RMweb

• RMweb Gold

I hope they put a footbridge in - :) please

And now for the most pointless piece of work I've seen recently - went over the line at Culham a few weeks back. NR have erected ONE single mast on the west side of the line 100-150 yards south of the road bridge...............WHY, when the Oxford line is on hold until at least 2019/2020. Surely they have more important tasks for the resources required to do that in getting the line through Swindon completed

I just despair

Quite a lot of work had been done on the Oxford line in the past with mast base tubes sunk in various places and logically (unless you are a Civil Servant or Govt Minister) it would make considerable sense to extend the wires to Oxford which happens to have ample stabling for multiple units rather than terminate Class 387 workings at Didcot which has no sidings pace at all (yet) for stabling multiple units.  Alas just one more symptom of the hare-brained and totally amateurish manner in which this scheme has (not) been managed.

• RMweb Gold

Surely, unless there have been some recent developments I've missed, Oxford electrification is waiting until someome sorts out the design and finance for the new station. I can't see any point in installing something which will potentially have a short life. Perhaps the best thing would be to decide not to upgrade the station, and proceed with the electrification. There's certainly plenty of stabling North of the station and I'm sure the residents would prefer electrics to the constantly idling diesels curently in the sidings.

Dave

A solution to the Oxford problem proposed some time ago was to build a couple of dead end platforms on the car park on the Up side south of the Botley Road underbridge. This would require relatively minor track and signalling alterations, and would keep many of the terminating trains out of the through platforms, which is a major cause of delay. All seems to have gone quiet on this idea, however.

• RMweb Gold

Phew - not going ruin the photography down through Bedwyn etc then ............... at least the existing trees & bushes there can eventually be removed - (NR are you listening ??? )

Southernman46, have you got the money to remove it? The reason I ask is that neither NR nor the taxpayer has, so the focus is on removing vegetation from known low adhesion sites first, followed by clearance of the cess. Anything else will follow in the fullness of time.

• RMweb Gold

I hope they put a footbridge in - :) please

And now for the most pointless piece of work I've seen recently - went over the line at Culham a few weeks back. NR have erected ONE single mast on the west side of the line 100-150 yards south of the road bridge...............WHY, when the Oxford line is on hold until at least 2019/2020. Surely they have more important tasks for the resources required to do that in getting the line through Swindon completed

I just despair

Maybe there wasn't a possession anywhere else, the foundation had been put in place and the steelwork wasn't needed elsewhere. I would that particular piece of steel will last much longer than 2019/20.

A solution to the Oxford problem proposed some time ago was to build a couple of dead end platforms on the car park on the Up side south of the Botley Road underbridge. This would require relatively minor track and signalling alterations, and would keep many of the terminating trains out of the through platforms, which is a major cause of delay. All seems to have gone quiet on this idea, however.

Wasn't there a proposal by Chiltern [within the last six months] to change their current terminal platforms at Oxford into through platforms  [and thence passing through where the current ticket office and entry hall are] and then have that line continuing to pass through the UP side car park to serve Cowley and the Oxford Science park via Kennington Junction? If so, that would render any other use of the car park problematical. It would also significantly influence the form of any proposed rebuild of Oxford Station of course.

I'm not sure whether the East-West Rail link is supposed to have OHLE fitted [or whether that's been kicked into the long grass] but, if yes, then those extended Chiltern lines would also have to be wired presumably. 

Edited by ted675

There's as many ideas for sorting out Oxford as there are people to have them. I think the problem with the platform south of Botley road is that it's basically a very expensive bodge, and since then lots of ideas to actually fix the problem have come about. It really needs at least 4 proper through platforms.

I think that mast has been there for some considerable time, so before the decision that Oxford didn't warrant electrification, just get out and push when you reach Didcot.

There have been masts in around Appleford Crossing for some time, and foundation tubes in place in various other locations, but this mast by the Culham road bridge has appeared since July, so long after the decision to suspend work on the Oxford electrification

Quite a lot of work had been done on the Oxford line in the past with mast base tubes sunk in various places and logically (unless you are a Civil Servant or Govt Minister) it would make considerable sense to extend the wires to Oxford which happens to have ample stabling for multiple units rather than terminate Class 387 workings at Didcot which has no sidings pace at all (yet) for stabling multiple units.  Alas just one more symptom of the hare-brained and totally amateurish manner in which this scheme has (not) been managed.

Indeed - logical; but since when has sense had any part of this abortion of a project ?

Wasn't there a proposal by Chiltern [within the last six months] to change their current terminal platforms at Oxford into through platforms  [and thence passing through where the current ticket office and entry hall are] and then have that line continuing to pass through the UP side car park to serve Cowley and the Oxford Science park via Kennington Junction? If so, that would render any other use of the car park problematical. It would also significantly influence the form of any proposed rebuild of Oxford Station of course.

I'm not sure whether the East-West Rail link is supposed to have OHLE fitted [or whether that's been kicked into the long grass] but, if yes, then those extended Chiltern lines would also have to be wired presumably.

I think east west rail is being built to allow for electricity but is not having the masts installed.

So more bi mode trains for those services no doubt.

Hi,

While on the face of it, it would seem logical, the fact that the station is about to be totally rebuilt and re-signalled, with all the stabling sidings to ripped out and relayed, might not necessarily be the best option at this time.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

As far a I know wiring of East West Rail, has been kicked into the long grass but they are making passive provision for it to be installed at a later date.

Jamie

There's as many ideas for sorting out Oxford as there are people to have them. I think the problem with the platform south of Botley road is that it's basically a very expensive bodge, and since then lots of ideas to actually fix the problem have come about. It really needs at least 4 proper through platforms.

Actually, I'm not sure Oxford does need any more through platforms; The only passenger trains running through, each hour, are the two Cross-Country trains and one Worcester line service. What the station lacks (and always has) is terminal platforms for services from the south, avoiding the need to use the through platforms and the shunt via the carriage sidings north of the station (of course access to the sidings is still required, but only when sets are entering or leaving service). Three terminal platforms south of the Botley Road would manage with one express and two local trains each hour, and would eliminate the situation I have observed on countless occasions at Oxford, whereby a terminating train arrives in Platform 2 (now actually 4, but it will always be 2 to me !) and takes at least 5 minutes before it is ready to depart to the sidings, delaying the next Down train at the 'cemetery signal'. Given how long it takes to get anything done in Oxford, I think it will be a long time before we see a new station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having looked for Oxford updates, it seems some progress has been made.

http://www.njcommercial.co.uk/blog/2017/6/27/oxford-station-major-redevelopment-goes-out-to-consultation

Platforms extended across the Botley Road on a wider and longer bridge, with two new platform faces. The new up platform line seems to be created from the older existing bay line, although there is a suggestion elsewhere that this might not be done initially. It isn't shown in the Oxford Phase 1 diagram.

http://16cbgt3sbwr8204sf92da3xxc5m-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Oxford-Phase-1.pdf

I would hope that footings (at least) for masts would be put in during construction when/if anything happens. There is reference to OLE relating to the sidings north of the station. Perhaps this is just to keep the bimodes powered up without running the engines...

Thanks

Dave

Actually, I'm not sure Oxford does need any more through platforms; The only passenger trains running through, each hour, are the two Cross-Country trains and one Worcester line service. What the station lacks (and always has) is terminal platforms for services from the south, avoiding the need to use the through platforms and the shunt via the carriage sidings north of the station (of course access to the sidings is still required, but only when sets are entering or leaving service). Three terminal platforms south of the Botley Road would manage with one express and two local trains each hour, and would eliminate the situation I have observed on countless occasions at Oxford, whereby a terminating train arrives in Platform 2 (now actually 4, but it will always be 2 to me !) and takes at least 5 minutes before it is ready to depart to the sidings, delaying the next Down train at the 'cemetery signal'. Given how long it takes to get anything done in Oxford, I think it will be a long time before we see a new station.

Try catching trains there. From 7pm platform 4 has about six trains in half an hour, one of which is a wrong line Chiltern that's too long for the bay. You've forgotten the Banbury line trains and the inability of the layout to let fasts overtake slows except by looping the slow after it has left the station in each direction. Twin islands with a couple of bays at each end, as well as the through roads, would be about enough.

Try catching trains there. From 7pm platform 4 has about six trains in half an hour, one of which is a wrong line Chiltern that's too long for the bay. You've forgotten the Banbury line trains and the inability of the layout to let fasts overtake slows except by looping the slow after it has left the station in each direction. Twin islands with a couple of bays at each end, as well as the through roads, would be about enough.

I lived in Oxford from 1964 to 1984 and still visit on a regular basis (I was there last week), so I do know how the station works ! I did not include the Banbury locals because these are a) infrequent (every 2 hours, if not 3) and b) are not always through trains anyway. I have seen the plan for the new Oxford station and it looks wonderful, but I will only believe the all-singing, all-dancing new station when I see it; My concern is that by being over ambitious, and extremely expensive, not to mention disruptive, both to the railway and the city, the plan will never come to fruition. In the meantime the station continues to linger in a state of neglect while being utterly unsuitable, both in terms of capacity and as a gateway to a major tourist destination. And finally, the hiatus over the new station provides the perfect excuse for not electrifying it !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wiring to Oxford at the moment would require expensive alterations if/should/when the station is rebuilt into something more workable.

But would it?  It all depends on what 'shape' finally emerges for a rebuilt (again) Oxford and making a decision on that seems as far away as ever.  Basically the only overhead which might potentially be affected is in the immediate vicinity of Oxford station and possibly a few hundred yards either side of it - at the very most.  Nett result more 16X units released for elsewhere and better utilisation of the 387 fleet without even more spending on 'temporary' stabling points plus light 16X mileage to/from Reading for maintenance.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Well the 'big possession' which has shut the BGWML has been happening although I remain puzzled by what it is actually meant to be achieving outside the possibilities offered by normal possessions.

Yesterday afternoon the flyover was blessed with a total of six road-rail cherry pickers working at three different sites while another, plus a lorry, were working on the Down Relief at Reading West Junction while this morning all I could see from the road was a single cherry picker at the east end of Platform 15.  One line of the West (Oxford Road) Curve) still only has a catenary wire so if they'r powering up the head it will mean isolations just to get that completed.  No wonder the job is costing so much.

Biggest laugh of all comes from an NR press announcement or what could be a local paper's translation of it which tells us that the line will be shut between Reading and Didcot every Sunday from 24 September to 5 November 'to test the overhead power cables'  - these no doubt being the very cables used by Class 8XX and 387s on various test and training trips over past months.

Well the 'big possession' which has shut the BGWML has been happening although I remain puzzled by what it is actually meant to be achieving outside the possibilities offered by normal possessions.

Yesterday afternoon the flyover was blessed with a total of six road-rail cherry pickers working at three different sites while another, plus a lorry, were working on the Down Relief at Reading West Junction while this morning all I could see from the road was a single cherry picker at the east end of Platform 15.  One line of the West (Oxford Road) Curve) still only has a catenary wire so if they'r powering up the head it will mean isolations just to get that completed.  No wonder the job is costing so much.

Biggest laugh of all comes from an NR press announcement or what could be a local paper's translation of it which tells us that the line will be shut between Reading and Didcot every Sunday from 24 September to 5 November 'to test the overhead power cables'  - these no doubt being the very cables used by Class 8XX and 387s on various test and training trips over past months.

The possession this weekend is to get the wires from Maidenhead through to Tilehurst 'Live', so the people working would be doing the last few bits to get it all finished. The Sunday possessions are to test the system (presumably to test the isolation procedures etc without effecting the busy weekday period) along with dynamic tests during the week, before handing over to Driver training until December, with eventual service in January.

Simon

The possession this weekend is to get the wires from Maidenhead through to Tilehurst 'Live', so the people working would be doing the last few bits to get it all finished. The Sunday possessions are to test the system (presumably to test the isolation procedures etc without effecting the busy weekday period) along with dynamic tests during the week, before handing over to Driver training until December, with eventual service in January.

Simon

I suspect the "testing" has more to do with section proving, ie that what is up in the air does correspond electrically with the design and the isolation diagrams, and that the right circuit breakers/switches feed the right sections, particularly in and around the compexitied of the Reading area. There may also be similar work to be done between Reading and Didcot, as although Tilehurst to Didcot has been live and used for test train purposes, I am not certain that it was in its final electrical configuration. Operationally, as it was being used solely for testing, the whole lot could (and I think was, at one point) effectively treated as one electrical section, isolated en bloc as required.

Jim

Went past again on Sunday - what looked like a catenary post suitable to mount a heavy duty wind turbine on in July/August has now morphed into a new signal

• Like 3