Small spur - what is it's function ?

ThePurplePrimer

• RMweb Gold

Hi big Jim

That's an interesting setup but I can't quite fathom how it works ?

If you have a spare minute could you explain it's operation please

It's called a wide-to-gauge trap point and the two switch rails move in opposite directions.  When it is set to trap they stand as in Jim's photo and any wheels of an unauthorised move pass on the outside of the switch toes hopefully them being braked (to some extent) as teh switches widen out to normal gauge but itf it's a fast or heavy vehicle over-running the switches would probably cripple and bend over, or all over the place.

The tw switch rail move in opposite direction against their appropriate stock rail thereby creating a normal gauge wheel path through the point.

W-T-G switches are normally used where there is no safe run off to either side or where a run off to the side could possibly result in a collision and they're not at all common nowadays (they never were very common but there are far fewer about now that ever was the case in the past.

• RMweb Gold

Now that is an interesting bridge/tunnel!

Cheers

Martin

it has been discussed in a previous incarnation of the forum

Hi big Jim

That's an interesting setup but I can't quite fathom how it works ?

If you have a spare minute could you explain it's operation please

the 2nd picture is facing the direction of travel, as you are looking at it the protecting signal is red and the catch point is protecting the line ahead so anything running towards it simply falls into the 4ft rather than be thrown off left or right

when the signal is green the blades open out to complete the running rail as such, simple as that!

EDIT: mikes explanation makes more sense than mine, never really thought about the blades acting as a brake as such, looking at the picture again i can see how it would work!

• RMweb Premium

its "picko No1 tunnel" also intestesting as its a curved tunnel you can see the daylight at the other end through!

Image244.jpg

Image243.jpg

From those pictures you can clearly see the rivets that fix the end of the cross girders to the longitudinal girder.  I would suspect that the pattern of cross girders then continue throughout the tunnel with jack arches of either brick or plate  between them running across the tracks tat hold the ground cover above There would then I presume be a similar arrangement of girders at the far end depending on the geometry. 

Jamie

Jamie

Archived