Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

They have also stated that the tender chassis will be New too, personally I would use the existing Brit chassis, but as it's pre Design Clever it may be cheaper for them to retool in the long term.

I'm not sure they have a BR1C tender body either. So a new coal load/tender back will be needed..

There's always the BR1b off the standard 4 4-6-0, all Crosti's were supplied new with BR1b's, with only the first 5 swapping in later life, most of those 5 having BR1c's which means just altering the position of the coal divider.

There's always the BR1b off the standard 4 4-6-0, all Crosti's were supplied new with BR1b's, with only the first 5 swapping in later life, most of those 5 having BR1c's which means just altering the position of the coal divider.

Of course, with Hornby's decentralised manufacturing, maybe the tool they'd like to use is in a different plant? Intriguingly, maybe it will lead Hornby to organise their factories along the same lines as the British Railways regional workshops? All the ex-LNER tools in one plant, the Standards in another, for instance?

The Nim.

HornbyFAN, on 30 Dec 2013 - 14:08, said:

It really isn't rocket science to judge by the looks of the images that it is a CG image.

As someone who works professionally in the medium of CG imagery on a routine basis, I'll let that condescending remark slip with almost no notice...

To add to that the simulated coal load, extremely whitesh connecting rods & wheels and the tender wheels hanging in the air are a complete give-away - There lies your evidence. If it was indeed a EP sample there would have been better images and the colour of the shell will be completely different.

Check the brass safety valves - you'll notice that they aren't both in focus. That's what tips me towards this being a physical model.

EPs are produced in a variety of colours, they aren't always grey... You'll note that the 700 EP is also in black...

The coal load could just be exactly what it appears to be in the material it was produced in - coal just never looks right unless it is black ;)

The environment and lighting is a saturated white, therefore reflective surfaces being whitish is no great surprise.

In a plain white environment it's very hard to definitively say whether said tender wheels are actually floating or not, or whether the shadows there are not as expected.

Your observations are not definitive evidence regardless of whether they are correct or not (to be clear we have a difference of opinion here and let's leave it at that for now). What would be definitive evidence one way or another would be a note concerning the provenance of the images.

It is a well edited CG image.

Er, no it's a particularly poorly edited CG image given some of the faults you list which should then be trivial to have got right given the relative effort and care undertaken with other aspects.

M.Riddell, on 30 Dec 2013 - 19:45, said:

If I may gently interject here, I'm with HornbyFan on this one.

If you look at the following CAD image of the recently announced Airfix New-Tool 1/48 Folland Gnat, HERE, you'll see that it shares the same "house style" as the Crosti 9F image. The major difference being the indicated colour of the plastic, pale grey for the Gnat and black with silver to indicate the black plastic and metal parts of the Crosti.

Hope that helps?

Cheers for that Mike. Still not convinced the Crosti isn't a physical model (but as I said, until we have some definitive evidence this remains a difference of opinion), but clearly it shows that Hornby do now have plenty of in house (or outsourced) capability in the area of pre-visualisation. The Airfix models are more clearly CG certainly (the glazing is the biggest give away).

The clear thing is that there is now a house style for this form of presentation (and the most definitely physical model of the 700 (I think, the new 0-6-0 tender loco in any case) is presented this way too).

• RMweb Premium

Well I have pre-ordered one, I must say it is difficult to say if it is a CG or an EP, it really does not matter at this stage. My inclination is that it is a CG as the colour is a bit too even and the DOF is a little flat, but I am not going to argue about it, mine will be suitably weathered when it arrives anyway so it will not look anything like the shot. 

• RMweb Gold

Oops! Blame the typo on too many mince pies :lol: Of course I meant 1B, wasn't aware they'd done one for the 4-6-0. The 1C is the more common 9F tender in Hornby ' s repertoire.

....and one ex-Crosti ended up with a BR1G.

Cheers for that Mike. Still not convinced the Crosti isn't a physical model (but as I said, until we have some definitive evidence this remains a difference of opinion), but clearly it shows that Hornby do now have plenty of in house (or outsourced) capability in the area of pre-visualisation. The Airfix models are more clearly CG certainly (the glazing is the biggest give away).

The clear thing is that there is now a house style for this form of presentation (and the most definitely physical model of the 700 (I think, the new 0-6-0 tender loco in any case) is presented this way too).

Nae worries, Frobisher - glad I could help!

Mike. :)

Thanks for the info Unknown Warrior, regarding the dates etc.,of the Crosti bolier conversions .  It was really useful and helps me form a better picture in my mind of the Crosties and their travels.

Just a bit more help if possible please.

Up to the time of their conversion, were they exclusively all shedded at Wellingborough.?

And immediatley after their conversion, where did they go, was it back to Wellingborough.?

The reason I ask, is that sometime between 1958 and 1961, when I was 10 to 13 years old, I saw a Crosti heading North out of Crewe, where I lived, on the WC main line.  But I dont know if it was an unrebuilt or a rebuilt version....other than it was most unusual, and stuck in my mind as a youngster.

Thanks.................Bob.

Most heavy maintenance was carried out at Crewe, so I guess it's possible it could have been any of the class you saw working back to its home shed

I saw most of the class during my Crewe works visits, which were every 3 or 4 weeks in '62 / '63......but only really vaguely remember seeing one working and that was heading North from Crewe down the WC main line, 2 miles north of Crewe.........between 1958 and 1961.......could have been either type, but I suspect probably rebuilt.

Wow, that books expensive.!!!

• Like 1

I'd hazard a guess at a running-in turn as up to October 1962 they were all still allocated to the 15 area. I saw all ten at Cricklewood shed ( 1962/63) as they were quite common on the Brent coal traffic.

Edited by bike2steam

Guest Riven Codex

For the 'full story' of the climax of this Wagnerian saga,go to the DoG thread and follow post191 onto the final histrionic fit.

Old Harry made a couple of points that were refreshingly different to the general "run of the mill" comments that frequently appear.

As for things Wagnerian, how about changing your stylus or, at least the record, as it seems to be, stuck, stuck, stuck in the same old groove.

Old Harry made a couple of points that were refreshingly different to the general "run of the mill" comments that frequently appear.

As for things Wagnerian, how about changing your stylus or, at least the record, as it seems to be, stuck, stuck, stuck in the same old groove.

And with you having asked for your original login to be deleted (on 24 March 2013) you are returning from MU to poke sticks for what reason?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Do please enlighten me as to exactly WHAT groove that might be? Otherwise,this seems like a bilious attack.You might like to look at the reaction of others to some of the points the lately departed gentleman made

FYI,my 'groove' concerns fair mindednes,common sense and ,above all,good manners.....sorely lacking in your posting

• Like 1

Pre-Heaters at dawn gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say I am a little lost with Hornby's philosophy regarding the Railroad range. It seems to be evolving into a more detailed, therefore more expensive range. I suppose the original thinking was to use older models from both Hornby & Lima stables. We are now seeing brand new tooled models entering the range probably the reason for the high price (for a Railroad model).

I have several Railroad 9F's, paid under £60 at Hattons, lovely locos, good runners & haulers, (even better with a bit of extra weight easily inserted in boiler)not a single problem with any of them. Also have several other Railroad locos (Patriot, Black 5's) - same comments apply.

I may be tempted with a crosti, but at nearly twice the price of recently bought 9F's, it is certainly a may. I'm sure it will be a fine loco though.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Pre-Heaters at dawn gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say I am a little lost with Hornby's philosophy regarding the Railroad range. It seems to be evolving into a more detailed, therefore more expensive range. I suppose the original thinking was to use older models from both Hornby & Lima stables. We are now seeing brand new tooled models entering the range probably the reason for the high price (for a Railroad model).

I have several Railroad 9F's, paid under £60 at Hattons, lovely locos, good runners & haulers, (even better with a bit of extra weight easily inserted in boiler)not a single problem with any of them. Also have several other Railroad locos (Patriot, Black 5's) - same comments apply.

I may be tempted with a crosti, but at nearly twice the price of recently bought 9F's, it is certainly a may. I'm sure it will be a fine loco though.

Brit15

I do agree with you, but if you consider the fact that a new Castle is now worth £148, then it's still good value. A crosti 9f to the castle standards would surely have increased the price beyond £150

I do agree with you, but if you consider the fact that a new Castle is now worth £148, then it's still good value. A crosti 9f to the castle standards would surely have increased the price beyond £150

I doubt it when the competition is charging £124.00 for a weathered 9F. Okay, so Hornby has a variant that Bachmann hasn't but some people would still make comparisons.

• RMweb Gold

I must say I am a little lost with Hornby's philosophy regarding the Railroad range. It seems to be evolving into a more detailed, therefore more expensive range.

Brit15

Hornby have stated publicly (interview with Roger Cranham and chats with SK at shows) they see RR as having 2 principal customer bases.

a/ Budget conscious modellers buying for children and/or themselves if on a tight budget

b/ Those who want a good base on which to work up something better themselves.

Hence we are seeing some things like Tornado and DoG in RR and 'main' versions and others like P2 in RR.

I believe there's meant to be some rebranding initiative this spring, so maybe they will be addressing this further.

I doubt it when the competition is charging £124.00 for a weathered 9F. Okay, so Hornby has a variant that Bachmann hasn't but some people would still make comparisons.

At this point yes, but we will need to see what Bachmann's prices will be on new production as the inflationary pressures will be bearing on them too

Well I,m convinced its a photo of an engineering prototype, to be made mostly from plastic unlike the 700 which is mostly die cast. If it was CG, you would normally either choose CAD (each part in a different colour) or you would go the whole hog and decorate it to show what the final item will exactly look like. The latter asks a lot of effort which would not be worth it.

On the other hand the images may have been tidied up in photoshop, taking out unwanted glares, background clutter etc, so your eye is on the model. ( the model is the hero of the shot after all).

I agree it looks more detailed than most railroad but clearly not up to Bachmanns 9F. Of course such an engine will have a very basic paint scheme unless they get their weathering act sorted out, but to date they have not been convincing here.

I,d say this was a true mid range model, not strictly railroad nor main range. Perhaps they need to start splitting the range into 3 parts now...

My decision to buy will be if one is numbered 92029, the only one to turn a wheel briefly on southern...