American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

13 hours ago, Western Star said:

Seeing as I asked several weeks back, just what was the answer then?

Oh, I know!

One sees like Cyclops and the other is as blind as a bat.

I looked before I posted and I've just looked now and I can't see your question post. There's Jordan's original post, then his tumbleweed one and then one from Northroader where he mentions 'never mind the headlamp" Wierd

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Talltim said:

I looked before I posted and I've just looked now and I can't see your question post. There's Jordan's original post, then his tumbleweed one and then one from Northroader where he mentions 'never mind the headlamp" Wierd

OK, confused of the forums speaking.

Jordan asked the question about baldy some weeks back on another railway forum and, as here, there were no correct answers...  not even any answers.  I asked Jordan about the question in a PM and J provided an answer to me.

So when the same photos and question popped up here I thought that I ought to respond in some form.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Western Star said:

OK, confused of the forums speaking.

Jordan asked the question about baldy some weeks back on another railway forum and, as here, there were no correct answers...  not even any answers.  I asked Jordan about the question in a PM and J provided an answer to me.

So when the same photos and question popped up here I thought that I ought to respond in some form.

regards, Graham

LOL, all is explained!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Western Star said:

Oh dear, oh dear.  This is "really confused.com" trying to get the ducks in a line although I doubt that Jordan keeps ducks in his pond (maybe does not have a pond?).

The first time that I recall the photos that Jordan has posted was in a PM exchange between him and me... and I had to ask for the answer.  So no wonder that no one offered an answer, correct or otherwise, and no wonder that I thought that maybe someone ought to have responded to the question.  Clearly I am confused and need to get my insurance checked, worse I have confused Jordan!

We shall get back to reality sometime soon.

regards, Graham

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Returning to the chaos on the layout, as opposed to the chaos of memories real & imagined....

The third, "disused" track has been added to what will be the grade crossing on 148th Street, and also a start made on the wood strip edges for the filler to be spread to. 

20220608_214159.thumb.jpg.702cf11d697238c243a4c8fc63e61e82.jpg

The fact the Main has all ties in place here is testament to the original plan which was to have a crossing over the branch & the road then turn to go between the tracks towards the yard at the far end, as it did on the preceding HO version, but there just wasn't the space in O, so after finishing the track laying I decided the road would just cross both tracks here. Now there's evidence of another, long abandoned track, giving a sense of some history to the layout and signs of the cut backs & rationalisation that is part of the modern rail scene, on both sides of The Pond.

• Like 8

This 'disused rails in crossing' idea is something I've done before, on my very first US O scale layout & 'Mk1' version of Portway Terminal (never finished, of course!!)

Here the rear track has been "lifted" beyond the crossing, and a pair of wheelstops fitted just before it to close off the spur before it. Track was old Lima set track.

2040215115_Portway1004.thumb.jpg.b5028032f9948ee60e97800c53c1a9c7.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a bit more work on the 148th St grade crossing.

Square section balsa wood strips have been glued to the rails to form the edge of the road. Today a first skim for the road has been applied, using an old tub of tiling grout, well mixed with a bit more water added.

20220620_161512.thumb.jpg.0c4ca8ab4d1048df5dd2a23376fd7e0d.jpg

Once it's dry a second skim will be smoothed on top, and the two sections between the active rail tracks filled in too.

I use a thin metal 'continental filling knife' and an old plasterer's trowel to apply, spread & smooth the grout. The trowel might seem like overkill but is good for the large areas that need levelling. As a builder aquaintance of mine once said - "Don't be afraid of big tools". 😉

Stop sniggering at the back... 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...

Oooh, long time no update!! 😬🙄😳

A combination of Life, the Universe & a rather warm loft have held up progress on the Portway Terminal recently, I'm afraid.

However, a bit of Bargain Hunting has been going on, and recently I got these two beauties...

The Portway Heritage train continues to grow, now with body courtesy of ebay & trucks courtesy of Jason Dickie, for a grand sum of about £25 we have ourselves a proper coach.

20220822_203839.jpg.15d14d1216938d2eb4cdef80d553ac76.jpg

It's an old Walthers kit, metal sides, ends & trucks, and wooden roof. Basic but nice interior detail too....

20220822_203932.jpg.9b73b962f5902716837c7c4d10e8eb7d.jpg

The gangway at one end is a neat model itself, and sprung.

20220822_203916.jpg.e8cfec25ea7a8b3bfcb0775293063174.jpg

The one the other end is a bit crackered, though. No couplers are yet fitted, and I need to source securing screws for the trucks, the body is just 'perched' for now.

20220822_203908.jpg.309463760490fee2ef3a7ae7bf3d2a47.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Nice job Jordan. It may be an old kit but it makes a good model with the right TLC.

I can imagine the loft did get a little warm. Any trouble with rails expanding?

Don

Second beauty, as alluded to in the last post....

20220822_204112.jpg.87a4b33a8da06a8dce163ad8a90ebc7c.jpg

20220822_204054.jpg.8eae47bf5d86b64face8725e854d868d.jpg

The observant amongst you will note that this loco is neither red & white, or candy apple red, or has 'SOO LINE' on it anywhere. So what's going on???!!!

This is my attempt to depict the Portway Terminal in the modern, post-2000 Era, interchanging with a modern loco in a modern livery.

The Pedantic will be able to shoot lots of holes in the credibility of this plan. This loco was only painted like this in early 2007. Before that it was in a very tatty Santa Fe silver/red scheme. The most recent photos I've seen of it are from about 2013 IIRC, so it may not even be currently in service any more!! It seems to have spent most of it's life in California, Texas and Arizona - desert territory most unlike Minnesota!! But the BNSF does go to Minnesota these days, so maybe on the date my layout is set - June 31st (whatever the year!!) - just maybe no. 516 was paying a visit....

Anyway for me it's the most up-to-date loco I now own, and sets a fine contrast with the Portway's RS3 & motley collection of Plymouths. It is DCC Sound, and was an ebay Bargain won for a few tenners less than £200. 🥳🤩🤩🤩

Gotta love US O Scale!!!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Re rail expansion, I only found one problem, on a curved rail of one of the switches, which didn't have many spikes behind it. A couple more spikes & it was ok. There may have been more, but I only really ran the layout once, for a bit. It was too hot for me otherwise.

Of course, for some of my track, it could be hard to tell if it was distorted, as it looks like that anyway....!!!

20220717_161439.jpg.0cdf1c0170b497ce1013a155d5d9f96b.jpg

20220717_161358.jpg.56489ff64d584b6b6fd7a15a993e8cfd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The Pedantic will be able to shoot lots of holes in the credibility of this plan. This loco was only painted like this in early 2007. Before that it was in a very tatty Santa Fe silver/red scheme. The most recent photos I've seen of it are from about 2013 IIRC, so it may not even be currently in service any more!!

Quick search found this picture from 2019, appears to have been repainted

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/697610/

And this site says it is being rebuilt be GE

https://www.thedieselshop.us/BNSF.HTML

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I was able to find a bit of 'tinkering time' today, so did some work on the Walthers coach.

The trucks were very noisy - just pinpoint axles running directly in the whitemetal cast sideframes. So today I dis-assembled them, & drilled out the holes for brass bearings. Checked the wheel back-to-backs, and put them together again, with some oil in the bearings. The trucks are a very simple design that allow for equalising, so all wheels stay on the track, ideal for my track! I also sourced screws & washers to fit the trucks to the body.

Kadee 805s have been fitted, they screwed easily but firmly into the wooden floor.

I only had to do one of the trucks all over again when it caused a short on the layout!! I'd quite forgotten to ensure the wheelsets had the insulated wheel on the same side - D'oh!!

It runs better now, but is not free-rolling by any means, so two Plymouths manage it better than just one. Here the complete Heritage train departs Portway Center.

20220825_214527.jpg.9cddb470ec03afb06c10cbfa3137a4d8.jpg

And on the rear caboose porch, Laurel and Hardy still cling on for dear life....

20220825_214640.jpg.6b77044b77a90572a421dd77fb52cdea.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6

I have a confession to make regarding the BNSF Dash-8 loco! On first try out of the box, although the sounds & lights worked, the engine wouldn't move. It was one of those sinking "Uh-oh!!" moments.

It wasn't listed as a non-runner on ebay, but the seller had said it was untested. Further communication revealed it came from a collector who didn't run his locos.

The CVs were interesting, too - CV2 read "0", CV5 read "1"! Changing CV5 to 255 had no effect. Next step was today - get the body off & check the trucks. The one motor could be spun quite easily, the other seemed very stiff. Strip down revealed the drive axle was clogged up with almost solid grease. A clean up, fresh oil & reassembly and all is good. 👌😁

I went for a four-axle unit so that it can negotiate the rough track at Portway Center when exchanging trains with the Short Line.

20220825_213802.jpg.a38bb8473f88092581b2d77f6f723f7d.jpg

Our local railfan captures the test run on film (must get him a digital camera!!)

20220825_213810.jpg.d66bbdc34a919ef508ac5a0530625f58.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A few quick photos to demonstrate an interchange move on the layout...

The Short Line brings a train to the Interchange

20220901_190319.jpg.2c64bda02c40f67ca341befa61ed4fbe.jpg

.The RS3 pulls past the yard & backs the outbound cars into the siding, leaving the Caboose on the branch, which it returns to whilst awaiting the inbound train.

20220901_190454.jpg.80cbfe950f9ecacad2a7ea77ba94e8f3.jpg

The inbound Transfer arrives from BNSF's Northtown Yard in Minneapolis.

20220901_190642.jpg.8c8b0b01764d18fe5c2e1f5253ba04fb.jpg

It pulls into the siding & couples to the outbound cars, which it then shoves out of the yard, pausing to uncouple from the inbounds once they are safely in the hole.

20220901_190718.jpg.5de731084235b8cfa43c3042b3b2f186.jpg

Finally the BNSF loco comes back through on the Main, & will return long hood leading to Northtown Yard

20220901_190913.jpg.72b2705df0e54477f7ed7ae132d03b1c.jpg

Once the outbound train has gone all that remains is for the Portway's RS3 to fetch the inbound cars from the siding & shove them with the Caboose leading down the branch to switch them into the Shortside Industrial Park a few miles down the line.😁

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks chaps!!

What I do find is that as this layout is so unfinished, there's quite a few bits of it I've not really photographed much, if at all, and new views are often thrown up. The south end of Portway Center depot is a case in point.
BNSF 516 pokes it's nose into the view at the back of the depot....

20220902_164920.jpg.fb7be2b8a9ecfd227d101a7f29b2bdf8.jpg

The grounded boxcar is used as a stores by the Short Line. Old Abe knows he left the whatsaname he needs in it, but where??!!

20220902_164934.jpg.28901fb8af49228b71772ae8baa126e8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Donw said:

This layout is so full of atmosphere.

Don

I know what I 'see' is how I want the layout to look - eventually. Then I post photos & see the stark, unfinished reality, and wonder if it compares to other well known US layouts on here that are scenically complete and do get close to that "is it real or model?" question.

But then 'atmosphere' is an elusive component of a layout. You can't buy it, can't glue it on, and it doesn't come automatically with technically perfect models. So I think that to say a layout has atmosphere is one of the highest compliments that can be paid. Thanks, Don, much appreciated. 👍

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1