A caption said Moreton-on-Lugg, which is on the North and West between Hereford and Shrewsbury. There must have been a possession on the normal route via Gloucester. Another working on this service derailed partially when returning empty via Gloucester.

Thanks

Now I've watched it again I spotted it at the bottom on the opening.

Knew it was somewhere I'd been, but only the once

I've seen and been over far worse than that. The LM out of Euston was really bad for it, and when the wet beds when formed, the electric locos and units bounced a hell of a lot and caused them to repeat. You didn't want to be holding a cup of tea in your hand when sat in the cab of a 31 when you hit one!. The real thing that mattered was not how the body moved but the interaction of the wheelsets and bogies on the track. Iv'e been driving a 56 on a freightliner at 70MPH and if you had been watching the loco coming towards you, you would have sworn it was going to derail. Body bounced all over the shop, but looking at the bogies, they where running true and straight. The springing between the bogies and the body made it look worse than it was. All locos had a different type of movement. 31's bounced a hell of a lot, whereas 47's rode well in the vertical but would roll alarmingly at times.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More pics from my quick stroll down to Station Road Bridge in Keynsham earlier this evening . Looks like the down trackbed is taking shape - I took these about 3 hours ago so I expect they've laid the track by now - they are not hanging about......

post-1107-0-50873300-1459798575_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-45367300-1459798583_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-58431900-1459798592_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-36463000-1459798602_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-27065200-1459798611_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Gilbert's quick posting (nice photos, by the way), his are out of sequence with mine, which were taken this morning when I visited the site:

post-57-0-53871600-1459799633.jpg

post-57-0-83889500-1459799643.jpg

post-57-0-88538500-1459799652.jpg

post-57-0-06230900-1459799665.jpg

post-57-0-51044600-1459799673.jpg

Train 6T30 approaches the site from the North Somerset Jct direction, having come from Hinksey Yard, Oxford:

post-57-0-18575100-1459799682.jpg

post-57-0-67937400-1459799693.jpg

post-57-0-18653700-1459799741.jpg

The train was conveying sand in some of the rear wagons, so was brought to a stand by the site Engineering Supervisor at this location, to enable the sand to be offloaded, starting at the Bristol-end of the site:

post-57-0-08949800-1459799753.jpg

post-57-0-30567100-1459799765.jpg

Finally, there seemed to be some vegetation clearance work going on, on the old trackbed of the former branch into the old Fry's factory, just across the road from what is now the upside station car park at Keynsham. This work was nothing to do with Network Rail:

post-57-0-63564400-1459799874.jpg

I couldn't go over and ask the blokes what they were actually doing, because NR staff, contractors and visitors will get 'close called' if they cross the road at that location whilst on duty. The signing on/access point for the NR site is just down the road towards Bitton, on the opposite side to the entrance to the station car park and a mini-bus is provided for the short journey to/from the station. I suppose we could have gone back to the car, driven up to the town,  taken off my orange, and walked back down in 'civvies' if there had been time, but unfortunately there wasn't.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Probably all part of the housing development on the "Frys" site.

While I was on the bridge chatting to other spectators on Saturday I spoke to an old chap reminiscing about how'd he had a ride on a 22 into the Fry's plant, shunted, then back out to Keynsham east - run round and dropped off in the station where he'd left his bike...

• Like 3

Hi,

This kind of to do with the electrification, Network Rail has released a video about the Oxford Corridor Capacity improvements:

Unfortunately this neglects to say anything about the massive resignalling that my colleagues and I have been working on for the past couple of years.

Also I've heard about that the 387's and 365's that Great Western will receive soon are to run at 110mph when on the main lines. 387 testing is due to start very soon between Old Oak and the Up Airport at Stockley until Christmas when they will run in the Bay at Hayes.

Simon Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get in a trip BPW to Cardiff yesterday, although as the granddaughter was with me, it was somewhat perfunctory as to elect. progress. Beyond the new Hitachi train care place, nothing much through the patchway tunnels, then there's quite a good stretch of mast bases on the downside through Pilning. Through the Tunnel and on, it looks as if some bridge work still to do around Magor. There's some more mast bases in the Llanwern area on the downside, and all the way along here a lot of work gang activity, cutting back overgrowth and digging holes. One thing struck me was that the felled trees have been logged up and parcelled up with plastic straps ready for collection. Network Rail got a woodburning stove somewhere? No more bases after that, but all the Cardiff area is a hive of activity, holes being dug, footbridges going up, etc. Coming back, you'll be glad to hear most of the mast bases seem to be done on the upside from around Pengam ft/liner to Ebbw Jc. Just a few standing proud. After Newport, not much to see.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did Newport to Cardiff and back today (and via the North to East and East to West sides of the triangle east of Newport owing to work on the North to West curve). No mast bases but the new signalling seems mostly complete. They do look odd. Several bridges have been taken out, there looks like at least one new one, and there seem to be a number of temporary footbridges while bridges are raised (and a kit of parts for one just west of Cardiff).

I was reminded of an incident when the South Wales Railway was being built (no, I am not that old but was researching the TVR last year). Brunel asked the Taff Vale compeny to raise its line over the main line to ease the gradients on the South Wales Railway, suggesting that it would make little difference to the TV gradients. George Fisher for the TVR said no very firmly. I wonder what the clearance is under the TVR viaduct and what if anything will have to be done there. As the GWR line is right on the approaches to the station much lowering would be difficult - and they seem to be completing some work on the south side of the station (Platform 8?)

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

I did Newport to Cardiff and back today (and via the North to East and East to West sides of the triangle east of Newport owing to work on the North to West curve). No mast bases but the new signalling seems mostly complete. They do look odd. Several bridges have been taken out, there looks like at least one new one, and there seem to be a number of temporary footbridges while bridges are raised (and a kit of parts for one just west of Cardiff).

I was reminded of an incident when the South Wales Railway was being built (no, I am not that old but was researching the TVR last year). Brunel asked the Taff Vale compeny to raise its line over the main line to ease the gradients on the South Wales Railway, suggesting that it would make little difference to the TV gradients. George Fisher for the TVR said no very firmly. I wonder what the clearance is under the TVR viaduct and what if anything will have to be done there. As the GWR line is right on the approaches to the station much lowering would be difficult - and they seem to be completing some work on the south side of the station (Platform 8?)

Jonathan

Have they now renewed all the (almost new) bracket/gantry signals around Newport?  That's pretty quick going as they hadn't been touched a couple of months back although work was well ahead on new signals structures (with many commissioned) west of Marshfield and as far as Cardiff General Central  by then.

The clearance under the TVR viaduct looks pretty tight but presumably they might be able to lower the mainline (even more) to avoid lifting the Taff line?

• RMweb Gold

Latest Update on Works West of Reading - observations on Saturday 09 April

A number of booms are now in pace west of Reading station and appear to be complete on the Relief Lines between Westbury Line Jcn and Scours Lane plus some in place on the Mains at the west end of the flyover.

Little change noted between Scours Lane and Tilehurst station (exclusive)  apart from 2 uprights immediately east of the station all booms are in place but no further progress with installing register arms at the end although material is one site further east in the vicinity of Scours Lane.  Presumably the 'fleet' of road-rail cherry pickers at Tilehurst are being used to install the register arms?

There is now only one boom remaining to be installed at the west end of Tllehurst station with the other two to the west of the footbridge now in position but no register arms added.

No change on previous report between Tilehurst and Pangbourne - the catenary at the Tlleurst end cannot be extended eastwards until the outstanding booms and register arms are in position although all register arms to the west of Tilehurst station are, it appears. now done.

At Pangbourne station booms are now in place on the Relief Lines side.

There has been little change between Pangbourne and Goring - the catenary previously installed cannot be extended until all the booms are in place and they are not yet finished on Basildon bridge.  All other booms are now in place between Pangbourne and Goring station (inclusive) and including the platforms at Goring where work on the bridge is also progressing.

West of Goring there are still signs of some of the disjointed nature which has typified work in the Thames Valley - in the cutting west of Goring station on the Upside there are two) masts not even installed yet and one boom not installed while on the Downside three booms are missing (two of them obviously having nothing to which they could be attached on the Up side.

However catenary is then present over one section starting at the west end of Goring cutting and running as far as South Stoke on both Rellief Lines and on the Down Main.  Yet again this will be left isolated until other works are completed for the adjacent section in each direction - to teh east are the missing masts/booms in Goring cutting and to the west is Moulsford Bridge where installation of masts has now commenced but is not yet complete.

There are aslo several (2 or 3) booms missing at Cholsey station although masts are all now in place from Moulsford bridge right through to Didcot station with only c.5 (minimum, possibly 7) booms appearing to be missing between Cholsey station and Didcot station (exclusive) - the missing booms all ebing between Moreton Cutting and Didcot.

However the latter section (Moreton Cutting - Didcot) is one where progress at a decent pace is truly apparent - compare with previous observations as this shows hoe much might be possible in a fairly short time - albeit right next to the materials depot at Moreton Cutting.

Didcot station now appears to be complete in respect of all booms and only 2 are missing between there and Foxhall Jcn.

There are now approx 23 sets of masts (17 have booms) in position west of Foxhall Jcn but beyond Milton there is little sign of progress - nothing at all has happened in respect of mast bases from the A34 bridge to Steventon (Causeway Crossing) on the Up side athough there are some bases running eastwards from the end of the Down Relief on the Downside (but, again, none through from there to Causeway Crossing).  This is no doubt related to the debacle surrounding the overbridge (the old A34) at the east end of Steventon station site.

West of Causeway Crossing to Wantage Road (inclusive) total 3.25 miles there are now 41 masts erected on the Upside and 43 erected on the Downside with all bases appearing to be in place and ready.  From Wantage Road to Challow (inclusive), 3.75 miles there are 13 masts erected on the Upside and 32 on the Downside.  Work is clearly no in hand placing mast bases on the Downside at the site of Challow station but no apparent work on the Upside - which might be due to the lack of space between the rail edge and the boundary fence?

Most, if not all, mast bases now appear to be ready between Challow and Uffington (exclusive) although the situation at Uffington itself is vey mixed with a few bases in position over a very short distance on the Upside but nowhere near even over the extent of the former Up Loop and the Downside not even that advanced.

Installation of bases between Uffington (exclusive) and Knighton Crossing (site of), 2.5 miles is also very patchy with bases in for no more than a third of the distance on the Upside and slighty fewer on the Downside.  That this is a difficult area might be gathered from what appears to be a construction base at Knighton where a number of deep concrete pile reinforcement bar assemblies were visible on the ground.

There were no bases visible on the Upside between Knighton Crossing (site) and Ashbury Crossing (site on the Up side although some are present on the Downside.  Similarly between Ashbury and Shrivenham station site there are some bases present on the Upside although most if not all are in on the Downside.

Between Shrivenham and Marston Crossing East, 2 miles,  most bases appear to be in on both sides.  Between there and Highworth Branc Jcn there is some evidence of trial digs on both sides in the vicnity of the 76mp.

More to follow

Continuation

appraoching XSwindon there appear to be teh beginnings of an access point at swibndon Transfer just east of the training site.

A switchgera compound has now appeared in teh Vee of teh Gloucester line junction east of swindon station but then there is little sign of any activity on the Up side apart from some trial dig sites marked in the vicinity of Rushey Platt and again near Hay Lane.  there are a few bases near the M4 bridge but I don't think there are any new ones (and incidentally there is also the start of a slip on both sides in the cutting at approx the 80mp with some very clear signs of movement on the Up side and monitoring kit in place on both sides.

There is also a switchgear compound at Wootton Bassett and apart from some mast bases on Wootton Bassett Incline there is no sign of any other work thence to Chippenham.  On the Down side there are mast bases in evidence - but far from complete coverage - at various places between Dauntsey and Wootton Bassett  with some sites marked for trial digs further west.

Also noted that trial digs are well underway on both sides in the central part of Sonning Cutting and most mast bases are now in place on the Up side between Kennet Bridge and Sonning Sidings (site of) and Woodley Bridge and the start of the car park at Twyford.  There seems to have been little further visible progress with trial digs at Twyford station although a couple more sites are now marked out at the back of the Up Relief platform and there are what could be a couple of additional trial dig sites on the island platform.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I didn't notice the signals immediately west of Newport. We were on the relief lines and then crossed to the fasts west of the tunnels, and views were restricted. But east of the station as far as we went to reverse there were no new signals.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

They'll need to get the airbrush out to weather that ballast :yes:

Regards,

Dave

Don't worry - with the GWR fleet still having 'dump' toilets it won't take long for the more familiar brown look to establish itself :jester: