Milliput - does it have a shelf life?

Hi,

I am doing some real modelling again after a protracted convalescence due to treatment for Prostate Cancer.

I needed to fill some plastic tube to create vaccum tanks for a Bullied Merchant Navy in its original condition.

Whilst re acquaiting myself with the contents of my modelling room I came across a pack of Milliput. Thinking this was just right thing for the job I opened the packet and found that the two sticks are rock hard. I don't how long I've had the pack, its the standard yellow - grey and I have used it before but sometime ago so I was a little surprised that it appears to gone off.

I am still using my original tubes of Araldite bought before I emigrated in '67, not often but sometimes it is the only thing that sticks if you get my drift.

Is there anyone who might be able to advise if there is some way you can re-activate Milliput, it seems a shame to waste half a packet that I have left.

Please note it is inside the house so hasn't been exposed to excessive heat or light, in fact it was buried at the back of one of my modelling drawers.

Thanks in anticipation

A very little moisture helps too. I have found that such 'recovered' Milliput is slow to go off too, so perhaps best not to use on any job where you want to make rapid progress, and I wouldn't use it for a finishing type job. Filling plastic tubes should be OK, then a long cure in a warm spot. Hope that the return to active modelling helps with your recovery back to 'normal life'.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to leave it out in the sun to see if that improves things.

We are expecting 38C tomorrow (third day of the third test) but if it gets nail biting I might leave it to Monday (39C)

Thanks again for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to use some milliput the other day, which was close to 20 years old, but unopened. I found it was initially a bit hard to knead, but after twenty minutes had managed to get the two parts softened and squeezed together, so I applied it, and rolled the residue into a cylinder as a test piece. It took about 16 hours for a cure, but both the job and the test piece were satisfactory. The test piece had a very china-like feel to it when tapped, I can see why they suggest it's good for repairing crockery.

The Milliput had been stored in the room, not outside, so ambient temperature varied between 12 and 20 degrees.

Archived