Dan's budding experiment in O gauge.

DanielB

Some of you may have seen my thread regarding how to branch out into O gauge without breaking the bank. Well, branch out I have and this is what I have so far...

Spent £30 in a second hand model shop and got these three hand built points. Result! More to come as it happens! :)

20131203_174428-1_zps0cae8f60.jpg

Some of you may have seen my thread regarding how to branch out into O gauge without breaking the bank. Well, branch out I have and this is what I have so far...

Spent £30 in a second hand model shop and got these three hand built points. Result! More to come as it happens! :)20131203_174428-1_zps0cae8f60.jpg

Good find. Congratulations.

Bargain number two!

Just got all this hand-made track for £16.50 - sure some of it needs re-soldering and cleaning up but there is enough here along with the points to make a nice shunting layout! :)

track_zpsce0dc511.png

I'd best get to work on a loco and some stock! :D

• RMweb Premium

OK, what's the name or address, I go past there sometimes (like last Friday when blocked A1 & M1 stopped me getting to the Wakefield show)!

Well, not much in terms of an update regarding a layout plan or anything, but I have managed to get another 13 wagons for very cheap cost, so I'm happy in that respect. I'm in the planning stages of getting a locomotive body made from shellaced card, as well as working on getting an old Hornby 00 0-6-0 chassis modified over to have a 7mm wheelbase, so we shall see how that turns out.

As far as a trackplan goes I'm pretty lost in terms of what type of layout to represent. Most of my wagons are of the open variety with plenty of 16t mineral wagons, so perhaps a colliery railway?

That said, I cannot get away from the idea of a rail served Glassworks. But I'm not sure I have the available space for that. Time will tell I guess.

• RMweb Premium

I recall a conversion someone did of a Hornby 0-6-0 into a Manning Wardle saddle tank. The old metal chassis & wheels are probably better to regauge than the flimsy plastic ones!

Dava

Well I've stripped it down to just the wheels on their axles but I need a decent workbench to get the axles out. I should be able to do that at the club.

I've also re-scaled a drawing of a Peckett B3 to 7mm scale, and am going to use it as a guide. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the B3 has been slow at the moment due to work on the club layout, but I'm getting there, bit by bit. I have a large part of the body cut out and ready to be assembled, hopefully I'll have something to show later this week. :)

If you can still find the older 0-6-0 chassis they are quite good for conversions. The newer plastic SSPP chassis with the plastic gears are not so good. Hornby Thomas models are constantly stripping the gears. With the old chassis they make quite convincing 7mm mechanisms with longer axles and every second spoke cut out. At the same time you have the opportunity to put better pick-ups and should consider adding a "stay alive" unit (I don't think flywheels are really possible.)

There are ways to make a relatively cheap and easy chassis in O scale, but converting a R-T-R mechanism picked up cheap is still always cheaper.

Well, progress is slow with the Peckett B3, but it's coming along. Just trying to get the basic skeleton together. The wheelbase is out of scale considering it's a Hornby 00 chassis, but I not really too fussed. Beggars cannot be choosers!

So far it's cost me:

£20 for the Hornby class 08 to butcher for the chassis

85p for a length of brass rod to use to fashion new axles to get the correct gauge

£2 for a pack of card to build the body from

£11 for a pack of shellac flakes which will last me years

£2 for a bottle of methylated spirits to mix the shellac with.

So for less than £40 I've got the basics of an 0 Gauge loco. I'm happy. :)

Not much to show so far, but I'm trying to get the basic shapes together first before I start to test fit the pieces and see how it goes. Going to attempt making the boiler and saddletank tomorrow. Wish me luck! :D

20131221_215133-1_zpsde31f775.jpg

Well, progress is slow with the Peckett B3, but it's coming along. Just trying to get the basic skeleton together. The wheelbase is out of scale considering it's a Hornby 00 chassis, but I not really too fussed. Beggars cannot be choosers!

So far it's cost me:

£20 for the Hornby class 08 to butcher for the chassis

85p for a length of brass rod to use to fashion new axles to get the correct gauge

£2 for a pack of card to build the body from

£11 for a pack of shellac flakes which will last me years

£2 for a bottle of methylated spirits to mix the shellac with.

So for less than £40 I've got the basics of an 0 Gauge loco. I'm happy. :)

Not much to show so far, but I'm trying to get the basic shapes together first before I start to test fit the pieces and see how it goes. Going to attempt making the boiler and saddletank tomorrow. Wish me luck! :D

20131221_215133-1_zpsde31f775.jpg

If you amortise the cost of the shellac and meths over future projects, the cost to date is under £30. The brass rod will probably do more than two axles, so a further cost reduction there. 

See if you can find some plastic drain pipe or a suitable cardboard roll (kitchen roll for example) which might be the right size, or close enough to it, that you can use it as the basis of the saddle tank. I find nothing more infuriating than trying to get a consistent curve from a flat sheet (and then supporting it so that it doesn't warp) Otherwise a slightly under-sized dowel or pipe would be a good former for laminating a few layers of car into the shape that you want.

This rather reminds me of an article I read from an old magazine on scratch-building a locomotive in 7mm scale for a very cheap price. They turned ordinary wagon wheels into locomotive wheels using washers and small BA nuts and bolt and used PCB boards to make the side frames of the chassis and bullhead rail was the basis of the coupling rods.

It seems that there is a preserved B3 at Barrow Hill Roundhouse not 20 minutes from where I live. I'm hoping to have a pop down therr after xmas and ask politely if I can take reference photographs of it. I might even paint and number my model as their loco; Peckett No. 2000 :)

• RMweb Gold

It seems that there is a preserved B3 at Barrow Hill Roundhouse not 20 minutes from where I live. I'm hoping to have a pop down therr after xmas and ask politely if I can take reference photographs of it. I might even paint and number my model as their loco; Peckett No. 2000 :)

here's one to get you started

post-12721-0-15834800-1387923644_thumb.jpg

Archived