861 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Interesting we have all been thinking about 6 wheel coaches. I wonder what that means?

We are cheapskates when it comes to buying styrene ;-)

Here's that Cleminson file I was talking about. It's just a few things that I'm trying out. The bases for each axle are on the right, and there are three laminations for each. The ones with two circular holes are to test the difference between having the pivot on one edge or in the middle of the axle.

Thank you for this.

JCL, on 29 Dec 2013 - 20:44, said:

"Interesting we have all been thinking about 6 wheel coaches. I wonder what that means?"

In my case, it's the wish for something different ..... though this thread may change that :)

6-wheels have been a no-no for RTR because of the problem of getting them round curves.  They're also a pre-grouping topic, which has usually been the preserve of scratch-builders.  Now the 'Silhouette' and similar machines look as though they will open up the field for 19th century panelled coaches.  I'm about to have a go - see my blog at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1405-mikeoxons-pre-grouping-blog/

Mike

Edited by MikeOxon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are cheapskates when it comes to buying styrene ;-)

Thank you for this.

You could be right there. I think I've worked through a number of problems and mistakes on the passenger brake that would have been much more expensive on a larger carriage.

I'm looking forward to see what you are going to come up with MikeOxon. :)

Just one small point about 'wonky' sides etc.:  It still seems prudent to add 0.5mm venting holes in each layer pitched at 10mm - though obviously not the outer ones!  Without such holes, distortions in the laminated sides will occur.  The more time the solvent spends in contact with the plastic the more damage it will do!

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just one small point about 'wonky' sides etc.:  It still seems prudent to add 0.5mm venting holes in each layer pitched at 10mm - though obviously not the outer ones!  Without such holes, distortions in the laminated sides will occur.  The more time the solvent spends in contact with the plastic the more damage it will do!

Colin

Colin, what would you recommend for the layout of these holes? Should they end up being able to vent to the outside when all the layers are together?

Andy G

(who will add them to the artwork for the next attempt!)

• RMweb Gold

It's on my 'to do' list.  It ought to be very useful for complex shapes, like cab sides, which are very awkward to cut out by hand.

(Disclaimer, I'm ignorant about this sort of thing and about to show it) but I was thinking about this the other day while walking the dog. Would it make using white transfer paper easier to use if you could accurately cut out the shapes? I'm thinking of, say, GNR tender lining with the centre filled in that is cut to the outside edge of the lining that would be applied to a tender painted in solid green?

(Disclaimer, I'm ignorant about this sort of thing and about to show it) but I was thinking about this the other day while walking the dog. Would it make using white transfer paper easier to use if you could accurately cut out the shapes? I'm thinking of, say, GNR tender lining with the centre filled in that is cut to the outside edge of the lining that would be applied to a tender painted in solid green?

At present, I always print a border around the lining, in a colour as close as I can make it to the body colour.  I think I will continue to do this when using a cutter, since any trace of white edge would be very visible.  No problem with white-edged lining (e.g. Southern) of course!  There can be a problem of water seepage at the edges of the transfer, which is another reason not to cut too close to the edge.

I don't think I'm normally given to bursts of over-enthusiasm but I've just given my new 'Portrait' cutter an initial test - just drawing with a biro.  I loaded a scanned image (jpeg) of a drawing from a book, then used the 'Trace' command in the 'Studio' software to create a vector drawing, automatically, which I simply drew! 

post-19820-0-06022400-1388427874.jpg

I could not have believed it could be so easy. Of course, this particular drawing was not designed for cutting but the potential seems enormous :)

Mike

• Like 5

I don't think I'm normally given to bursts of over-enthusiasm but I've just given my new 'Portrait' cutter an initial test - just drawing with a biro.  I loaded a scanned image (jpeg) of a drawing from a book, then used the 'Trace' command in the 'Studio' software to create a vector drawing, automatically, which I simply drew! 

attachicon.gifSilhouette1stTest.jpg

I could not have believed it could be so easy. Of course, this particular drawing was not designed for cutting but the potential seems enormous :)

Mike

Well Mike, that is interesting! 

It had been on my mind to ask if these machines could work from scale drawings scanned and suitably edited. 

All the best,

Colin

In the interest of further experimentation I have had a go at producing W-Irons, springs and axleboxes for my 4mm coach using the Silhouette. Oh boy, you need good eyesight (which I don't have).

Aligning the various 10thou laminations continues to be difficult so I have tried using a length of aluminium angle propped up on Blutack as seen here:

post-3717-0-32326600-1388436155_thumb.jpg

After laminating (and still having issues with alignment, but bear in mind this is only 28mm across the spring tips). The W-Iron is 3 laminations, the spring and backing of the axlebox forms another, 4 further laminations of spring, 5 for the axlebox and one box cover:

post-3717-0-73734000-1388436437_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-98988400-1388436454_thumb.jpg

1 down, 5 to go. Hope you are not in a rush ;-)

Edit: Added photo of individual components before lamination:

post-3717-0-71273100-1388439461_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Well Mike, that is interesting! 

It had been on my mind to ask if these machines could work from scale drawings scanned and suitably edited. 

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin

If you're going to use one of these machines, the standard of workmanship can only go further up than it is already. Does this also mean the move to S4 is put on hold while you have a play?

Happy New Year.

SS

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSilhouette1stTest.jpg

Mike

Hi Mike

Do you have any plans to experiment, using the cutter instead of the pen? I for one would be interested to see what the outcome would be as I have plans for several coaches when I get roundtuit.

Happy New Year.

SS

• RMweb Premium

In the interest of further experimentation I have had a go at producing W-Irons, springs and axleboxes for my 4mm coach using the Silhouette. Oh boy, you need good eyesight (which I don't have).

Aligning the various 10thou laminations continues to be difficult so I have tried using a length of aluminium angle propped up on Blutack as seen here:

attachicon.gifIMG_4630.JPG

After laminating (and still having issues with alignment, but bear in mind this is only 28mm across the spring tips). The W-Iron is 3 laminations, the spring and backing of the axlebox forms another, 4 further laminations of spring, 5 for the axlebox and one box cover:

attachicon.gifIMG_4633.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4636.JPG

Hi Mike

You are most definitely pushing the boundaries of what this machine is capable of. Do you plan to use these W irons and axleboxes or will they be cosmetic only  and use brass W irons a bearings?

Happy New Year.

SS

Hi Mike

Do you have any plans to experiment, using the cutter instead of the pen? I for one would be interested to see what the outcome would be as I have plans for several coaches when I get roundtuit.

Happy New Year.

SS

I have loads of plans! - The problem is trying to decide where to begin.  I've been doing a lot of reading and learned a fantastic amount from this thread :)

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_4630.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4633.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4636.JPG

Edit: Added photo of individual components before lamination:

attachicon.gifIMG_4641.JPG

Hi Mike,

Just a thought, but could you push a nail the same diameter as the axle hole through some card or hardboard, hook a w-iron layer over it, then offer your aluminium up to the top of the w-iron and clamp it down? You could have the springs and axle boxes joined on all of the layers except for the top one. The only layer then that can't be glued over the nail would be the top one on the axle box.

Cheers

Jason

Edited to say cross post, sorry.

Edited by JCL

Hi Mike,

"Aligning the various 10thou laminations continues to be difficult"

Have you thought of cutting the springs as per the prototype? It would need some kind of former, but I can't see that being more difficult than the other way.

Neil

Hi all,

I joined RMweb because of this tread.

The solution for alignment is making frames around the parts with holes or other marks in it and put pins in the holes for assembly.

See how our lasercutters from Germany did this:

http://www.finescale-und-mehr.de/uploads/IMGP4018.JPG

If you have time left there is a very long tread (239 pages in 4 years) on a French train forum about these die cutters with lots of examples.

http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26005

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ed, thanks so much for posting the link. I only gave school French, but the pictures tell a thousand words. There's a lot of inspiration in the pages - trams, leaves, clothes on lines, page 42 has a great vine on a building. That'll keep me busy for a while.

Cheers

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a website that I picked up from Ed's link. They seem to use a modified cutter holder to house blades as an alternative to the Silhouette blade and the CB09 that we've been talking about. Not a good website, but someone might find it an interesting alternative.

http://clickbladeholders.blogspot.ca/

I will probably use MJT internal compensating units so these will be cosmetic.

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2290.php

Breaking news - when asked about wagon compensation units, top modelling guru Mike Trice (47) says he uses MJT units. Readers of the influential modelling forum RMWeb would have been shocked at this shameless piece of self-promotion and, when asked. rival supplier and guru, Bill Bedford (29) said "I do those too".  Andy York (87) influential head of the influential forum said "What? Oh! Him!"  

Elsewhere on the influential forum an area of bottle-brush trees forming a scenic break has been subject to an outbreak of ursine defecation. 

I came across this blog (don't be put off by the title) which is UK-based:-

http://ramblingsofababymakingaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/replacement-blades-for-silhouette-cameo.html

http://ramblingsofababymakingaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/silhouette-cameo-blades-update.html

although it seems cutting depth cannot be set except by eye.