I suspect the "testing" has more to do with section proving, ie that what is up in the air does correspond electrically with the design and the isolation diagrams, and that the right circuit breakers/switches feed the right sections, particularly in and around the compexitied of the Reading area. There may also be similar work to be done between Reading and Didcot, as although Tilehurst to Didcot has been live and used for test train purposes, I am not certain that it was in its final electrical configuration. Operationally, as it was being used solely for testing, the whole lot could (and I think was, at one point) effectively treated as one electrical section, isolated en bloc as required.

Jim

I was on duty in Glasgow Control one Sunday morning a few years ago when the wiring of Edinburgh Waverley was being extended in connection with the Airdrie/Bathgate project. The possession of the whole station overran for some time, stopping any trains running, because section proving was not complete; I'm not a technical expert but as Jim says I presume that before the area could be handed back to the operators, every part of the OLE and every switch had to be checked to ensure that each section was live when it was supposed to be live, and dead when it wasn't. Not much would appear to be happening on the ground but until it was done nothing could run.

Judging by whats being put up to carry the wires and signals there must be a worry that we are going to be experiencing hurricanes of Irma strength ,no wonder the costs are spiralling out of control .

I'm not going to rehash the discussion so I'll suggest you should go back and read the numerous posts in this very thread that answer that observation/complaint.

Interesting item on BBC South Today at Box  showing the electrification work a very good job and innovation used as well, followed by a piece about the 800,s and a item to camera saying what a shame they are bimode and not full electric.Last comment was we cant afford full electrification in UK due to cost ,(stop HS2 maybe and spend were it should be on the network) but at least it was positive about the tunnel work as it should be.I look forward to having a ride on an 800 as they look a very attractive train.

It was chipping sodbury.

The spin was rather unbelievable, the tunnel works are on programme and budget it said. The fact that the programme is 2 years late and the budget is £2bn more than allowance was not really mentioned though they did say the overall GWML was £1bn over budget (not sure how they've lost the other £1bn).

Not sure how HS2 and Chiltern Nimby rhetoric can have any relevance to the south west and its massive overspend

• RMweb Premium

It was chipping sodbury.

The spin was rather unbelievable, the tunnel works are on programme and budget it said. The fact that the programme is 2 years late and the budget is £2bn more than allowance was not really mentioned though they did say the overall GWML was £1bn over budget (not sure how they've lost the other £1bn).

Not sure how HS2 and Chiltern Nimby rhetoric can have any relevance to the south west and its massive overspend

Quite

Cancelling HS2 still leaves a problem that needs resolving (at a far grater cost than the HS2 option when you actually bother to examine the specifics closely) so any cancellation actually represents an overall decrease in railway investment in the country as the money freed up will simply not buy the capacity increases HS2 does on the classic network.

True the GWML overspend has in some respects forced that cancellation / postponement of other schemes as the Government tries to plug the funding gap, but sacrificing something as vital as HS2 to make up the shortfall would be a terrible display of short termism and bad planning - something that has bedevilled this country transport infrastructure (of all types) for decades (or whole indeed generations)

• Like 1

From Chiltern nimby, only caught the tail end of news item it still is a good bit of rail engineering and should have been promoted,the overspend on GWR has repurcushions throughout the network in that money is not available for essential works ie.  cross pennine wires.The overspend will be felt for many years to come Roger Ford in his article on next NR planning said that there is a lack of spending on new projects.Not a good prospect for the future of our railways?

From Chiltern nimby, only caught the tail end of news item it still is a good bit of rail engineering and should have been promoted,the overspend on GWR has repurcushions throughout the network in that money is not available for essential works ie.  cross pennine wires.The overspend will be felt for many years to come Roger Ford in his article on next NR planning said that there is a lack of spending on new projects.Not a good prospect for the future of our railways?

Precisely! Do you honestly believe that if HS2 was cancelled - tomorrow, say - the freed-up funds would be reallocated to rail improvements, given that the government doesn't really believe in governing?

Hi.

Just seen that there is planned to be 6 test trains of various sorts between Reading Depot and Didcot today, in fact there were 2 between Tilehurst and Cholsey about 10 minutes ago!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 2

Judging by whats being put up to carry the wires and signals there must be a worry that we are going to be experiencing hurricanes of Irma strength ,no wonder the costs are spiralling out of control .

Slightly off topic but couldn't help noticing the 'chunky' nature of some of the new (replacement) gantries at Shenfield on my way to the Mid Essex Exhibition on Saturday.

Its not even as if there is a requirement there for IEP's to run in multiple at over 125mph.

Slightly off topic but couldn't help noticing the 'chunky' nature of some of the new (replacement) gantries at Shenfield on my way to the Mid Essex Exhibition on Saturday.

Its not even as if there is a requirement there for IEP's to run in multiple at over 125mph.

An effort to standardise OLE equipment, so all Main Lines (100mph+) will get the Series 1 (GWML) stuff, whilst lower speed lines will get Series 2 stuff when renewal or replacement is needed, see the new track they are installing on ECML

Although there isn't currently a requirement to run 125mph+ with multiple pans, there might be in the future, thus the new OLE will give passive provision.

I think the 'over-designed' debate should end here, I think we've done it to death.

Simon

An effort to standardise OLE equipment, so all Main Lines (100mph+) will get the Series 1 (GWML) stuff, whilst lower speed lines will get Series 2 stuff when renewal or replacement is needed, see the new track they are installing on ECML

Although there isn't currently a requirement to run 125mph+ with multiple pans, there might be in the future, thus the new OLE will give passive provision.

I think the 'over-designed' debate should end here, I think we've done it to death.

Simon

https://www.ukconstructionmedia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Shenfield-set-for-new-trains-following-work-completion-1024x682.jpg

Not sure if terminating Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) trains will be running at 125mph+.

Edited by jonathan452

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ukconstructionmedia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Shenfield-set-for-new-trains-following-work-completion-1024x682.jpg

Not sure if terminating Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) trains will be running at 125mph+.

But some trains will be running at 100mph - that is, I presume (reference also Simon's post) will still be the dividing line as it has long been the case that 100mph linespeed = 'high speed line'.

Incidentally some of these new (Series 1) structures were present, and in use, on the GEML back in 2014.

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

Just seen that there is planned to be 6 test trains of various sorts between Reading Depot and Didcot today, in fact there were 2 between Tilehurst and Cholsey about 10 minutes ago!

Simon

Not been running anything between the TCD and Didcot at all, (or if they have been running they just haven't come on Depot!) Two IET sets are normally on the depot between 1130 - 1600 (Ish) but are mainly for static driver training or coupling/uncoupling (today was 800008 & 009). There have been other sets moving around today, saw 800001 & 002 on the Up Passenger Loop at one stage.

Not been running anything between the TCD and Didcot at all, (or if they have been running they just haven't come on Depot!) Two IET sets are normally on the depot between 1130 - 1600 (Ish) but are mainly for static driver training or coupling/uncoupling (today was 800008 & 009). There have been other sets moving around today, saw 800001 & 002 on the Up Passenger Loop at one stage.

I think they may have been just going into the reception roads and turning back, as I watched 3X14 & 3X15 on the signallers screens, and they defiantly ran up into the Western reception roads (they disappear from the TVSC screens at that point, so I didn't know where they went from there), they weren't there long, probably 45 minutes at most.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I think they may have been just going into the reception roads and turning back, as I watched 3X14 & 3X15 on the signallers screens, and they defiantly ran up into the Western reception roads (they disappear from the TVSC screens at that point, so I didn't know where they went from there), they weren't there long, probably 45 minutes at most.

Simon

3X14 & 15 are the two that stable on the TCD for Driver Training as mentioned above, they depart in the afternoon as 3X16 (1600 ECS Newport) and 3X07 (1607 ECS Gloucester).

Paths are in the system for:

3X50 TCD - PAD

3X13 TCD - DID

3X15 TCD - DID West End

3X47 TCD - DID West End

(and their corresponding back workings)

These haven't been running all week.

The ones that reverse on the UPL are running between 'Scours Lane' and Southall and are running as 5Xxx.

Edited by Banger Blue

Got a glimpse of a white IET arriving at Newport from the East as I was leaving for London around 5.10pm today, I'm guessing that was 3X16? Also a couple (White, Green) at Stoke Gifford TCD nr Bristol Parkway, sadly again didn't get the numbers.

Apologies if it's already common knowledge, but do we know a rough date when IETs will begin to be allocated to timetabled services, other than 'end of year'?

Tx,

Alan

Just be back and fore to Penarth, though by car this time; I went down by train about two weeks ago. There seems to have been quite a bit of progress west of Wootton Bassett, presumably because the Bristol Parkway closure means they have a virtually open window for working. Can anyone say how much of this route has been done?

• 2 weeks later...

I did promise some pictures of the electrification round here, I've finally got arround to it. The first few are Thingley, the rest Langley Burrell and just east of there at Maud Heath's Causeway. Presumably the masts at Thingley are the furthest west we'll see them for a while on this route.

post-6899-0-59953200-1507372229_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-84679200-1507372238_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-93178500-1507372189_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-10575800-1507372218_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-48417300-1507372198_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-47279300-1507372207_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-13308200-1507372248_thumb.jpg

Jo

• Like 6