Tesco ? In Goring ? No chance ! Only a Harrod's food hall built in the style of Westminster Abbey woud be good enough. 

They could re-open Major Rance's wonderful cheese shop; I still remember the look on Rance Junior's face when my 13-month old French god-daughter insisted on trying some of his most mature Cheddar. 'It's a bit strong' he kept saying, but he admitted defeat when I explained that she'd been eating goats' milk cheese from her great-aunts since she started on solids.

• Like 2

The delays to signalling changeover seem to be mainly down to resource shortages to actually do the work because scheme design has been done for most of it - there could also possibly have been a delay in detailed drawings or software design.  However signalling changeover is I understand now complete throughout from Paddington to the vicinity of Wootton Bassett, Reading to Newbury and Basinsgstoke was done some time back, Reading to Maidenhead was done at easter last year although structure renewal east of Shottesbrook was not done so there might be some old cabling there (which doesn't seem to have affected piling work).

Swindon Panel closes next month with all functions transferring to TVSC (and the Panel itself transferring to Didcot!),

BBC South Today reporting on further delays

Bristol to be wired by 2020

Oxford to be a diesel shuttle for 18 months change at didcot

And the reading to Southampton electric spine has disappeared totally

Apologies if this is old news just regurgitated

Colin

BBC South Today reporting on further delays

Bristol to be wired by 2020

Oxford to be a diesel shuttle for 18 months change at didcot

And the reading to Southampton electric spine has disappeared totally

Apologies if this is old news just regurgitated

Colin

An Oxford shuttle is the only new bit (to me anyway). I had assumed they would use either bi-mode IEP's or retain some 125's (or DMU's) to keep a through service going. I wonder why not?

• RMweb Gold

That sounds about right!

Oh, I remember that well. With the memories of managing the rail industry response to the Eclipse in 1999 still fresh in my mind, I installed a 'Gold Control' in the back office in Bristol Panel, something that with hindsight, I would never need to do now.

Oh, I remember that well. With the memories of managing the rail industry response to the Eclipse in 1999 still fresh in my mind, I installed a 'Gold Control' in the back office in Bristol Panel, something that with hindsight, I would never need to do now.

That sounds like you were expecting us to bu88er up! Oh ye of little faith!

• Like 1

An Oxford shuttle is the only new bit (to me anyway). I had assumed they would use either bi-mode IEP's or retain some 125's (or DMU's) to keep a through service going. I wonder why not?

I'll ask about when I get the chance but I imagine that the shuttles will be to replace the OXF-"Ealing Broadway" services that stop at most shacks between Oxford and Paddington, through services, particularly after Chiltern have arrived are going to be pretty important to maintain and there's very few passengers that alight at Oxford/Radley/Culham/Appleford that weren't going to change at DID anyway.

As one of the passengers on an overnight charter from Stafford to Plymouth on Eclipse day I have to say the whole process was very well organised and confounded all the harping critics who were sure that the newly privatised railway would well and truly stuff up.

Pity the weather didn't have a "gold control".

• Like 1

The delays to signalling changeover seem to be mainly down to resource shortages to actually do the work because scheme design has been done for most of it - there could also possibly have been a delay in detailed drawings or software design.  However signalling changeover is I understand now complete throughout from Paddington to the vicinity of Wootton Bassett, Reading to Newbury and Basinsgstoke was done some time back, Reading to Maidenhead was done at easter last year although structure renewal east of Shottesbrook was not done so there might be some old cabling there (which doesn't seem to have affected piling work).

Hi MIke,

Yes, Paddington to Wotton Bassett is in TVSC now, Oxford I believe is next, but I'm currently not sure of dates. I can't comment for obvious reasons on why projects are delayed, but we are all working hard to get it done! :)

Swindon Panel closes next month with all functions transferring to TVSC (and the Panel itself transferring to Didcot!),

Technically, as above most of the panel is transferred to TVSC, there isn't much left of the panel to go now.

Also, although this may have been covered before, there is some contact wire on the Down Main (I was travelling on the Up Main this afternoon, so could see any other lines) between Didcot & Reading (I'm afraid I can't be more specific as it was getting dark, I was sitting in a noise vestibule on an HST and I was tired!).

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

I would assume it's for the local services as already mentioned. The HST and Class 180 worked trains would in any case convert to IEP if they go beyond Oxford but those which are 'short terminators' at Oxford will depend entiirely on the set diagrams and whether that capacity will still exist in the IEP fleet.

The basic Oxford terminator/starter local service would go over to emus (387s etc) and they obviously won't be able to get off the wired/live section so that fits for a dmu shuttle.

I can but presume that Oxford might be delayed by tardy signalling changeover but as a lot of the work for that is already in place on the ground I wonder if that really is the cause (and I hadn't read Simon's post when I wrote this)?  We appear from these 'leaks' to be looking at a very minimal amount of work going to be done when you consider the time available in which to do it with masses of possession availability (or at least theoretical possession availability) east of Wootton Bassett there for the taking.  Is it again a matter of resources being switched to Crossrail work I wonder?

• RMweb Gold

Great Western Railway electrification 'four years late'

The electrification of some routes across the south of England is running four years late, Network Rail has said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35376805

Although we've known there will be delays in completion, but not this much.

As GWR have said it's "dreadful"...appalling more like. This is rapidly becoming like a Muppett production.

NR report here

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-Update.pdf

Page 89 for GWML.

Filton bank and Temple Meads infrastructure completion stated only as CP6.

Infrastructure to Bristol parkway and Cardiff complete 2019 but Start of electric services listed only as CP6!

Start of infrastructure west of Carfiff stated only as CP6....

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if this is part of an attempt to turn the bad PR around by setting out a worst case scenario with the intention of trying to catch up and possibly bring in some it earlier. The Parkway to Temple Meads stretch will obviously be dependent on the four tracking of Filton bank and progress with remodelling Temple Meads so that is understandable but at least with the bi modes there will just be the short stretch from Parkway down the bank on the diesels. The services via Bath may have quite a performance penalty though.

Jamie

The services via Bath may have quite a performance penalty though.

Jamie

Get some hauled stock top and tailed with Class 50s (or how about 68s ?) as an interim measure :) - they coped well on their own in 1980 running to exisiting schedules (or close anyway) when the 2nd batch of HSTs had traction motor problems

Edited by D1059
  • Like 1

Although we've known there will be delays in completion, but not this much.

As GWR have said it's "dreadful"...appalling more like. This is rapidly becoming like a Muppett production.

I don't know who "we" describes, but everyone following this thread has known these dates for several months. GWR didn't say it was "dreadful". It was the passenger group who said that, but they say that about almost everything.

This "news" is simply reporting the new issue of the Network Plan, which consolidates all schemes into one report. The junior staff who no doubt copied and pasted this have forgotten they already reported this at the time of the second letter from Hendy. Clearly a no news day, along with New Zealand sheep helping to capture fugitives.....oh, and a wedding video going viral.

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

NR report here

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-Update.pdf

Page 89 for GWML.

Filton bank and Temple Meads infrastructure completion stated only as CP6.

Infrastructure to Bristol parkway and Cardiff complete 2019 but Start of electric services listed only as CP6!

Start of infrastructure west of Carfiff stated only as CP6....

That's not correct - although it is only shown as 'Indicative'  Bristol Parkway - Cardiff is shown as 'authorised for passenger use' in December 2018.  Beyond Cardiff is shown as CP6.

In fact assuming the dates are met quite a lot of routes should be able to go over to full electric operation for the December 2018 timetable change if the words are actually what they say.  Quite why 'first timetabled public use'' does not coincide with 'authorised for passenger train use' is rather puzzling and suggests to me that the dates which seem to be indicated as firm are not quite as firm as we are wanted to believe.  

Where the  'authorised for passenger use' month coincides with the major timetable change date, i.e. December, it strikes me as rather daft not to plan on that basis - unless the author of the report does not believe what he is being told?

• Like 1

That's not correct - although it is only shown as 'Indicative' Bristol Parkway - Cardiff is shown as 'authorised for passenger use' in December 2018. Beyond Cardiff is shown as CP6.

In fact assuming the dates are met quite a lot of routes should be able to go over to full electric operation for the December 2018 timetable change if the words are actually what they say. Quite why 'first timetabled public use'' does not coincide with 'authorised for passenger train use' is rather puzzling and suggests to me that the dates which seem to be indicated as firm are not quite as firm as we are wanted to believe.

Where the 'authorised for passenger use' month coincides with the major timetable change date, i.e. December, it strikes me as rather daft not to plan on that basis - unless the author of the report does not believe what he is being told?

that was my thought and why I gave the more pessimistic of the dates, we should know for sure 01/01/2019 :-)

• RMweb Gold

Anyway whatever your views of the latest update of this Report - which as Mike says coincides fairly exactly with what we already knew from the earlier version - there is some interesting news from Goring, the hotbed of Thames Valley protest movements.

A developer has announced its intention to build 140 houses on a site which happens to be just out of view to the right of the lady from the Conservation Board in the anti-ohle video.  Nimby forces are being assembled as I write and of course some of the houses will have an excellent view of the railway so no doubt the legal eagles doing searches will have some fun regarding masts and such like;  and no doubt the latest lot of incomers, if the houses are built, will also want the Tesco provided as well!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I don't know who "we" describes, 

...Us as lives down yer my handsome....!

It isn't a 'no news day' today. The sh1t has hit the fan with local MPs upset on television.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

In an ocular version of predictive texting, I initially read post 1489 as a 'Diesel shunter to Oxford'.

The way that BBC South Today dramatised it you may be right :-)

Descriptions of passengers leaving warm new trains to stand at didcot, suffering from hypothermia before completing the journey in clapped out diesels etc etc

• RMweb Premium

The new footbridge at Chippenham was opened this afternoon, a combination of electrification works and access for all improvements. The news paper article includes a time lapse video of the project. I know its progress, but the old bridge has a special place in my life as I spent (far too) many hours watching the trains there in the 70s and 80s.

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/towns/chippenhamheadlines/14224687.VIDEO__New_rail_bridge_opens_but_passengers_suffer_electrification_delays/