Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Gresley Beat on the road

Greengiant

• RMweb Gold

An absolutely stunning piece of work at I'm looking forward to seeing it again at Stafford.Teamwork abounds with quality stock,scenics and Geoff Taylors buildings.It can't lose.Wish I had room for those fiddle yards. ;)

Anyone fancy building the GWR equiliviant of Gresley Beat with me ? :jester: Dreaming.

Apart from the public enthusiasm for LNER Pacifics, I think that one of the strong points of Gresley Beat is that the approaches to Kings Cross have all the right features for a model railway (tunnels, cuttings, embankments, etc). It "works" visually. 

I'm not quite sure where one would model on the GW that would have the same visual impact and that much operating potential. That said I have always thought that Birmingham Snow Hill has much to recommend it as a model.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I would love to know a bit about the creation of this wonderful layout ie :- Who's idea was it in the first place and who drew up the plans, what trackwork was used,etc. 

Surely I am not the only who would like to know how it all came about.

Regards,

Martyn.

Sorry, just noticed your post, the owner is popping round on Friday so will try and remember to ask your questions.

I think the layout was never designed from the outset to be as it is now, originally it was just the MPD, I remember my uncle showing me videos of the layout in the early days as just the MPD.

I think the track on the scenic sections is SMP, but will ask on Friday.

Martin

Sorry, just noticed your post, the owner is popping round on Friday so will try and remember to ask your questions.

I think the layout was never designed from the outset to be as it is now, originally it was just the MPD, I remember my uncle showing me videos of the layout in the early days as just the MPD.

I think the track on the scenic sections is SMP, but will ask on Friday.

Martin

Cheers Martin,

It would be most appreciated,

Happy New Year.

Martyn.

Hi Guys,

I would love to know a bit about the creation of this wonderful layout ie :- Who's idea was it in the first place and who drew up the plans, what trackwork was used,etc. 

Surely I am not the only who would like to know how it all came about.

Regards,

Martyn.

Went to see Gresley Beat today.

Some answers.

The idea was by Cliff Parsons, the owner, he also drew up the plans of how it is today apart from the later alteration to the fiddle yards.

Track on scenic boards is SMP code 75, track in fiddle yards is Peco code 75.

Martin

Was down at the Beat today and saw the newly installed turntable, it runs very nicely with lovely acceleration and decceleration at the start and finish of each rotation.

IMG_3265_zps070cc5c8.jpg

The twirly bits under the baseboard.

IMG_3263_zps1f6ead3f.jpg

The control panel which is yet to mounted.

IMG_3266_zps8eb4924a.jpg

Martin

• 1 month later...

Show dates for Gresley Beat

Chippenham March 11th and 12th

The only problem being that there isn't a show in Chippenham on 11 & 12 March.

I do hope that this refers to Trainwest (which used to be in Chippenham) in Melksham on 11 & 12 April.

I am starting to put the hall plan together and Gresley Beat is the first layout to be marked in. It will be going in the space nearest to the service entrance doors. This will put the end of the layout about ten yards from the car park.

Geoff Endacott

The only problem being that there isn't a show in Chippenham on 11 & 12 March.

I do hope that this refers to Trainwest (which used to be in Chippenham) in Melksham on 11 & 12 April.

I am starting to put the hall plan together and Gresley Beat is the first layout to be marked in. It will be going in the space nearest to the service entrance doors. This will put the end of the layout about ten yards from the car park.

Geoff Endacott

Geoff,

I will check with Cliff on Monday, I just went by the list he gave me.

Martin

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting those Martin. Who is the fat bald bloke in the blue jumper?........... Damn!!

Cheers,

Tony

He resembles a guy I once met at Roy Jacksons who was operating "Retford"  although yet again he looks a bit like a guy who I saw operating Leighton Buzzard or was it Mansfield Town  or Narrow Road. No it's a guy I saw operating Valleyfields once. Is it Ken Hill or Nick Freezer?  No he's to fat for either of them so it must be the one from Bawtry who's name escapes me. :jester:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived