SCRATCH BUILDING A LSWR PULL PUSH TRAILER THIRD. (now including the driving third)

N15class

A very nice job there.

One minor criticism, and it's a mistake many modellers make, steam heat and air pipes are not "springy" like vacuum pipes, they're usually plain pipes. the vac pipes have the wire inside to stop them collapsing under vacuum. steam and air are pressurised. Unless photos show any different...

Thanks Roy

Yes I knew they where different. Just made them what I had available. I may add more paint to the air hoses to make smoother.

I can now confirm, even though I am two competitions late, that I have now finished this project, apart maybe for weathering, But that will be done if at all when the other half is completed.

The ends were painted, and fitted. The gangway was a was a pain to assemble after painting but it was done in the end. Once in place I needed to touch them up here and there. then I sprayed them with varnish to match the rest. I masked the sides to protect the glazing.

I did find some of my seated figures, so I painted 3 and added them, did not need many as it is not market day.

When I refitted the bogies I place a spring and washers on the screw to dampen down any body movement.

I am pleased with the way it has turned out. I can see many things I would like to of done better. But I suppose that will come with more practice, or more patients.

Well here is an overload of pictures for you all to make up your own minds. I just hope I manage to complete the driving coach before this one warps or falls to bits.

We with two views or the complete thing.

post-13601-0-55076500-1393113479_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-20335900-1393113488_thumb.jpg

Now a selection of detailed shots to show you all the short comings of my work.

post-13601-0-79095800-1393113507_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-03190900-1393113530_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-82871100-1393113544_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-63283100-1393113578_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-74536200-1393113601_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-94766200-1393113632_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter. That is pretty impressive work.  The scissor gates and gangway are really good.  Very well done. Ken

Thanks Ken

I am pleased with the out come. Better overall than I thought it would be. It is all far more visible than the 4mm ones I made.

Peter or anyone else, I have built in plasticard a LBSC 4 wheeled coach in 7 mm. I made the W irons springs and axle boxes out of plasticard also, they look fine but a metal (W iron) would be better especially as one of the Peco coach wheels have gone wobbly and the W iron is a bit brittle now.

Where can I get an inexpensive set from please. Happy to rebuild the springs, axle boxes etc

Peter or anyone else, I have built in plasticard a LBSC 4 wheeled coach in 7 mm. I made the W irons springs and axle boxes out of plasticard also, they look fine but a metal (W iron) would be better especially as one of the Peco coach wheels have gone wobbly and the W iron is a bit brittle now.

Where can I get an inexpensive set from please. Happy to rebuild the springs, axle boxes etc

John

I can´t think of any one apart from Slaters who do etched W irons, It might be easier to use  Gladiators  or WEP´s internal ones and chop the ends of the axles off. Next to no repairing this way and even if the plastic W irons are brittle they are there just looking pretty.

Here we go again with the Driving third. This is not a complete scratch build as the trailer third was. Well not at the moment anyway.

The carriage had taken on a mighty twist whist no work was being done. So the sides and ends where removed, the sole bars cut off the sides and the floor screwed down on a plank.

After some tidying up re assembly has been started.  I think I will keep it on the plank until the inside is finished and the false roof fitted. I am hoping that all this will work. If not it is back to the begining and build it the same way a the trailer third.

Well here is where I have got to so far.

post-13601-0-79356400-1393532546_thumb.jpg

I can now confirm, even though I am two competitions late, that I have now finished this project, apart maybe for weathering, But that will be done if at all when the other half is completed.

The ends were painted, and fitted. The gangway was a was a pain to assemble after painting but it was done in the end. Once in place I needed to touch them up here and there. then I sprayed them with varnish to match the rest. I masked the sides to protect the glazing.

I did find some of my seated figures, so I painted 3 and added them, did not need many as it is not market day.

When I refitted the bogies I place a spring and washers on the screw to dampen down any body movement.

I am pleased with the way it has turned out. I can see many things I would like to of done better. But I suppose that will come with more practice, or more patients.

Well here is an overload of pictures for you all to make up your own minds. I just hope I manage to complete the driving coach before this one warps or falls to bits.

We with two views or the complete thing.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

Now a selection of detailed shots to show you all the short comings of my work.

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

attachicon.giff.jpg

attachicon.gifg.jpg

attachicon.gifh.jpg

Hi Peter,

I missed this post of the completed coach somehow. It has come out very well indeed.  I take my hat off (well, I would if I owned one!) to you.  A few months ago this was just sheets of plastic and now you have a coach!  Not only that, but even with digital photos taken in close-up, it still looks good.

A very good outcome to the project.

Colin

Here we go again with the Driving third. This is not a complete scratch build as the trailer third was. Well not at the moment anyway.

The carriage had taken on a mighty twist whist no work was being done. So the sides and ends where removed, the sole bars cut off the sides and the floor screwed down on a plank.

After some tidying up re assembly has been started.  I think I will keep it on the plank until the inside is finished and the false roof fitted. I am hoping that all this will work. If not it is back to the begining and build it the same way a the trailer third.

Well here is where I have got to so far.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

Hi Peter,

Good - more entertainment! 

Just a suggestion, but what about making a rectangular metal sub frame to fit between the solebars to keep the chassis true.  It would have to be made so that it did not foul the wheels of course.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Peter,

I missed this post of the completed coach somehow. It has come out very well indeed.  I take my hat off (well, I would if I owned one!) to you.  A few months ago this was just sheets of plastic and now you have a coach!  Not only that, but even with digital photos taken in close-up, it still looks good.

A very good outcome to the project.

Colin

Thanks Colin

I always like the way you take one sort of material or other and with a little effort you get something that looks or works just like the original. I used to model aircraft and boats too. why I ended up just doing trains I am unsure. Maybe it was cos I was c##p at flying aircraft.

Hi Peter,

Good - more entertainment! 

Just a suggestion, but what about making a rectangular metal sub frame to fit between the solebars to keep the chassis true.  It would have to be made so that it did not foul the wheels of course.

All the best,

Colin

I had  not thought about a metal sub frame. I may look into it fi things go pear banana shaped again. I am fairly certain it was leaving it so long and not making it into a box after adding all the stress of painting the inside.

The driving third looks like a short little carriage to me. How long was the prototype?

Maybe I'm just too used to great big 70' GWR Autocoaches!

The driver and trailer are both 48 foot coaches. It all works out nicely 2 coaches and a little engine all in a space less than 3 feet. They will even make a short six foot long platform look huge.

The driver and trailer are both 48 foot coaches. It all works out nicely 2 coaches and a little engine all in a space less than 3 feet. They will even make a short six foot long platform look huge.

Ah, perfect for a small branchline terminus!

The pair are going to look very nice.

Archived