Inside a large covered goods depot 1960s

Amazing to see how busy these places were, and they were just dealing with 'Sundries'- major centres would have had Parcels and Full Load Terminals as well. So sad that it's all disappeared, not just here, but over most of mainland Europe as well.

Some fascinating views, with excellent shots of van roofs, the aspect of a model van that we often see first, and yet which is hardly ever evident in photos. There's one which has an interesting selection of creases in it, looking as though the felt was fitted by a cowboy roofer. The second shot with this roof also has an ex-GWR 'Fruit-Mex' in it- the sheer variety of van types is quite amazing, the only ones I can't see are Palvans, Vanwides, and any sort of Meat van.

Where is/was Sighthill? It rings a bell, but I can't find it in any of my books of maps.

Thanks for posting, Michael.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Clues so far

• The Indian Spledour did the Calcutta - Liverpool run.
  • One van has a poster with fares from Manchester Exchange on it.
  • A lot of the road vehicles are LMR allocated.
  • By the roof and side cladding and clock positions it is in at least 3 different sheds.

Besides the Fruit-Mex there's a BR Meat Van in general use as well.

• Like 1

Amazing to see how busy these places were, and they were just dealing with 'Sundries'- major centres would have had Parcels and Full Load Terminals as well. So sad that it's all disappeared, not just here, but over most of mainland Europe as well.

Some fascinating views, with excellent shots of van roofs, the aspect of a model van that we often see first, and yet which is hardly ever evident in photos. There's one which has an interesting selection of creases in it, looking as though the felt was fitted by a cowboy roofer. The second shot with this roof also has an ex-GWR 'Fruit-Mex' in it- the sheer variety of van types is quite amazing, the only ones I can't see are Palvans, Vanwides, and any sort of Meat van.

Where is/was Sighthill? It rings a bell, but I can't find it in any of my books of maps.

Thanks for posting, Michael.

I think those last shots of the van with the repaired roof are looking 180degrees from the very first shot posted, the conveyor is moving the same way and Huskisson was open at both ends, presumably the vans were shunted through in one direction?

Sightill is Glasgow, so the overhead wires in the last shot should match for the blue trains?

My eyesight must be going, as I can't see the Meat van..

It looks as though everything was double handled, at least; wagon- flat trailer- van trailer and vice-versa.

Definitely at least two depots; one has overhead crane tracks; these are not evident in other views, which have a much lighter supporting structure. One also has at least some dead-end roads, whereas Huskisson looks, from the plan, to have only through roads.

Edited by Fat Controller

notice the tin of formaldehyde in one of the shots - no problems with exotic substances in those days...

good stuff this Mike.

Keep up the good work

Barry O 

that shot was set up to show how not to load things, dont put fertilzer next to food and also load heavy cases below not on top of light boxes and use cusioned pads..

post-27-0-11058900-1386871689.png

post-27-0-17492300-1386871868.png

post-27-0-41286500-1386871709.png

post-27-0-19518000-1386871729.png

post-27-0-83152800-1386871749.png

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The AR plates were issued by Hertfordshire and GB was issued by Glasgow. I suspect the Scammell Scarab fleet were registered by the manufacturers who were based in Watford hence the Hertfordshire registrations.

• Like 1

The AR plates were issued by Hertfordshire and GB was issued by Glasgow. I suspect the Scammell Scarab fleet were registered by the manufacturers who were based in Watford hence the Hertfordshire registrations.

Each region registered their own vehicles. It is just coincidence that the Midland Region registered all their vehicles in Hertfordshire as their road vehicle H Q was at Watford. Note the Scottish Scarabs are Glasgow registered.

Merf.