Bachmann Collectors Club - Royal Train Staff Sleeping Car

Andy Y

I see the Royal Train sleeping car is now available to buy on the Bachmann Collectors' Club website. I shall collect mine in the UK next week. With a bit of luck Bachmann will bring out some other suitable coaches to go with it.

Just ordered mine online,I'm sure these will be popular and with a limited run of 504 models will soon sell out.

The road vehicle mentioned above is an EFE model, of a BET Leyland Leopard in the livery of Todmorden Joint Omnibus Committee,the destination reads 'Rail Replacement Service' and carries advertisments for 'Rail Closures'

I don't know that there is any logic to it but 504 units seems to be the Chinese factories base line.  Certainly back in the early 90s when I was working for Britains all our sets had to be ordered at 504 units.

504, 1008 or 1512, etc., etc., was possible of course and it was always useful with 1000 piece limited edition sets to have a few spares to replace those damaged in transit.

If you wanted a re-order it was back to the minimum 504 again, which is probably why Model Railway firms are reluctant to re-run items unless they are really sure of selling them.  Plus of course, like the SECR and L&Y locos produced recently, it does no harm to make customers think, "Must get that now before it sells out!" 

My coach arrived today,it is interesting that if the certificates included are issued in order from 1 to 504 (mine is 340) that the model appears to be selling well considering  it has only been available for a couple of weeks.

It's got something to do with the number of individual boxes that fit into the bigger boxes into which the models are packed in the factory - multiples of six IIRC.

Yup, the carton is made up of 6 items and there must be a stack of 7 cartons deep, 6 cartons wide and 2 cartons deep to make up the outer pack/pallet of 84.

I don't think it has anything to do with carton size.  We, with Britains, had sets which varied in size from 10" x 4" x 2" through several other varied dimensions and sizes to 18" x 12" x 3".  The factory orders were still 504 units per set, or multiples of the same.

Archived