Heljan Class 26 or similar

Austrag

Hi, I have just removed one digit from my Class 26 cab number. Does anyone know the style and size of the font etc to add a new digit? I also note that the flat finish is probably in the paint but which is the best flat finish in a retail bottle? Thanks, David

All the Heljan paint finishes were spec'd to match Howes Railmatch paints. As far as I can remember the Railfreight grey shades were a very good match. I would also suggest using Replica black rub on transfers as they are dead easy to put on but as already mentioned it would be best to apply the complete numbers.

I removed the numbers from a Heljan Railfreight class 58 using an ink rubber - a track cleaning rubber would do equally well. If you are very careful you should be able to rub the number(s) off without damaging the paint underneath.

I used the Replica large black rub-on numbers intended for the 58s but they do also offer the smaller font size suitable for the 26.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The original build class 26/0s are due the 19th May. They look good, Howes have pictures of them all.

I would agree with that.A perfect partner for the recently released "as built" Baby Deltics.King's Cross 1959 to Moorgate,suburbia and Cambridge Buffet Expresses....before their mass migration North of the border.Now it needs only a D61XX ( Dapol ?) to complete the trio.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting pictures.  

Are the front doors proud of the rest of the front? Or are the edges a ridge?  I would expect flush and a groove.  

Don't suppose we can expect the different position of the front lamp irons on the first few to be modelled!

My three arrived this morning. I managed to take a couple of quick shots of D5300 during my lunch hour:

Thanks for posting pictures.  

Are the front doors proud of the rest of the front? Or are the edges a ridge?  I would expect flush and a groove.  

Don't suppose we can expect the different position of the front lamp irons on the first few to be modelled!

Hi, the front doors aren't flush. They stick out a scale sheet thickness. I could only see two lamp irons on the loco. Whether there are more on the disc sprues (which plug into the front ends), I don't know.

Very nice.

But - is mine better? I did a conversion, backdating the original Heljan release, so it has personal modelling included. For that reason, I can't really see me getting one now.

Stewart

ps when will they turn their attention to dmu's? They like the early "oddballs", a Wickham 109 would be sooooo nice....

Very nice.

But - is mine better? I did a conversion, backdating the original Heljan release, so it has personal modelling included. For that reason, I can't really see me getting one now.

Stewart

ps when will they turn their attention to dmu's? Thet like the early "oddballs", a Wickham 109 would be sooooo nice....

i think youve answered your own question there.

i dare say Baby Deltic will be able to say the same thing once he has done his own bit of personal modelling.

Hi.

Thanks for reply.  The comment re lamp irons related to D5300 and one or two others having the lampirons inboard, rather than almost at sides of front (as modelled), see:

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages%20Loco/Recognition%20loco/Illus_26.html

From googled images seem to show four irons in later life - two as original and two added in position as on others of class.

Front doors - hard to say from pictures of prototype, but logic says should be flush.

Thanks again.

Hi, the front doors aren't flush. They stick out a scale sheet thickness. I could only see two lamp irons on the loco. Whether there are more on the disc sprues (which plug into the front ends), I don't know.

Archived