American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

OK, I'll risk being shouted at by UP and PRR fans and others, but the other day I was watching a great vid:

and apart from the boring old F-unit (just trying to make everyone else shout) I got the other memories flooding back:  ageing, undercoat only old diesels (GP30) ... second-hand big RR diesels nicely weathered (and those FB-2 trucks under the MoW liveried CSX U23B), or being restored (OK the nicely restored Clinchfield F-unit) ....  Choose your favourite mixes, can fit in 'available space'.  And an extra main-line for your shortline to interchange modern(?) loads with local big railway (always fancied 2-railing somebody's no longer wanted MTH NS SD70M.  

HNY

Jason

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jasond said:

apart from the boring old F-unit (just trying to make everyone else shout)

OI..!!!! (yes I'll bite!! 🤣 )

Boring?? Go wash your mouth out, Sir!

Anyway never mind how imaculate the outside of that F-Unit is, the engine room looks pretty spiffy as well. I swear someone's been round with a duster & polish in there!! 😎👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/01/2023 at 22:48, Dava said:

One of these would be my choice as a shortline steam loco.

image.png.82bed82ceb09d6ab2bb196a074edcf8d.pngThis one is being restored by the https://www.industrialrails.org/ also on Facebook. Larger locos of this type were used as switchers by the PRR and B&O (I have a K16a) but some like this one were sold into industrial or shortline service.

Dava

You have reminded me that at one time I did have an Atlas 0-4-0 steamer quite like that one!! It was N gauge & ran superbly. Here it is on my very first U.S. layout, "Shortside Yard"*, built in 1989. The whole layout was a massive 2ft x 7.5inches in size....

20200701_102858.jpg.d7f0307a89738e48e00e7d12ae9261c8.jpg

000023533824.Jpeg.ff9e2afd6b8e411d4a6cebae18662bdc.Jpeg

000023535872.Jpeg.5d25d3f25f5c68bd1110dc442b7a5a3f.Jpeg

* Yes, I have brought back the name Shortside Yard on my current layout, as the name of the Industrial Park & spurs, which are, of course, on the long side of the layout.  Makes sense to me. 🙂

Ok, it's just my silly sense of humour.... 🙄🤦‍♂️

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Years ago I bought a LifeLike Pennsy 0-4-0 switcher for my son’s Ho trainset, still got it but I was able to acquire this pair of B&O C16/a switchers from the US, posed here on Coxheath Sidings as a demo track. Neither had been more than test run. This year they need a proper shortline to run on and the C16A (tender) needs a lower amp motor if it’s ever to have DCC and a paint job when I have the courage. When I started in US O scale it was going to be diesel only, then a token steam loco, but I like these heavy brutes. 

Dava
EC899F57-8A8F-4988-9DE3-91E921DA6FEC.jpeg.562d18cd055da28fe4b6645056446fbd.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent talk of steam locos on this Thread, there is currently an Atlas 0-6-0 2-rail DCC one on UK Ebay at the moment, very keenly priced, too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204221191311

Although slightly tempted, I'm cautious because I know that a short-wheelbase 0-6-0 with all drivers flanged will struggle on my 'normal' track, never mind the rough stuff!! It happened with my Plymouths when I thought I'd be clever & replace the centre blind axles with flanged wheels.

Plus, it is "only" an 0-6-0, and I'd be rather more tempted by a Mikado 2-8-2, partly because in the UK that was quite a rare wheel configuration over the years. I know Weaver did a 2-8-0 with both inner drivers blind - I saw one once - a quick google suggests they did a 2-8-2 as well. So sitting tight for now!!

• Friendly/supportive 5

Weaver followed the made in USA diecast 2-8-0 up with a 4-6-2.  It wasn't as well liked because it wasn't sprung like the 2-8-0, apparently price was a problem.  If they did a 2-8-2 (I found some 4-8-2s) they would have had them done to a lower volume in the Far East, so initially a noticeably higher price than those diecasts.

Moving the feedwater heater to the smokebox door would have made it a Maryland & Pennsylvania lookalike....

Jason

Edited by jasond
I said it was a 4-6-0 first! Jordan's right about the brass PRR 2-8-2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jasond said:

If they did a 2-8-2...

I found this picture on the web. Looks like all drivers flanged, and a bigger loco all round than the 2-8-0 which I think I've read was rather "generic" in appearance.

It was the blind center drivers on the 2-8-0 caught my notice, as it would stand some chance of getting round my 36" radius curves - possibly!! I know my Minerva Class 14 - in essence an 0-8-0 wheelbase - won't even rail properly on those curves, let alone run through them under power, so I think the Weaver 2-8-2 here would be a non-starter.

weaver-scale-rail-pennsylvania-1s-8_1_dbb65eef75b5d56b51dd44443ebe7ec6.jpg.dfae32f77a5b21af536eddfbc3976e3e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, DanielB said:

Jordan, if you are after another Atlas Plymouth, I sold mine to Sophie late last year. She might still have it, as well as a bunch of my weathered freight cars.

Hi Dan, & welcome back!! I'm not after another Plymouth, I'm very good at resisting temptation for those. My fingers did slip on the keyboard recently though 😉 😇 & I have another Atlas/Roco F9 on the way to me as I type.

With DCC sound & NWSL wheels, it was an offer rather too good to resist. The Soo Line didn't have any F9s, of course, so cunning plans are afoot. Before Mr Northroader gets all excited, the plan doesn't involve razor saws.... 😝🤣

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Hi Dan, & welcome back!! I'm not after another Plymouth, I'm very good at resisting temptation for those. My fingers did slip on the keyboard recently though 😉 😇 & I have another Atlas/Roco F9 on the way to me as I type.

With DCC sound & NWSL wheels, it was an offer rather too good to resist. The Soo Line didn't have any F9s, of course, so cunning plans are afoot. Before Mr Northroader gets all excited, the plan doesn't involve razor saws.... 😝🤣

I find I can resist anything, apart from temptation 😀.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2023 at 17:37, jasond said:

Hi Dan, are you still active in O-scale, showing your layout?  Any exhibitions coming up?

Jason

Hi Jason,

Not at the moment - I sold Piedmont Blues and all my O scale stuff to Sophie to fund renovations on my layout room.

The Pandemic really stopped me in my tracks and made me re-evaluate my hobby world. I decided to settle on a home layout I can work on at my own leisure without the stress and commitments of the exhibition circuit. It's still in the planning stages at the moment but I'm hoping once I've settled on a trackplan for The Little Layout Company to do the boards, tracklaying and electrics. That way I can focus on what I enjoy the most - scenery, structures and locos/rolling stock.

I still have Operation Dark Winter in HO, but understandably I'm not expecting it to get much of a draw at exhibitions due to the theme and the unfortunate timing of when it was build. :D

I have been considering a small On30 layout though, so whether that sees the light of day I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry for the recent lack of updates; there is some work 'in progress' involving the aforementioned Atlas F9 I didn't know I wanted, will post something soon.

In the meantime I found this model railroad on YouTube....

An affectionate mickey-take of the Soo Line, 'Bandit' paint jobs and everything!!

In other news, did anyone else know about this "hidden gizmo" in the NCE SB3a Booster, that affects track voltage? I only found this info recently, my booster now needs investigating, it might be why some of my locos seem somewhat slow in notch 8....

885496352_Screenshot_20230205_002315_HancomOfficeS.jpg.afc110f5b2b97dcb50b72928ce34192e.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Wow, thanks Jordan, I knew different manufacturers chose different output voltages, but I didn't realise I would have to read the manual.  I've got some new second-hand just in (yes, I know, I've said I'm not doing that any more, but all those boxes and trays in the garage).

The DCC non-sound / single motor Overland UP 2-10-2 went round the local club in Trowbridge with no probs, but the DCC sound / twin-motor Atlas diesels just crawled.  The club's Gaugemaster is probably 14-volt(?) fixed output, so I'll have to look out my NCE 20-year old and see if it's got a blue wheel !

1 hour ago, jasond said:

but I didn't realise I would have to read the manual. 

The annoying thing is - this nugget of info ISN'T in the NCE manual..!!! 😡🤬

I found it on an independant website somewhere. I took a screenshot of the page so I have it for easy reference.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

For info I got this Weaver 2-8-0 off ebay a few years ago, just over £200, 2 rail no sound.

A very nice runner, good puller (20+ cars), very heavy brass body, middle 2 drivers not flanged.

1698662114_Weaver2801.jpg.310d3f4a6f5e0fdc9297e62b0c541c9c.jpg

1268107106_Weaver2806.jpg.b1fc3a1e5e030052f55fcfbad3a286ec.jpg

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

For info I got this Weaver 2-8-0 off ebay a few years ago, just over £200, 2 rail no sound.

A very nice runner, good puller (20+ cars), very heavy brass body, middle 2 drivers not flanged.

***drool***drool***

That's the type I saw, although not that model exactly - different road name IIRC & my local model shop wanted over £400 for it!! (also 12v DC)

But the blind middle drivers are why I think it would stand a chance of getting round my 36" curves. I don't suppose you got any paperwork with yours that gave a minimum radius?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

***drool***drool***

That's the type I saw, although not that model exactly - different road name IIRC & my local model shop wanted over £400 for it!! (also 12v DC)

But the blind middle drivers are why I think it would stand a chance of getting round my 36" curves. I don't suppose you got any paperwork with yours that gave a minimum radius?

I'll have a look.

I use Peco O (Bullhead) track, and have some pretty sharp curves and have no problems  I'm sure it would sail round 36" radius. Keep looking on ebay, some good stuff comes up but it's the luck of the draw with bidding. 

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, I have vowed to stop spending but this week a set of five Weaver matched "Erie Lackawanna" coaches appeared on ebay UK. £200 + £10 P/P, I snapped them up. Seemingly brand new and all fitted with plastic scale wheels but 3 rail type couplers. They arrived yesterday and run superbly behind my Twin Rivarossi FM C Liner Pennsylvania diesels. I had to move a couple of signals on sharp curves. I'll keep the 3 rail couplers between the cars, I have fitted a loco compatible coupler on one end of the baggage car.

1566000119_s-l1600(1).jpg.26070fadf1373d54225da0c08a366144.jpg

That's it now  - wallet closed (till next time) !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1