Simond

Thanks both, I think I need to improve my technique.  I did do the “cut long and file back” but it didn’t end well.  I think there’s another variable at play, the MDF itself seems to vary, perhaps humidity makes a difference.

not going to lose any sleep over it, anyway!

keep well

Simon

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 23:03, 2ManySpams said:

Well generally the Ratio kits are based on some prototype, normally GWR biased, and the similarities between the Didcot hoist and the ratio kit seemed too close to be a coincidence. Who knows, could be worth looking at. 

the Ratio one is, according to the Peco website, based on the one at Laira, and that suggests that it’s probably a faithful model - the downside of this approach is that it’s £25!   It’s certainly a fall back option, but if possible I’d rather give my 25 quid to a museum, and make my own compromises on the modelling.  Let’s see if the NRM get back to me.  I’ll drop Didcot another line as well just in case the first went astray.

thanks again

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

On 24/04/2020 at 17:48, Simond said:

Some gratuitous photos, ‘cos it’s POETS day

I always admire these overview shots Simon, a great study of the GWR of that period. 

22 hours ago, Simond said:

a couple of fog huts

image.jpg.b1006f6dbcf18edb0a4a1bd5b303b059.jpg

Can I ask if those are scratchbuilt or kits? They don't seem to be the Rail Model ones.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mikkel,

image.jpg.cf46817a7d249b5367dec874ee0f9e2b.jpg

they’re sort-of kits :)

I drew the cad files from the print in GWRJ, and laser cut them.  I made up two cad files, one for the MDF bits and one for the corn flake packet.  I can get 10 sets on each A4 sheet which is the biggest my laser will cut.

i bagged up a few sets to drop with pals on my way to work tomorrow, they need something to do in lockdown!

Atb

Simon

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 22:09, Simond said:

they’re sort-of kits :)

I drew the cad files from the print in GWRJ, and laser cut them.  I made up two cad files, one for the MDF bits and one for the corn flake packet.  I can get 10 sets on each A4 sheet which is the biggest my laser will cut.

i bagged up a few sets to drop with pals on my way to work tomorrow, they need something to do in lockdown!

Atb

Simon

Very nice. And resource saving too, cereal packet and all. Ten sets per A4 sheet is a lot of fog huts! 

• Like 3

Thanks Mikkel

I have no need of 10 fog huts, but having done them, it seemed silly not to save the artwork as a full sheet.  I might donate a couple of sheets to the local club as they let us play on their layouts from time to time.  They can sell them at the exhibition (assuming it happens - fingers crossed!)   It takes far longer to bag the bits than to cut them!

Might have a go at a platelayer's hut next.

atb

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The GWR had some attractive smallish non-standard wooden structures that appear here and there in photos. There are two on the left hand side in this view of Bristol Temple Meads, one of which is a cartage office. A decade before your period. Note also inset track BTW.

gettyimages-90779864-2048x2048.jpg.773ad826eff5f4ea8b1ba442c3f04081.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads, 12 March 1924. Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Yes, so much detail in that photo. Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread, just posted it in case you were looking for other small wooden stuctures to cut at some point. Although I suppose it could be argued that there weren't many such non-standard stuctures left by the 1930s. 

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Returning to the engine hoist discussion, I found a drawing in the Lyons book, which is at something like Z scale, which I tentatively scaled up, and lasered out of MDF.  MDF is not a traditional crane building material but it’ll suffice for a mock-up.  There’s quite a bit more detail to add, but the size & shape are representative.  

Miss P suggested that such a crane might be a bit overwhelming - I don’t think it is, but I would be interested in others’ comments.

image.jpg.8c88e28ef725c1be35be64f778dc57a3.jpg

image.jpg.9481c12292fd2cf790d8587cf3f74562.jpg

I certainly wouldn’t want to engage in proper metalwork (which is absolutely what would be needed to do the thing justice) based on such tentative dimensional data, but about 20 pence worth of MDF seems like a good investment.

thoughts and comments very welcome as always

keep well!

Simon

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it's the perspective of the wide angle lens but looks considerably more dominant in the first picture than the second! From the side angle, I think you could get away with more solid if needed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It does look rather large in the first picture, but it is at the back of the shed and is the size it should be, so from the front it should be fine.  The side view is also fine.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon,

Id fall in line and agree too.  To be honest, it looks (to be at least) as if it belongs there and improves the surroundings of that end of the shed.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

looking at that photo this morning makes me think that a retaining wall or something similar is required at that end of the layout.  It would provide a reasonable excuse for the rather short shed and stubs.

that’ll be a challenge to do with the laser!

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 22:25, Simond said:

Returning to the engine hoist discussion, I found a drawing in the Lyons book, which is at something like Z scale, which I tentatively scaled up, and lasered out of MDF.  MDF is not a traditional crane building material but it’ll suffice for a mock-up.  There’s quite a bit more detail to add, but the size & shape are representative.  

Miss P suggested that such a crane might be a bit overwhelming - I don’t think it is, but I would be interested in others’ comments.

image.jpg.8c88e28ef725c1be35be64f778dc57a3.jpg

image.jpg.9481c12292fd2cf790d8587cf3f74562.jpg

I certainly wouldn’t want to engage in proper metalwork (which is absolutely what would be needed to do the thing justice) based on such tentative dimensional data, but about 20 pence worth of MDF seems like a good investment.

thoughts and comments very welcome as always

keep well!

Simon

Looks fine to me Simon, in scale with the shed and green choo choos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Simond said:

looking at that photo this morning makes me think that a retaining wall or something similar is required at that end of the layout.  It would provide a reasonable excuse for the rather short shed and stubs.

that’ll be a challenge to do with the laser!

atb

Simon

Probably just a boundary wall Simon, could be a pretend road on the other side curtailing the shed site...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1