls is set in the command station parameters section and is usually set to 2 by default.

If I remember correctly, the recall stack is part of the command station built into the PowerCab. If you plug the PowerCab into another command station, say a SB3a in command station mode, the command station and recall stack in the PowerCab is no longer available. You'll be then using the recall stack in the SB3a which should have a stack of upto 6. The number of recalls is set in the command station parameters section and is usually set to 2 by default.

I'm sure you can change the recall stack on a standard hand set I say this because I have a standard hand set and I can recall 6 trains I had to do something but can't remember what

Yes to change the stack you have the cab plugged into your command station,unless your lucky and your powercab has v1.65, mines the SB5 booster, and you go into " SET CAB PARAMS " menu to change the stack. When you are using the booster, the information is stored on the booster not in the cab, so your powercab will revert back to two unless you are on V1.65, with your cab.

Archived