I believe that the author did some alternative proposals for how to electrify the Oxted branch and suggested EMU's with batteries for the last bit and a solar array near the stabling sidings with a battery bank that then recharged the trains overnight. I can't remember which magazine the article was in however.

Jamie

Probably no more ludicrous than Chris Gibb's recommendation

While it's not of much use to the GWML its surely still worth looking at.  Hundreds of miles of railways are powered by DC whether it is LUL and Southern territory or metro systems futher north.  We probably can't power the entire network but if it can knock 5% off NR's electric bill (and 5% off the weedkiller bill) its worth a look.

Previous discussion

We really need a test case in court to go in NR's favour so they can overide objections from villages like Steventon.  Ask them if they would like a new bridge because the old one is coming down and the crossings are closing.  If it was a road scheme or an airport they would just have to put up with it.

• RMweb Gold

Many railway lines run through areas with great potential for solar power.

I think we should be told where they are in the UK so we can book our package holidays.

I think we could start by excluding Balcombe - where the railway runs through a tunnel over 1,100 yards long and which no doubt doesn't get much sunlight either.

• RMweb Premium

Something that is quite eye opening is to calculate the amount of liquid fuel that a given industry uses and then work out the amount of wind capacity that would be needed to make clean hydrogen, or the quantity of material needed to make biofuel or the area of solar units you'd need to decarbonise it and then compare it to what we currently have. I did it for shipping and it puts a lot of things into perspective. Which isn't to say I'm not all up for low carbon alternatives (I am), but it gives you a reality check.

Quite, answers on a postcard to DafT and NR on how that can be done without bankrupting the country. It's a pretty sorry saga really.

It is because of the aforementioned DaFT and to a lesser extent NR that we are where we are, if DaFT had listened to what people were telling them much earlier on we wouldnt be in this mess.

Telling NR to start electrifying 100s of miles of track with no notice to get people recruited and trained was only going to end one way.

What was achieved then is impossible today due to the restrictive operating practices and 'modern' signalling systems.

Believe it or not they have had to rewrite the rulebook to make the new signalling at Bristol Temple Meads compliant because the new signalling wasn't going to be compliant with the old one, this is new signalling which all operating staff think is stupidly slow and will actually increase operating incidents but what do we know.

Edited by royaloak

What was achieved then is impossible today due to the restrictive operating practices and 'modern' signalling systems.

Believe it or not they have had to rewrite the rulebook to make the new signalling at Bristol Temple Meads compliant because the new signalling wasn't going to be compliant with the old one, this is new signalling which all operating staff think is stupidly slow and will actually increase operating incidents but what do we know.

Similar issues at New St.  If it is re-signalled to modern standards then you halve the capacity.  Needless to say creative interpretations of the standards are being employed to get round this.

It is fascinating to watch "moderns standards" being cited as a reason why traction changes can't be done in "Bournemouth REP/TC/33" style efficiency and yet when those self same standards would potentially cripple the train service as at Bristol TM and New St then they (or the rule book) get fudged.  What a way to run a railway as someone once said.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Similar issues at New St.  If it is re-signalled to modern standards then you halve the capacity.  Needless to say creative interpretations of the standards are being employed to get round this.

It is fascinating to watch "moderns standards" being cited as a reason why traction changes can't be done in "Bournemouth REP/TC/33" style efficiency and yet when those self same standards would potentially cripple the train service as at Bristol TM and New St then they (or the rule book) get fudged.  What a way to run a railway as someone once said.

As Temple Meads hasn't complied with normal standards ever since it was resignalled over 40 years ago, and as Reading could be said also to not comply (because it is effectively signalled in exactly the same way as Temple Meads was 40+ years ago) I can't really see what the problem is beyond 'obstructionism' from those of very limited brain power and considerable lack of experience.

For those not familiar with either station - in both cases the platforms are artificially divided into two sections by marker/stop marker boards and an approaching train receives either a main aspect to indicate the platform is clear to the signal at the far end or it receives a sub indication which indicates that a train may only proceed as far as the relevant stop marker.  in many respects the latter is very similar to running in on a subsidiary to an occupied platforms but in the case of both Bristol and Reading there is a physical mark to limit the extent of the movement authorised by the subsidiary.  I am certain that a quantitive risk assessment - which has masses of real data to draw on - would indicate that this method of working has relatively little potential for collisions even when compared with a similar assessment of locations where no marker is provided.

The modern NR railway really needs to grow a pair.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Temple Meads hasn't complied with normal standards ever since it was resignalled over 40 years ago, and as Reading could be said also to not comply (because it is effectively signalled in exactly the same way as Temple Meads was 40+ years ago) I can't really see what the problem is beyond 'obstructionism' from those of very limited brain power and considerable lack of experience.

For those not familiar with either station - in both cases the platforms are artificially divided into two sections by marker/stop marker boards and an approaching train receives either a main aspect to indicate the platform is clear to the signal at the far end or it receives a sub indication which indicates that a train may only proceed as far as the relevant stop marker.  in many respects the latter is very similar to running in on a subsidiary to an occupied platforms but in the case of both Bristol and Reading there is a physical mark to limit the extent of the movement authorised by the subsidiary.  I am certain that a quantitive risk assessment - which has masses of real data to draw on - would indicate that this method of working has relatively little potential for collisions even when compared with a similar assessment of locations where no marker is provided.

I didn't know about Reading. What do the marker boards look like? (I'm familiar with the big "X"'s used in Bristol).

I thought in Bristol that the indication of whether the board could be passed or not was just the platform number in a theatre indicator and I can see why that might be considered unsafe.

But if a "calling on" signal is used to indicate that the train needs to stop short of the marker I'm struggling to see how that's any worse than where trains enter an occupied platform without such a board.

Even if the driver misses the board, they are presumably driving slowly enough to stop before they hit whatever is in the other half of the platform.

What I assume the marker boards to be at Reading are white circles with a black triangle on it.

How that kind of thing can be outside standards is absolutely staggering. Working trains into occupied platforms is not exactly going to go away, and is in fact crucial to the operation of the railway.

Hi,

With regards to compliance with 'Modern' Standards on Resignalling Schemes, there is still a lot that can be done to get around issues, with derogations, but there is a point at which it comes up against a wall which you can get past.

Frequently Resignalling schemes that are fully compliant are taken to the approval panel and are then asked to make lots of changes to make the schemes much more operator friendly using derogations against standard.

However, anything that is deemed unsafe in terms of non-compliance is not accepted.

Simon

The modern NR railway really needs to grow a pair.

Hi Mike,

As far as I understand it the Rear Clear Markers at Reading aren't considered an end of movement authority the same way as the Crosses at Temple Meads, with trains being signalled either upto the relevant starting signal (for a main aspect) or as far as the driver can see if calling on. It is upto the train driver whether they use the RCM's or not. I would say that the provision of the RCM's is more to do with not using up more than the necessary platform length (by drivers over estimating the length of their train), rather than to prevent an actual risk (although this would of been thought about).

None of which isn't compliant, just falling out of favour with TOC's.

Simon

If the derogations have to be used to make the signalling operator friendly without it affecting safety then the "standards" are clearly wrong in the first place. Glad I'm out of it now.

Regards

That's not quite what I meant, I mean that additional operational features (above those asked for, as otherwise, they wouldn't even get to the approval panel) would be gained if some derogations are applied for.

If the scheme does meet the operational specification laid down by ops, then it doesn't even get past a document review by the project engineer,

Simon