Inside a large covered goods depot 1960s

A Google search of 'Old Ship Assembly Rooms' brought up Brighton as a possibility: http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-481256-old-ship-assembly-rooms-

The sea front view has a certain Sussex coast feel to to the architecture.  I nearly said Hastings where my granparents livied.

Hi

Yep it's Brighton sea front, lived there for 18 years.

Darren

• 3 months later...

This months British railways illustrated Vol 23 no 7 April 2014 has an excellent series of photographs taken inside Huskisson goods yard. It was rebuilt by British railways after the luftwaffe destroyed the original so talks about the mod cons such as cranes and conveyor belt which would explain the reason for the photographs and probably the film footage too as it was up to date and they may have been proud of it.

all movements done by capstan, no locos allowed in the shed.

post-27-0-85630600-1395674174.jpg

I only just found this thread and it's great i'm in the planning stages of a secret project and this will prove useful. I love older railway 'movies' like this as being only 18 I've never experienced stuff like this.

Thanks for creating this thread I love reading through the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtaouOSACsQ&noredirect=1

another one i watch every so often. i love the 'behind the scenes' videos and the stores one is a favorite :)

thanks again

Jamie D 

(edited to add video)

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I worked as a shunter in this yard in the late 60s. Picton Road is on the left. Sheds centre and the (Round) line to the left leads to the main Liverpool line; this is where we brought the trains into the yard. Coal sidings were on the left of the pic (out of shot) The small brick building (left of centre) was the platelayer's cabin. A lot of business went through the shed from catalogue goods to industrial equipment; there was even a separate shed for Rowntrees sweets operated by their own staff, just out of shot to the left.

An educated guess: the "ring stiffness tester" is likely to be a means of measuring force and deflection on a sample of, possibly corrugated cardboard, to ascertain if it is suitable for the intended packaging.

A ring of steel (or other metal) will predictably deflect when squeezed across its diameter, and the deflection can be measured with a dial gauge, which could easily be calibrated in units of force rather than units of distance/deflection.

There are several listed on google images as "ring force gauges" - ring stiffness testers appear to be related nowadays to plastic pipe, unlikely in 1960 or so.

Best

Simon

As a kid I well remember this entrance to Liverpool Central - Bold Street to the right, and the Lyceum tea rooms. You went down a sloping corridor under the "Mersey Railway" sign, IIRC it curved slightly to the left. There was at least one shop down there, I recall my mum buying me a small die cast tank loco (might have been matchbox, but a little bigger I think - maybe TT sized?) one Saturday. Once you went down the slope, you turned right down a large, quite wide staircase, through one of those sliding folding screens, and onto an island platform. The trains came in on the left (obviously!) and the passengers detrained. The set then went on, the points and signals changed and it came back on the right, where we got on to go home. I always wanted to stay on for the reversal, but mum wasn't having it. No sense of adventure (and probably very little confidence that her 5 year old was not dreaming!).

Thanks so much for posting these!

Simon

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 13/12/2013 at 22:36, br2975 said:

Excuse my ignorance ... but what is a 'ring stiffness tester' used for ?

Brian R

(I wonder who'll be first to bite ?)

A bit late and hope it's not too off topic (or pedantic - I used to be a paper technologist)

Standard paper and board testing methods. The picture shows a flat crush test; a sample of corrugated board is placed between two anvils and pressed, the force required for it to fail in compression is recorded. Ring stiffness or ring crush relates to the stiffness of the board in the vertical plane - relates to the sides of the box when stacked - a ring of liner board is formed from a narrow strip inserted into a mandrel and placed between the anvils, the ring is crushed edgewise, again the force at failure is recorded. You will often find test spec details printed on standard corrugated cases. 

The other photo shows an inclined ramp used to slide loaded pallets, cases etc down into a block to test the effectiveness of dunnage etc. PIRA had one or more in the 80s.

Another great thread by the way - this site is a gold mine, better than watching TV. Thanks to all.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, after that blast from the past, I’m delighted to see that my educated guess was not a million miles off target!

thanks for the info!

i used to work in the lithium battery industry, we had to use certified packaging to prevent physical damage to the batteries (which are sensitive little souls, they don’t like it too hot, and they don’t like it too cold, and they don’t like being overcharged, or over-discharged, and they definitely don’t like being poked, and can react quite spectacularly if irritated) and all our cardboard packaging was stamped with a weight category, and some other details.

if anyone’s into disaster movies, googling “lithium battery plane fires” is a great place to start.  If in doubt, and your phone starts smoking on the plane, tell the crew who will put it in a bucket of water/coffee/juice/tea/coffee/any other available watery liquid.  Not ice.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1