Southsand-on-Sea (formerly Deal) - Present day East Kent in 00

South-East Rail

Hello.

I'm starting my third layout (the others being my original 6x4 foot tail-chaser and my ongoing depot), based loosely on the station at Deal in Kent. Here is the initial trackplan:

Deal Track Plan

(Each square = 1 square foot)

The lines going off towards Sandwich are on the left, and those heading towards Walmer are on the right. The layout also features an extended Network Rail siding with a headshunt. I plan on operating more freight than is perhaps realistic (There aren't any regular flows east of Folkestone!) as an endless stream of EMUs would be a bit dull. Any advice would be welcomed.

Regards,

Ed

Edited by South-East Rail

the siding on the Sandwich side has been relayed recently for engineering traffic  if i recall correctly was also used extensively during the building of the channel tunnel

You're right about the siding, I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know about the Chunnel stuff, thanks for the info.

Thanks, lots of useful stuff there.

Ed

Answer to my email sent to Andy a good friend of mine,earlier this evening, 

The Dover Deal line, passes,the end of his garden...........

Evening Dave.
I guess Ed will be watching your Electrostar conversion with interest (I bet Hornby produce one as soon as you've done a couple!).

Like Ed says there is little other than Electrostars using the line nowadays but there is some variety that I can think of off hand:

Javelins run through ecs between Dover and Ramsgate.

Network Rail test trains are frequent visitors (either running through or turning back running in/out via Sandwich). I have photted t'n't 73s (73107/109/138/201) and t'n't DRS 37s on the line or at Priory in last couple of years. Prior to that it was GBRf 73s. NR 31/DBSO combos run overnight to Priory and may go through Deal

Deal was a regular destination for the VSOE British Pullman during the summer. I can't remember off hand which way it ran though. This would be t'n't DBS 67s

There are also railtours running south through Deal. There are gauging issues on South Eastern (allegedly/when it suits them) so steam tours are restricted in haulage usually to Tangmere or Tornado often with a WCRC 37/47/57 on the back. Diesel tours are generally powered by WCRC locos t'n't.

When the Open golf was last held at Sandwich there were several special trains run. British Pullman ran each day ( DBS 67s), DRS 47s t'n't the Northern Belle MkII Pullmans (thurs/fri) and a grubby set of MkIIs was t'n't by DBS 66/67s. All trains ran via Priory and returned south for servicing at Folkestone/Dollands Moor/Tonbridge, reversing the procedure in the evening. SE ran additional 12 car Javelins.

In the autumn Windhoff MPVs are allocated to a rail cleaning diagram daily running via Deal to Dover and back. In the winter 73/GLV combos work alongside MPVs as required on deicing/sandite trains. There's also the snow trains which run as required (I'm not sure if any ran via Deal though) with a variety of locos t'n't - GBRf 73s, NR 57s, Colas 66s and WCRC 33/37/47s.

Engineers trains always run southbound through Deal due to gradient out of Dover (unless that's the line being replaced!). Up to this summer most big jobs in East Kent have been shared by GBRf and DBS (so mostly 66s from either company and the odd double headed by 73s). However, DBS have now pulled out of the Network Rail market so we should see more variety from Freightliner/Colas/NR. 

Hope this is helpful for starters. I can provide pics for Ed to supplement any of above if he wants (subject to usual copyright).

Cheers

Andy Howard

Update:

Today saw the construction of the baseboards - two 8 x 2-foot boards end to end. Surprisingly, these were finished in a day. Construction is of plywood mounted on pine baton, 3 foot off the floor. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures soon.

I also laid out some of my new Peco Code 75 concrete-sleeper track, to see what the track plan looks like in real life. I have to say I'm very impressed with the Peco track compared to the standard Hornby stuff! I joined five 1-yard lengths together and ran 67018 up and down a few times just for fun - now I'm really keen to get the cork underlay and track fixed down - then it's on to wiring, ballasting and weathering!

Regards,

Ed

• Like 2

Looking forward to your progress Ed.

Get some 33s and 73s on to it.

Bettshanger coal trains with a 33 on the front of it

They even had a 47 or 56 very occasionaly. So perhaps you could do that as well.

For example

It might not have been routed through Deal...but was in the vacinity!

lol didnt want to post a picture of my track car ...lets try that again!!!!!

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 2

Looking forward to your progress Ed.

Get some 33s and 73s on to it.

Bettshanger coal trains with a 33 on the front of it

They even had a 47 or 56 very occasionaly. So perhaps you could do that as well.

For example

It might not have been routed through Deal...but was in the vacinity!

lol didnt want to post a picture of my track car ...lets try that again!!!!!

Sounds good! I'll have to get round to sourcing some MGR hoppers (and suitable traction) at some stage.

• Like 1

Good evening.

A quick pre-Christmas update:

I haven't done any more work on the layout but here are a few shots of the baseboards along with the first train to run on them. 

MOD Train 3

MOD Train 2

MOD Train 4

Baseboards

Perhaps something like this will run on the layout when it's done...

Hope everyone has a very happy Christmas!

Ed
  • Like 4

Dover 2013

11592510196_7535657101.jpg

11591947513_e5c41553a0.jpg

Photo's, Copyright of Andy Howard.

Brilliant, some very nice shots there!

Quick update:

Today I started cutting out the cork underlay for the track. Father Christmas was very generous and gave me 31233 in NR yellow, some IOA ballast wagons and some IPA car carriers, amongst other things. More photos soon!

Regards,

Ed

• Like 1