Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

A bit early to judge maybe, but if the driving and pony wheels are not bevell rim, the Hornby Crosti will merely be a characature like their Stanier 2-6-4T. One way round it would be the put the Hornby body on a Bachmann chassis.

Any chance of you ever saying something positive about any Hornby product?

Any chance of you ever saying something positive about any Hornby product?

You call yourself old harry so isn't it time you matured? Having read what you've posted elsewhere re Hornby ignoring RMweb and withdrawing advertising from Warners, you are clearly not happy mixing with folk who know what they're talking about. So why hang around making trite remarks?

You call yourself old harry so isn't it time you matured? Having read what you've posted elsewhere re Hornby ignoring RMweb and withdrawing advertising from Warners, you are clearly not happy mixing with folk who know what they're talking about. So why hang around making trite remarks?

Why not answer the question instead of just trying to be condescending?  If you are so concerned about total fidelity  why are you interested in OO gauge models with the incorrect gauge/scale combination. Oh sorry that was Hornby's fault too.

Edited by oOld Harry 666

• RMweb Premium

I thought according to Model Rail that they were doing the crosti version then the later version with the gubbins removed . R3273 is described as Crosti 9f and R3274 as rebuilt Crosti. It does say in their narrative that it will be supplied with "conventional blast pipe"just adding to the total confusion in the Hornby range it further goes onto state that the model is completely new , meaning new chassis as well. But why then would it be in "Railroad" range. I thought the whole reason it was in there was because it used existing 9f chassis which was felt not to be up to modern standards. So now we have a Railroad model priced at normal range prices £117 . Why? What a farce in marketing or has somebody got it wrong?

Ok , there are a number of people not knowing what I'm meaning here. I suppose I was covering two points with one post

Firstly was to answer unknown warrior who was looking for a rebuilt Crosti in the future. I pointed out that according to Model Rail he was going to get the rebuilt version of the Crosti he wanted

Secondly I queried why this model was in the Railroad range . Previously the assumption was that the model used existing 9F chassis which is not so well detailed, therefore this model had to be in the Railroad Range. However Model Rail pointed out that the model is all new. So if going to all that bother why not put it in the main range. The price is similar to main range DoG and P2 yet this is Railroad.i went onto say that this indicated the appalling mess that Hornbys marketing was in,where you really don't know what specification new models will be. Hope this clarifies

Until we have real evidence to the contrary, I disagree. If it is CG, then it is beyond Hornby's previously demonstrated ability in this area. About the only thing that is clear is that the images have taken a pass through Photoshop (or equivalent) with some mixed results.

If I may gently interject here, I'm with HornbyFan on this one.

If you look at the following CAD image of the recently announced Airfix New-Tool 1/48 Folland Gnat, HERE, you'll see that it shares the same "house style" as the Crosti 9F image. The major difference being the indicated colour of the plastic, pale grey for the Gnat and black with silver to indicate the black plastic and metal parts of the Crosti.

Here's a sample of some of the other CAD for more of the Airfix 2014 range:

Blenheim Mk IVF

Dornier Do 17Z

Bomber Command Gift Set.

You'll see that they all share the same "look" as the 9F image. When the initial images were shown on Britmodeller, people thought that the Dornier would be a 1/48 scale kit, judging from the CAD, but it's been announced as a 1/72 one.

Hope that helps?

Mike. :)

Hi 

I have been saying this for along time and have put it up on here in the past, Hornby have moved production to India, you only have to look at the new models that are coming out and they scream Airfix manufacturing process.

This is why Hornby moved to this design cleaver, as India can not produces the models to the same level that was done in China and so came up with this buzz word.

This is one of the reasons why the QC has taken a noise dive on the new models, as the Indian worker are not as well trained to do what the Chinese could do, But maybe as time go's on they will hopefully  get a lot better at doing this.

If they have done what i think they have done i hope it pans out for them, or it could get to the point that that Hornby will end up being a by word for poor design and poor workmanship and will lose out to other manufactures. 

I hope not.

Darren01

Ok , there are a number of people not knowing what I'm meaning here. I suppose I was covering two points with one post

Firstly was to answer unknown warrior who was looking for a rebuilt Crosti in the future. I pointed out that according to Model Rail he was going to get the rebuilt version of the Crosti he wanted

Secondly I queried why this model was in the Railroad range . Previously the assumption was that the model used existing 9F chassis which is not so well detailed, therefore this model had to be in the Railroad Range. However Model Rail pointed out that the model is all new. So if going to all that bother why not put it in the main range. The price is similar to main range DoG and P2 yet this is Railroad.i went onto say that this indicated the appalling mess that Hornbys marketing was in,where you really don't know what specification new models will be. Hope this clarifies

Thanks Legend. I have reread my Model Rail and see that the post Crosti version will be on offer. It was just that there are views of the Crosti version with and without smoke deflector on the side exhaust. Perhaps they will supply the deflector as an add on in "the bag of bits." This would make sense as they ran with or without for only two or three years, as opposed to being in store. We may get more clarity when the next Hornby Magazine with the promised special supplement comes out next week. Or perhaps when the Catalogue appears in due course. If my memory serves me correctly it is usually available at The Stafford Show at the beginning of February.

• RMweb Gold

It really isn't rocket science to judge by the looks of the images that it is a CG image

You can disagree to this but I am sure by the images that it isn't a EP sample. 

well whether its an EP or GC example its a goddam ugly looking engine!!

the class 70 of its day

AFAIK all the rebuilds were marked as "9F" above the cabside numbers and they seemed to work turn and turn about with the other 9Fs e.g. I have seen photos of them on the Long Meg to Widnes anhydrite trains (how often did an 8F or WD show up on those trains - Tin hat ready!).

Put it on! There's an article titled ``Firing the `Long Meg``` in Steam Days for April 1999. It`s personal memories of a Kingmoor fireman who worked the anhydrite trains in the last years of steam haulage. Quote - `Until the arrival of the Riddles 9F 2-10-0s at Kingmoor, 8F 2-8-0s were the usual power on the quarry turns ....`. The first 9Fs were transferred to Kingmoor during 1964 (on a visit there in September 1963, I had seen only 1 Brit and 2 9Fs, none of them allocated to Kingmoor - very different from the situation two or three years later). Kingmoor was closed at the end of 1967, so 9Fs were first choice for these trains for less than 4 years. The article describes a run with 48283, and contains a picture of 48090 on one of these trains during the time covered. And never mind an 8F - he also mentions a run in 1967 where a crew had a 7MT - Britannia 70035.

To be fair, these three trips were all disasters, and the author says the 9Fs `... were probably the only (steam) locomotive to really master the southbound Long Meg`, but they only worked these trains for a relatively short time, and not exclusively during that time.  

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He has in fact followed your advice and departed this forum hence....in somewhat of a hissy fit,Larry.

• Like 1

well whether its an EP or GC example its a goddam ugly looking engine!!

the class 70 of its day

On the contrary Jim.!!!!!

A magnificent locomotive in my opinion, far more character about them than a standard 9F, in all their forms.

An absolute definite purchase for me, something I have hoped would be released sooner or later.

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the contrary Jim.!!!!!

A magnificent locomotive in my opinion, far more character about them than a standard 9F, in all their forms.

An absolute definite purchase for me, something I have hoped would be released sooner or later.

Bob.

I didnt say i didnt like them though!!

• Like 1

Could some kind souls help fill in some gaps in my knowledge regarding the Crosti 9F's please.?  ( or is it 8F ?)

When did the conversion back from the Crosti boilers start, how quickly did it take place amongst the 10 locos, some dates of the conversions would be appreciated if available.

When did they start to receive the smoke deflector for the side chimney.

Thanks....Bob

Edited by 250BOB

If I may gently interject here, I'm with HornbyFan on this one.

If you look at the following CAD image of the recently announced Airfix New-Tool 1/48 Folland Gnat, HERE, you'll see that it shares the same "house style" as the Crosti 9F image. The major difference being the indicated colour of the plastic, pale grey for the Gnat and black with silver to indicate the black plastic and metal parts of the Crosti.

Here's a sample of some of the other CAD for more of the Airfix 2014 range:

Blenheim Mk IVF

Dornier Do 17Z

Bomber Command Gift Set.

You'll see that they all share the same "look" as the 9F image. When the initial images were shown on Britmodeller, people thought that the Dornier would be a 1/48 scale kit, judging from the CAD, but it's been announced as a 1/72 one.

Hope that helps?

Mike. :)

Thank you so much for the added explanation M.Riddle :) Much appreciated. I tried explaining it to frobisher, I gave clear evidence that it is indeed a CG image. It's now upto him to either believe us or not. I did my part and gave what seems like solid evidence re: the coal load, greyish body (instead of black), white coupling rods instead of silvery) and floating wheels. :P

Thanks once again.

Could some kind souls help fill in some gaps in my knowledge regarding the Crosti 9F's please.?  ( or is it 8F ?)

When did the conversion back from the Crosti boilers start, how quickly did it take place amongst the 10 locos, some dates of the conversions would be appreciated if available.

When did they start to receive the smoke deflector for the side chimney.

Thanks....Bob

Here you are Bob:

Delivery date.      Deflector fitted.      Stored awaiting conversion.         Conversion to conventional arrangement.      withdrawn.

92020                     18.05.55                11.55                     05.59-03.61                                      06.61                                                         10.67.

92021                     18.05.55                11.55                     04.59-04.60                                      06.60                                                         11.67

92022                     18.05.55                02.56                     05.59-03.62                                      06.62                                                         11.67

92023                     20.05.55                02.56                     04.59-06.61                                      09.61                                                         11.67 

92024                     06.06.55                02.56                     08.59-01.60                                      02.60                                                         11.67

92025                     17.06.55                12.55                     04.59-02.60                                      04.60                                                         11.67

92026                     17.06.55                12.55                     not stored                                         09.59                                                         11.67

92027                     25.06.55                12.55                     04.59-08.60                                     10.60                                                          08.67

92028                     06.07.55                02.56                            08.59                                        12.59                                                          10.66

92029                     08.07.55                02.56                     06.59-06.60                                     08.60                                                          11.67

Source: British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives, Vol 4, RCTS.

• RMweb Gold

They have also stated that the tender chassis will be New too, personally I would use the existing Brit chassis, but as it's pre Design Clever it may be cheaper for them to retool in the long term.

I'm not sure they have a BR1C tender body either. So a new coal load/tender back will be needed..