Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a little bump to say it hasn't been forgotten.

I've been busy with New Bryford stuff for the last few weeks, but I've had the opportunity to set it up again to lay the last couple of points, inspection pits and board joints that are on the main RVEL site.

This is in readiness for measuring up for the buildings that wil probably be laser cut MDF shells with plastic sheet cladding, athough one or two will probably be full laser cut, including the brickwork courses.

Pics soon of the track.

I'm hoping to take one of the boards to the Wrecrail 2 event in August.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

I've ben busy with New Bryford stuff for the last few weeks, but I've had the opportunity to set it up again to lay the last couple of points, inspection pits and board joints that are on the main RVEL site.

This is in readiness for measuring up for the buildings that wil probably be laser cut MDF shells with plastic sheet cladding, athough one or two will probably be full laser cut, including the brickwork courses.

Pics soon of the track.

Cheers,

Mick

HI mick i was just wondering were and how do you go about laser cutting the MDF for the buildings it sounds like something right up my street for my next build towards the end of the year 

cheers ian 

• RMweb Premium

HI mick i was just wondering were and how do you go about laser cutting the MDF for the buildings it sounds like something right up my street for my next build towards the end of the year 

cheers ian 

Hi Ian,

I'm hoping to use Tim Horn's services for the buildings - his work can be viewed on Phil Eames' Calcutta Sidings layout amongst others. I don't think there's a thread for it on here, (there is on the DEMU forum) but I'm pretty certain that Tim has posted pics of his work on RMWeb

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I'm hoping to use Tim Horn's services for the buildings - his work can be viewed on Phil Eames' Calcutta Sidings layout amongst others. I don't think there's a thread for it on here, (there is on the DEMU forum) but I'm pretty certain that Tim has posted pics of his work on RMWeb

Cheers,

Mick

See

http://www.timhorn.co.uk

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2014 at 23:45, newbryford said:

I've ben busy with New Bryford stuff for the last few weeks, but I've had the opportunity to set it up again to lay the last couple of points, inspection pits and board joints that are on the main RVEL site.

Pics soon of the track.

Cheers,

Mick

Here's a few update pics with most of the track laid -it just needs the sidings by the EDU building and a couple at the "Derby" end.

DL8.jpg.1434f309ea0704e911196d5494130f5e.jpg

I've been having a play with some cardboard (and stock) to give me a feel for the size of buildings required.

Vehicle workshop on the right

DL4.jpg.47066116fd83822f7ceb0736a848a622.jpg

The main EDU building- I think it needs reducing in height

DL5.jpg.6ee0ab364640d308f5567af4724b425c.jpg

Looking back at the vehicles workshop

DL6.jpg.699c79ffddce94b706fbaf95cdfa7a6c.jpg

And a closer view of the EDU

DL7.jpg.e24260120a9d3692a3418272de603757.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

Popping up the cardboard to get a feel for the proportions a clever idea, and deciding if you like the dimensions before you invest in their build .....smart  :sungum:

.....looking a little yellow......Deadman's Lane / Recycling custard....... :jester:

Hi Mick, I like the cardboard mock ups. It really does give you an idea of what you are trying to achieve.

I will be interested to see how you go about making the buildings. I am a big fan of laser cutting and have used it a lot for Boxenby.

Looking good Sir.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2014 at 00:34, newbryford said:

And then cut the rail with a razor saw.

attachicon.giftrack10.jpg

The excess screw head will be ground away and cosmetic sleepers will be glued in to disguise the joint.

The other big task today was to cut out for the Peco inspection pits in the main EDU shed - pics later.

Cheers,

Mick

It's been awhile since the last update.

I've measured up for the larger buildings and will be progressing their production soon.

Today, I managed to cut down the excess screw heads at the rail joints. A mini drill and grinding/cutting disc were used.

DL10.jpg.29deac1ad6a1f424f9d92bdf5f74dd40.jpg

DL9.jpg.c87118493c66c73f8ba761e3458ae164.jpg

They still need a final tidying up, but once I add the cosmetic sleepers back into place, I'm confident that the joints will not be too prominent.

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT - typo.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

After tidying and clearing a significant part of my shed, I've now started point motor installation and wiring.

Pics to follow in the next day or two. The plan is to have it fully wired and tested before moving on to any physical application of scenic items.

I've also been doing a significant amount of photo research and planning for the various buildings and structures, including measurements,  but I need to re-check them before I send them off to be laser cut.

Stock requirements are also being looked at - believe it or not, I do need about another 4-5 yellow coaches, as well as a couple of non-yellow items.......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

After tidying and clearing a significant part of my shed, I've now started point motor installation and wiring.

Pics to follow in the next day or two. The plan is to have it fully wired and tested before moving on to any physical application of scenic items.

I've also been doing a significant amount of photo research and planning for the various buildings and structures, including measurements,  but I need to re-check them before I send them off to be laser cut.

Stock requirements are also being looked at - believe it or not, I do need about another 4-5 yellow coaches, as well as a couple of non-yellow items.......

Cheers,

Mick

:O .................

• RMweb Premium

:O .................

This is one of them.

At least it has "Network Rail" stickers on..........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

If memory serves me right, that support coach or one like it did see use on track trains

Saw when at Crewe and have a photo somewhere

It was supposed to be the NR standard colours but was only applied to a few vehicles including generator vans - 6260 was the last of the genny vans to carry it

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2014 at 22:25, newbryford said:

A couple of Tortoise motors in place. I've used "chocolate block" terminal connectors in case there's ever a need to replace a point motor.

1004147063_electrics1.jpg.63673fa7591ab320b63c1a24316a0929.jpg

And here's my fellow shed-dweller Barney, guarding the next few Tortoises to be installed. Most of the time, he sits quietly on the floor, but If I'm not sitting on the chair at my workbench, he'll jump up on it at the first opportunity.

710475777_electrics2.jpg.dba3c7c1331d67e9962f8a3e2ca74d72.jpg

Incidentally, I've bought some more Tortoise motors as I didn't have enough from the previous stash - these were bought from Kevin at Coastal DCC. They do a very good deal on a box of 12.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

A couple of Tortoise motors in place. I've used "chocolate block" terminal connectors in case there's ever a need to replace a point motor.

attachicon.gifelectrics 1.jpg

And here's my fellow shed-dweller Barney, guarding the next few Tortoises to be installed. Most of the time, he sits quietly on the floor, but If I'm not sitting on the chair at my workbench, he'll jump up on it at the first opportunity.

attachicon.gifelectrics 2.jpg

Incidentally, I've bought some more Tortoise motors as I didn't have enough from the previous stash - these were bought from Kevin at Coastal DCC. They do a very good deal on a box of 12.

Cheers,

Mick

Are you sure Barney doesn't think with the metal tail that is a green mechanical mouse, and he is getting a bit tired waiting for you to wind it up so he can play with it??? :jester:

edit= Oh yes, almost forgot, , and nice work too :sungum:

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

As the wiring progressed, it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't laid the straight bits!

So here's the board that will represent the Derby end of the site.

Right to left:

Up & Down main.

2 stabling roads

Gauging Train calibration road - and like the prototype, it will also have a short section of 25kV overhead.

Shunt neck and run-round.

All the yard sidings still need extending, but at least I can get on with some more wiring.

20140825_164924.jpg.0876c82f62267d7d17860928a93b395a.jpg

I also took advantage of a lull in today's rain to set up all four boards for the first time.

20140825_173202.jpg.240ba6466e19e07851f1cb3122df94c9.jpg

20140825_164924.jpg.0876c82f62267d7d17860928a93b395a.jpg

20140825_173349.jpg.2ced19f29d9b0fbd516d3508807b0049.jpg

20140825_173328.jpg.b66886859305325d258a3b4852c5599d.jpg

The wiring is dangling down underneath and the next job will be to link it all to the DCC bus.

Hopefully, the final section of straight track (except for the bits that will carry on into the storage yards) will be laid in the next few days, including the main line that rises slightly across the front of the EDU building.

Cheers,

Mick

20140825_173300.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 17

Guest Digital

Coming along nicely Mick.

I notice lots of people use the metal trestles these days for there layouts.

I like the look of your plastic ones. I presume they are nice and light. 

How do you locate them into the base board.

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2014 at 14:58, Digital said:

Coming along nicely Mick.

I notice lots of people use the metal trestles these days for there layouts.

I like the look of your plastic ones. I presume they are nice and light. 

How do you locate them into the base board.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Yes, the legs are quite light and fold up neatly. The wooden extension is screwed onto the legs to bring the layout to a suitable height and then an extra piece is added so that the layout simply drops into place. The extension could easily be already shaped so that the extra locating "tab" isn't needed. (The legs were originally made for another project which was narrower than the extension pieces)

legs.jpg.a6b0da304347b5a5ea73e462bc94bfdb.jpg

We use the same arrangement on Blackmill with the extension pieces already profiled with the locating step.

The legs are "saw-horses" made by Black & Decker and bought at B&Q - they were about £15 per pair, but over five years ago.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1