RMweb

Inside a large covered goods depot 1960s

• RMweb Gold

found this shot of Wavertree parcels concentration depot in 1961.

attachicon.gif1961-may-liverpool-wavertre.jpg

Yard Lamps and masts and notices match up. The brick building shown is to the right of the later clips from the film. The similar building to the left of the clips may have still existed in the undergrowth along Picton Road recently. There's one in a similar place if you backdate Google Earth a couple of updates.

• RMweb Gold

Its definately Wavertee, well done to those who recognised it, totally stumped me, the houses in the background are all still there, they are on Picton Road.

The type of houses looked familiar, my daughter lived about 3/4 mile away over near Hattons old shop when she was a student in the 1990s.

• RMweb Gold

can anyone add any more info to this? I take it the number is for a van which corresponds with the item, wondering what the letters after the number would mean..

attachicon.gifvlcsnap-2013-12-11-19h36m42s27.png

'T' usually stood for 'transfer' but it might have had another use up there although I think the codes were national - as far as I can remember they are sundries sort codes.  

The big problem with smalls/sundries traffic was the multiple handling - not too bad between main centres where there were direct wagons but if there wasn't a direct wagon or if the originating depot was a small depot then you started getting involved in transfers or, quite often, multiple transfers which created delay and led to stuff going astray or getting lost plus of course every extra handling  brought a chance for damage and it would be impossible to trace where it happened, the same with pilferage of course which was a never ending problem with some types of traffic.

All in all it was labour intensive, notwithstanding concentration schemes, and a lot of the traffic simply couldn't be carried at rates which were competitive and profitable as road hauliers would pick and chose the easy stuff and the stuff that could have a premium rate for a slightly better level of service.  Odd in some respects that it is effectively what mainly of the distribution type firms do today but there are costs are considerably less in comparative terms, their labour isn't heavily unionised, and their admin is heavily computerised - all a world of difference from where BR had got things to by the d 1960s (which was in itself a massive advance on and far simpler than things had been before nationalisation).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What caught my attention the most, is how clean all the vans look. And you're right about the roof vents. There's two ex LMS without any and one LNER fruit van without any still labeled as fruit!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

this is argyle st. in glasgow looking east - timothy white's is on the corner of what's now st.enoch square, the hotel is out of shot to the right

think this is looking down buchanan st., glasgow from cathedral street

think this might be the view to left of the previous shot, in which case that's glasgow queen st. station in the background

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That block of flats is typical of council developments all over the city.  There was one almost identical at Bellingham SE London, on the corner of the road from Bellingham station, right by to the traffic lights on the A21, near to Catford bus depot.  Granddad drove buses from there up until the late 60s.

Great thread Micheal, very interesting.

They were the LCC standard flats during the inter-war years.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photos Michael has posted and the wonderful film, at 56years old I seem to approaching the recruitment age for British Railways :O Did they employ anyone who wasn't about to retire.

Another excellent thread started by Michael.

• Like 1

my dad always points that out, in all of these films the men are always old. although I dont think the fashions, hairstyles and glasses helped.

They're probably all younger than I am now- but then, most of them would have lived through the Depression and WW2, and smoked large quantities of Woodies, Capstan Full-Strength or Senior Service, so no wonder they looked knackered. 

• Like 1