Liquid flux and where to get it?

DCC Concepts do small bottles of liquid Sapphire No Clean flux, in 50 cc bottles.  Easy to use and very effective, also non-acid, hence no clean.  I have used it for several years and would have to have considerable factual evidence to change it for anything else.

Regards

Julian

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, trustytrev said:

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. How did you both work it out to get different answers?

trustytre.:)

250/1350 * 0.81 = 15%

250/1640 * 0.81 = 12.3%

Or

250/(1350+250) *0.81 = 12.6%

Edited by 57xx
Typo 25 should be 250

Hello,

Is that 259ml divided by 1350ml multiplied by 0.81 = 15%

250ml divided by 1640ml multiplied by 0.81 = 12.3%

and   250ml divided by 1350ml + 25? multiplied by 0.81 = 12.6% ?

25 what ? and where does the 0.81 come from? if you could be so kind.

Thank you.

trustytrev.:)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Trev,

Sorry, the 25 should be 250 and it's yes, the first part e.g. 250ml/(1350ml+250ml) is all ml. Why are we adding 250ml on the bottom? That's your acid, the 1350ml is the water, giving the total volume of solution.

As your acid is already diluted to 81%, you multiply by 0.81 to get the final dilution. Hopefully I have remembered that right!

Hello,

compression ratios in engines

Now there's a blast from the past. So many years ago.

For those interested here is a link to the phosphoric acid. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Essentials-pH-Down-250ml-pH-Control-81-Phosphoric-Acid-Hydroponics/253192096259?epid=1422808434&hash=item3af36cca03:g:kVwAAOSw8Y1bq37T:rk:13:pf:0

And de-ionised water. https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/carplan-de-ionised-water-25ltr?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=mLMdm81sJawiVuVIB3Q02iPuqxuNE896dyK9lM0srrF%2FAuncmOKW338vkpurU8q9uks96E0Zfh2IzHM6v4KQUhZGHp%2F%2BTbORYjnLNyZFENYuBdEjwjr5R4Gj4b%2BBtYF5t9aVuU2pUKHKRpuT5OOz7B7L5FQr%2F4l3mkP9x%2FqKssY%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fcarplan-de-ionised-water-25ltr

Being from Lancashire means I am more frugal than a Yorkshireman. Just need to sort out the 145 degree solder now. There is a product that lowers the melting point of solder. Is it really possible I wonder.

trustytrev.:)

An interesting topic, following the ever popular topic of how to get something cheap! I find that buying liquid flux in small, but extortionate prices according to some, is more convenient than buying, handling and storing a lifetimes supply.

The mention of self cleaning flux is also interesting and cropped up recently in Wright Writes, when a RMweb member  asked how he could keep his soldering iron tip free from crud or corrosion and last longer. I looked into the self cleaning thing, and found this extract from a US plumbing industry site.

"And Then There's Flux...

We wouldn't be doing anyone any favors if we didn't touch on the available fluxes to complete your job. Where there is flux, you will find solder and, unfortunately, the reverse of that is true also. Flux (and its residue) is a major consideration in the solder joining process.

There are two basic styles of flux, petroleum based and water soluble. Petroleum based fluxes are highly corrosive and require a chemical cleaner to remove residue from the internal and external piping system, not to mention cleaning your tools and yourself. I have watched many plumbers wipe joints with a wet rag after soldering to get rid of the flux. Guess what? That water won't remove the flux's petroleum base. What it will do is make a nice tight ring of flux close to the fitting that will eventually turn black.

ASTM B813 (water soluble) style fluxes are formulated with two distinct advantages. First there's a limit set on the corrosive nature of the product, far reduced from the non-specified petroleum based fluxes. Second, and most important, is that the post-soldering residue must be soluble in hot and cold water. Now that wet rag really works to remove flux from the outside of the pipe and water flow cleans the flux away from the inside. From a user's standpoint, that means no more black fingertips and the burning that petroleum flux can cause in small cuts.

One small point on "self-cleaning" fluxes. Every flux is self-cleaning because every flux contains chlorides that chemically etch copper. Petroleum fluxes need a little heat to clean, water soluble clean on contact-neither is formulated to skip the all important step of mechanical cleaning."

So it appears even self cleaning fluxes should be washed off.