Small spur - what is it's function ?

ThePurplePrimer

I have seen a trackplan in a magazine article (RM) and off of a small siding is a tiny section of track labelled as a 'spur'

Obviously I can't fairly put the whole trackplan here but this is the snippet of it I am talking about ...

post-20732-0-38765700-1387359280.jpg

It looks very short so I'm not sure what it's prototypical function would be

PS the small structure at the bottom right hand of the picture is a water tower

Do you know ?

Thanks for the reply Brian

I did wonder if that was it but my knowledge of railways is very limited ( but I am reading as quick as I can )

The thing that seemed odd to me is if it's a catch point the wouldn't a runaway get routed straight into the signal box ?

Also none of the rest of that plan has any catch points and there are a few sidings ?

Hopefully there would be a sand drag or something like that to protect the signalbox, in my experience the actual track leading away from the trap point would be much shorter then indicated on the diagram there. Looking carefully at the plan the signalman would have a grandstand view of a runaway wagon shooting past the front of his box - I bet it'd make him spill his tea for sure! :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hopefully there would be a sand drag or something like that to protect the signalbox, in my experience the actual track leading away from the trap point would be much shorter then indicated on the diagram there. Looking carefully at the plan the signalman would have a grandstand view of a runaway wagon shooting past the front of his box - I bet it'd make him spill his tea for sure! :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

And we all know what steps he'd take...

• RMweb Premium

There are others on this forum who are much better qualified than me but as I understand it the catch/trap point had to be provided toi protect any passnger running line where a siding joined it.  usually goods sidings had no signals and hand worked points.  However the actual set of points that controlled the exit onto the main line were always controlled by the signal box and interlocked. Both points in the arrangement would usually be worked by the same lever.  there would also usually be a ground or shunt signal controlling the exit from the siding.  Sometimes the siding exit was too far from the sugnal box for a standard set of point rodding so a ground frame would be provided but with a lock controlled by a wire run from the box.

Jamie

Sometimes the function of the trap point is taken by an actual point (into a reverse siding or off a headshunt for instance). In other words the 'spur' extends into a siding or loop.

A catch point is what you get (got) on a running line to prevent a train running away in the wrong direction down gradient if it has become detached or its brakes have failed.

• RMweb Premium

The thing that seemed odd to me is if it's a catch point the wouldn't a runaway get routed straight into the signal box ?

Better to squash a signal box than derail a passenger train, though I'm not sure that the signal box staff would totally agree with that!

The other thing you could do in that location is have the spur long enough to hold a coal wagon. The St. Ives (Cornwall) shed* had a combined water tower and coaling stage, and a wagon of coal was frequently stored in the headshunt, which was a similar length to the 'spur' in the diagram.

Adrian

*it was a fairly minimal facility - the shed could hold one 45xx, with another at the coal stage/water tower. Beyond that was the headshunt and access to the main line.

Probably would have either run into a sand drag or just ended.  A set of buffer stops would risk suddenly stopping any runaways so they jack-knifed and went onto the main line. 

There have been several accidents over the years when a runaway train has demolished a signal box. 

A Jubilee backing out of St. Pancras did just that and took the concrete stop block into Dock Junction signal box (either that or the tender vaulted the stop block but it didn't do much for the box anyway). I think there was a recently published photo taken by Peter Townsend off a roof at Kings Cross Top Shed in one of the steam magazines.

Hello,

PS the small structure at the bottom right hand of the picture is a water tower

Would this mean a locomotive without crew whilst watering was being carried out and therefore the reason for a trap/catch? A runaway in such a case would not reach a very high spead before running off the track as shown.

trustytrev.

• RMweb Premium

The short spur does make sense as somewhere to put locos for watering between workings.  However a steam loco wouuld not be left unnattended in such circumstances but there woould still have to be trap points to protect the main line once the loco had been signalled into the spur.  Perhaps there was regualr portion working into/out of this station with the spare loco stabled there ready to take the second portion out after the first portion had left.

I presume that the little circle on the track side of the watar tower represents a water crane as those could be anywhere in relation to the tower.

Jamie

• 1 month later...

Archived