SCRATCH BUILDING A LSWR PULL PUSH TRAILER THIRD. (now including the driving third)

N15class

Just a little done on the carriage. I have reprimed the body. Which I am hoping will go green tomorrow or thursday.

Back today I have been tiling the kitchen but did manage to make the corridor conection. It does work but I may remake the bellows. Do not need to worry until it is painted and being fitted.

I have got no idea who's kit it is. but it is nice to only use one pair for two coaches.

post-13601-0-48824100-1390336510_thumb.jpg

A very quick update, to show you all why we don't rush things.

I gave the carriage a coat of olive, I was pleased with the finish there were a couple of marks one I could live with the other needed to be sort. Not a big job so thought I would do it after painting the underframe.

post-13601-0-08322700-1390864367_thumb.jpg

Now this is what happens when the paint does not stick to the primer. It is all my fault I was rushing and I think there was a little moister left, along with a high humidity day. So masked up and underframe painted black. Remove the masking and this is the result. even after a week of curing.

post-13601-0-73703500-1390864386_thumb.jpg

The underframe looks good anyway.  We are now all sanded down and in the draw drying ready for later in the week.

post-13601-0-29587600-1390864406_thumb.jpg

Oh crap! I wouldn't have expected that after a week in the heat you have down there.

Will you have to strip it down and re-paint, or can you get away with just cleaning up and re-painting the two panels?

Kev

I think the model was not completely dry. So my own fault for rushing.

I have got the fine, wet, wet and dry to it and gleaned up the two panels and lightly sanded the rest too. I will mask the underframe and respray the lot.. I was hoping to paint the roof this week but hay ho.

Managed to repaint the body sides, and I have just noticed I have a little piece of beading, must sort that out. Next up is to add to hand rails to the roof, and get that painted white.

After that before I do the ends, I have to spoil a good paint job with my poor lining. After the painting, transfers and varnishing is done I can then finish and paint the ends. So far so good I am feeling good about it about the way it is going.

post-13601-0-70436500-1391044627_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-17570100-1391044647_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well along with our move to the house and waiting for an internet connection. I have done a little to the trailer third. It is now ready for me to detail the ends, do the glazing and fit a few steps and the gates. The gates and steps are made but I felt they were to fragile to put on with all the handling required to detail the ends.

Here are a few photos to get you upto date. The sides have been lined and transfers applied. Roof detailed and the whole lot given a coat of satin varnish.

First picture shows one side with the interior protectors in place. You can see my practice with colour and pen.

post-13601-0-26592600-1392393015_thumb.jpg

The second shows the opposite side with the protectors out.

post-13601-0-20399300-1392393058_thumb.jpg

The next few are close ups that show how poor the lining really is. Another 100 coaches I may get better, shame I only need 6 or 7.

post-13601-0-43921600-1392393107_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-29465800-1392393139_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-59043100-1392393165_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me Peter, well done, only another ten to do ?  (hahaha)

George

Thanks George.

Ah but the good thing about old fashioned push pull there is only two to make a train. Mine you I have three etched carriages to do. I am getting the urge to build a couple of iron clads too. Less panalling to do.

Well along with our move to the house and waiting for an internet connection. I have done a little to the trailer third. It is now ready for me to detail the ends, do the glazing and fit a few steps and the gates. The gates and steps are made but I felt they were to fragile to put on with all the handling required to detail the ends.

Here are a few photos to get you upto date. The sides have been lined and transfers applied. Roof detailed and the whole lot given a coat of satin varnish.

First picture shows one side with the interior protectors in place. You can see my practice with colour and pen.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

The next few are close ups that show how poor the lining really is. Another 100 coaches I may get better, shame I only need 6 or 7.

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

There's nowt wrong with that Peter! Very nice work; I'd be well proud of that :locomotive: . Close up pics can be very cruel but I can't see any faults!

Jon F.

Hi Peter,

I think the coach looks great now you have done the lining. Well done!

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin

I am busy with the ends now, I am looking forward to seeing it done. I have not made a 7mm coach from scratch before.

There's nowt wrong with that Peter! Very nice work; I'd be well proud of that :locomotive: . Close up pics can be very cruel but I can't see any faults!

Jon F.

Thanks Jon

Yes I am proud, as it is the first effort in this scale.

I often use photos for fault finding when building. I often look at the previous days photos before starting so things can be rectified.

• RMweb Premium

The next few are close ups that show how poor the lining really is.

Looks superb to me Peter, I would be very happy with it!  Especially after your trials and tribulations.,

We can all be too critical of our own acheivements, as we've said before.

All the best, Dave.

I have detailed the ends and they are now in primer. I hope to get them painted black tomorrow. I can then glaze the carriage and attach them then a bit of touching up and some varnish on the ends. and we should be done. (Famous last words).

The steps etc are all brass and pinned to help hold it all together better. I fitted it all to the ends although the handrails should be slightly different. But I did it this way to make my life easier.

The first is the outer end to show the method of detailing.

post-13601-0-32210300-1392669820_thumb.jpg

This is the inner end with the gangway. Half is fitted to the end the outer part and bellows will be fitted after painting.

post-13601-0-53291300-1392669856_thumb.jpg

Outer end again but primed. You can see a bit of work is required under one of the steps.

post-13601-0-84176700-1392669886_thumb.jpg

The two ends and the outer part of the gangway.

post-13601-0-82744900-1392669915_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

Peter

A lovely bit of modelling

Top notch modelling Peter!

The primer highlights just how crisply you have scratch-built the ends.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin

They went together quicker than I thought the longest jobs were making all the steps and drilling for the pins.

Peter

A lovely bit of modelling

Thanks Hayfield.

It was one of the really enjoyable bit of modelling.

A very nice job there.

One minor criticism, and it's a mistake many modellers make, steam heat and air pipes are not "springy" like vacuum pipes, they're usually plain pipes. the vac pipes have the wire inside to stop them collapsing under vacuum. steam and air are pressurised. Unless photos show any different...

Archived