Pure nostalgia, 10 minutes of Grayrigg & Shap- 1950's.

• RMweb Gold

Mosedale Hall Crossing box which was the next box South of Grayrigg shut in 1967, the first clip at around 00:40 shows the up loop (LNWR to the end) and up main starting signals with the inner distant for Mosedale Hall removed, so the date is post April 1967 / 1968

The short clip at 2:10 shows the IBs which replaced Low Gill box in 1967 (iirc) confirming 1967 / 1968

Trivia

At 3:47, 4:14, 4:58, and 5:21 there is a structure to the left of the track, this is the long closed Dillicar Sand Siding signal box - closed ? 1930s ? - I'll check tomorrow.

At 5:14 Tebay No.1 down home can be seen through the steam, with Tebay No.2 outer distant both showing off - "a double peg" - which presumably means the train will tackle Shap bank without a banker.

At 5:57 the levers for the down signals in Tebay No.1 are visible, reversed, the distant has the top of the lever removed meaning it's a colour light (could be motor worked, but I know it's a colour light by this time)

At 6:17 / 6:18 the signalman magically goes from replacing the down signals to replacing the up signals !

At 8:07 we get a glimpse of the BR Tebay No.2 box, the base of this box still survives as a relay room for Carlisle Power Box. I own the final illuminated diagram from here.

Sorry - this is one of my favourite stretches of line.

• RMweb Gold

I'm a diesel and electric man through and through so this is probably a simple question but why does the loco exhaust always seem to have one much stronger beat and then three lesser ones?

Andi 

• RMweb Premium

I'm a diesel and electric man through and through so this is probably a simple question but why does the loco exhaust always seem to have one much stronger beat and then three lesser ones?

Andi 

Im a diesel man too but il have a stab in the dark at answering the question.

The steam enters the cylinders at the front of the cylinder forcing the piston towards the back.  this is then exhausted up the funnel to give one note. The valve chest then opens a port at the back of the piston / cylinder so forcing the piston forward and this then exits via the funnel again, maybe this is the cause of two differing exhaust notes.

Mosedale Hall Crossing box which was the next box South of Grayrigg shut in 1967, the first clip at around 00:40 shows the up loop (LNWR to the end) and up main starting signals with the inner distant for Mosedale Hall removed, so the date is post April 1967 ...

... and 70016, which appears in the video, was withdrawn in August 1967. So, assuming it was all shot at the same time, it's between April 1967 and August 1967.

(Certainly not into 1968, as Kingmoor was closed at the end of December 1967 and all the remaining Brits, except 70013, withdrawn at that time.) 

• RMweb Gold

Im a diesel man too but il have a stab in the dark at answering the question.

The steam enters the cylinders at the front of the cylinder forcing the piston towards the back.  this is then exhausted up the funnel to give one note. The valve chest then opens a port at the back of the piston / cylinder so forcing the piston forward and this then exits via the funnel again, maybe this is the cause of two differing exhaust notes.

I would then expect the two different chuffs to come in pairs, chuff-chuff-CHUFF-CHUFF as the two cylinders do the same thing a quarter of a rotation out, but what you get on the video is very much CHUFF-chuff-chuff-chuff...

Andi

In  steam  days  it  was  usual  to  have  a  slight  unevenness  in  the  beat.  Absolute  precision  in  the  valve  setting  was  quite  difficult  to  achieve,  so  you   would  get  one  two  three  four  or  one  two  three  four  five  six.  It  was  an  easy  way  of  distinguishing  aurally  between  a  two  cylinder  or  a  three  cylinder  engine  (which  from  my  bedroom  meant  an  LMS  Jubilee / Black  five,  or  an  LNER  A3 / V2).  Interestingly  it  seems  to  me  that  the  various  preserved  steam  locos  nearly  always  run  very  evenly;  I  suspect  this  may  reflect  the  greater  time  available  to  get  the  settings  just  right. 

I  once  travelled  from  Edinburgh  to  Perth  behind  A3  60043  Brown  Jack  which  sounded one  two  three  blank  blank  six -- something  seriously  wrong,  and  she  had  to  take  water  at  Dunfermline  and  Kinross.  But  I  returned  to  Edinburgh  next  morning  behind  the  same  loco  running  like  a  sewing  machine.  Some  smart  work  by  the  fitting  staff  at  Perth.  Usually  Haymarket  Locos  were  prepared  and  maintained  to  a  high  standard,  but  something  had  obviously  gone  wrong  here.

Archived