6x4 Starter layout

jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Been working on the station corner today. I've made some steps using my scalescenes prints and I'm really happy with the results - but I do need to 'bed in' the structures a bit to hide the gaps. I've placed my scenecraft station building in place but I'm not sure about it now - it seems to be the only stone building in the local area - they must have run out of red brick! - I might buy the medium station building from scalescenes as I am getting more confident in making card and paper stuff.

I have an airbrush and compressor coming from father Christmas so I hope to dirty things up a bit then. I might well experiment with some powders first though.

Here are the pics:

post-7097-046379100 1288458772_thumb.jpg

post-7097-078691000 1288458773_thumb.jpg

I've also started to brick the walls around the platforms - they also need work on the wall/platform meeting seam in places:

post-7097-083289600 1288458776_thumb.jpg

And to finish off for today I've put the first coat of black paint around the sides to present things a little better. More coats required!

post-7097-028895400 1288458775_thumb.jpg

I've cut down the side board around the station and I intend to put, you guessed it, red brick on the bare board:

post-7097-017481000 1288458771_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Quick question.

I have completed my freebie scalescenes station form the Hornby mag. I want to add some signs but as I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to real railway knowledge I have a question regarding the sign-age style for the era.

Ref the pics below: When did the colour regional signs disappear and the more modern white ones appear? I'm guessing it didn't happen overnight? I model mainly in the 70's BR blue era (even though my stock and engines are all over the place with regard to era!).

post-7097-000641700 1289641172_thumb.jpg

post-7097-070341600 1289641170_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Just whipping through this thread I feel it is a good example of how a truly fun layout can also be made to look quite excellent. RMWeb has a lot of fantastic scenes, many of them shot on layouts that are not much more than modules - usually because that's all the space available. You have managed to find a little bit more space, and have a layout that runs, has the entertainment attractions of a roundy - and yet is awash wih lovely vignettes. It helps that you have a sure hand with ballasting and scenery, of course, but the detailing is excellent, too.

Those who feel they haven't much space and cannot match the best that they see on RMWeb should look long and hard at what you have achieved. Inspiring!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A bit of progress.

I have greened up the bare corner and added the brickwork. I've also painted up two of my peco buffer stops.

I'm not 100% about it though - would the railway have allowed such a level of undergrowth near to the line? I might introduce some fencing from the end of the island platform behind the buffers.

post-7097-0-92781000-1295721136_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-54451700-1295721138_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-01716500-1295721140_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-36012900-1295721141_thumb.jpg

I have removed some of the scatter 'blasted' against the wall with hairspray. Why do you never notice these things until you add them to your post?

Cheers,

James

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to see you're having to sell this layout James - it's a lovely piece of work!

Thanks - I was reluctant, but to be fair if I want to try something else we haven't got the room.

I didn't want to advertise it here but since you brought it up - if anyone knows of a good home - I'm more interested in that than squeezing a few extra quid out of it.

Cheers,

James

Thanks - I was reluctant, but to be fair if I want to try something else we haven't got the room.

I didn't want to advertise it here but since you brought it up - if anyone knows of a good home - I'm more interested in that than squeezing a few extra quid out of it.

Cheers,

James

Wonderfull layout James, I am very interested in this layout at the asking price, I have got my mate who is on here to to contact you with my details. However can I ask you

what type of radius track work is it all, and is it peco steamline track? As my old layout had so many problems with my loco fleet. I have Bachmann and Heljan locos/units, so any help would

be great. When would you want to sell it etc, as it would be the end of March before I would be able to make the journey etc.

Regards John.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

I was very surprised to this thread on the first page tonight - you must have had to search deep down the lists to find it!

I did actually sell the layout in April last year and I have no idea how the new owner is getting on.

Looking back I wish I could have kept it but it just wasn't a practical size (note to self - better planning next time!).

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,

James

• 1 year later...

Hi James

Not sure if your still around.
I first saw this thread back in March and it inspired me into having a go at a model railway layout as opposed to a train set on the dining table.
My wife got me the Bachmann digital starter set for Christmas last year and I spent many a happy hour with the grandkids playing with it on the dining table.
After a while I had ideas about going back to my childhood and making a permanent layout.
I bought the PECO track plan book and as I only had 6x4 to play with decided on the Bredon layout.
Then I found your thread and bang, an idea was born. I then suffered computer problems and could not for the life of me find your thread again, until now.
I started to build my layout and as you can see from the photos, the track work and station are very much like yours although the scenery is different.
I still haven’t finished and sometimes wonder if I ever will.
The long term is to finish the layout and sell it on as I now have a 12x8 room to play with.
I have really enjoyed the modelling aspect although I doubt I will ever been able to scratch build.
All my buildings are Metcalf kits and the station and walls are scalescenes prints.

Track plan

post-21258-0-74493500-1387571206_thumb.jpg

Track laid

post-21258-0-79381300-1387571225_thumb.jpg

Wiring

post-21258-0-77850300-1387571232_thumb.jpg

Mimic panal

post-21258-0-92944300-1387571240_thumb.jpg

Full layout

post-21258-0-64754600-1387571262_thumb.jpg

Station

post-21258-0-92321900-1387571275_thumb.jpg

Hill

post-21258-0-59043900-1387571286_thumb.jpg

House

post-21258-0-83148000-1387571298_thumb.jpg

There will eventually be a garage and pub in the middle section and a street scene on the top section.

Still a long way to go but getting there slowly.
I would just like to say thanks for the idea and inspiration to have a go at this fascinating hobby.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Wow - thanks very much for letting me know about your efforts.

I am massively chuffed that my efforts inspired you to come up with your layout. It looks great and you have certainly put your own mark on the track layout.

I've since moved into end to end layouts but sometimes I still long for a round layout to just watch the trains go by.

I'm going to keep an eye on this one. Make sure you create your own layout thread - I'm sure your layout will inspire others too.

Regards,

James

• 1 year later...

Really sorry for the massive thread bump but can I say this is the most unique and best 6x4 layout I have ever seen! 

How well you have used space is unbelievable! 

I'm thinking of adapting your idea and making a steam layout set in the 50s!

Archived