RMweb

Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

And God said, Let there be light: and behold a box of Peco LK-795 station platform lamps descended from AC Models upon Cwm Bach and there was light.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

And God called the light the GWR, and the darkness he called the exchange siding at the back of Dock Green.

I recently bought a couple of packs of the new Peco station lamps. There are 4 lamps to a box and each box cost  £7.95 from AC Models in Eastleigh. The kit is moulded in the usual Peco Southern green. The hexagonal columns are hollow to allow the easy fitting of lighting if required. The parts were free of flash, sharply moulded and fitted well. After basic assembly the parts were given a quick burst with a matt white paint aerosol. Faded BR(W) chocolate and cream and livery was applied before final assembly. The totem signs were made on my computer and printed onto glossy photographic paper before being cut out and glued in position on the lamps. The lamps are a tight push fit into 4mm diameter holes in the platform. A little weathering will be applied in the due course. I recommend highly the Peco lamps.

Hi Chris,

Perfectly executed, I must say that the whole layout is really taking on the look of the prototype wonderfully well - very inspiring!

Kindest,

CME

And God said, Let there be light: and behold a box of Peco LK-795 station platform lamps descended from AC Models upon Cwm Bach and there was light.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

And God called the light the GWR, and the darkness he called the exchange siding at the back of Dock Green.

But then God reflected and sayeth - "Verily, I say unto you, Dock Green may be dark (in places) but consider ye this - the steam powered machines are of a greater quality, hailing as they do from the banks of the Don, and not from that pit of excess in Wiltshire - that shall not be named." And there was a great wailing and a gnashing of teeth, for the multitude saw that it was so, and they were downcast; except for those who did repent and henceforth looked to the east - and they were saved.

I spent most of today planting vegetables and flowers in the garden. Then it was a short drive down to Lyndhurst in the New Forest for a splendid tea of smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam (jam on top) and cake. This evening, I've not been able to settle down to anything so I got around to opening my Heljan Class B tanks. They are very nice models now in need of numbering and weathering. I also have several OAAs and VAAs, a blue GUV, Western, Class 40 and Class 03 for a possible early 1970s layout one day in the future. As you can see, the packaging for Heljan wagons is preposterously large.

post-13142-0-22403900-1430765517_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-30632500-1430765519_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-11867500-1430765521_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I spent most of today planting vegetables and flowers in the garden. Then it was a short drive down to Lyndhurst in the New Forest for a splendid tea of smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam (jam on top) and cake. This evening, I've not been able to settle down to anything so I got around to opening my Heljan Class B tanks. They are very nice models now in need of numbering and weathering. I also have several OAAs and VAAs, a blue GUV, Western, Class 40 and Class 03 for a possible early 1970s layout one day in the future. As you can see, the packaging for Heljan wagons is preposterously large.

Very nice indeed. The packaging aint much use for storage when with the buyer/modeller either....bit wasteful really. Nice models though.

Is that red background to the number plates correct?

Yes. According to Eric Mountford the red background is correct for the period from 1949 to 1952. Some red plates may have lasted longer on engines not over-hauled at Swindon. Any longer-lasting red plates would have disappeared at the latest when locos were reliveried with the later BR crest.

I'm keen to buy a Lionheart 43.... But struggling with justifying the price to myself, in comparison with that of a kit.

Trouble is, whilst 10 years ago I could build a kit of a tender loco in 6 months, I can't do it now, it takes much longer! I'm slower, and I've got less free time. And I want at least a 43 and a Duke, possibly a Cambrian 0-6-0, and I've still got my 1366 to build (and a kit cupboard full of wagons & stuff...), and I'm building the track for PD loco, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the layout in due course...

So much to do - maybe RTR is part of the route!

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Unexpectedly couldn't make it to Reading. Probably good for my wallet as that 45xx looks so tempting (I already have a springside one). Chris Basten would probably sold me something else. I am still waiting for him to do an Albion class. The small Sharpie 4-4-0 on his web page is mine looking far too pretty to weather. That 45xx is rather like that. It may be easier to weather it as its in BR black. I think it looks nice on Cwm Bach. I am sure one of those must has been up some of the valleys.

Don

I'm keen to buy a Lionheart 43.... But struggling with justifying the price to myself, in comparison with that of a kit.

Trouble is, whilst 10 years ago I could build a kit of a tender loco in 6 months, I can't do it now, it takes much longer! I'm slower, and I've got less free time. And I want at least a 43 and a Duke, possibly a Cambrian 0-6-0, and I've still got my 1366 to build (and a kit cupboard full of wagons & stuff...), and I'm building the track for PD loco, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the layout in due course...

Best

Simon

Simon,

I couldn't hope to do better than the Lionheart 45xx from a kit and time is finite. I'll use RTR when it is sensible, which excludes the silly money prices of some RTR offerings, and use the time to build locos that are only available in kit form such as my long procrastinated Dragon Models Rhymney R class 0-6-2T.

• Like 1

That Lionheart 45xx is beautiful.

And certainly fits in with your lovely S Wales layout nicely.

My 7mm interests lay in the S. Wales valleys and I certainly need one of his 64xx Panniers.

Jinty ;-)

• RMweb Premium

I do hope I didn't sound sorry for myself! That would be most unjustified!

Best

Simon

Nope, just realistic.

I've realised that my own project will take many years to complete. I enjoy the getting there rather than the arrival though, so that's fine.

• Like 1

Very nice loco Chris.

How do Lionheart work? Is it on the basis that they produce a batch of locos and then no more once they have sold out?

Basically right, once they are gone there will be no more. Richard Webster tells me that the least popular liveries are GWR monogram, GWR post-war, and BR black with mixed traffic lining. The most popular liveries are GWR Great Western and BR passenger lined green.

At over £1200 a time for a new DCC-fitted 4575 class, I suspect that repainting, unless VERY professionally done (extra cost) could see its resale hugely reduced. A cheaper option might be to shift the time period of the layout!

Dave

• Like 1

Anyone who knows Richard Webster, the proprietor of Lionheart Models, will know that he is a first class salesman (he'd make a good reinsurance broker). I visited the ALSRM show at Reading today to deliver stock and meet with my Minerva business partner, Chris Basten. I popped over to Lionheart for a chat with Richard and ended up coming away with one of his exquisite GWR 45XX small prarie tank locos. It is an absolute beauty. It is not strictly right for Cwm Bach, but auto-fitted 4575s operated on the Abergwnfi branch on which Cwm Bach is based. It will look very nice hauling my B Set and will make a nice change from the Lionheart 64XX 0-6-0PT and autocoaches. Here are some photos of the newly minted loco on Cwm Bach. It will be weathered in due course when I can summon up the courage. So far I've managed to resist Richard's superlative GWR Mogul.

Very nice Chris, it will look even better when weathered.

Best

Simon

Lionheart models are the benchmark more often than not, yet I know what you mean and I still think that there could be a market for a RTR version in the lower price segment of the market place.

I knocked over one of my RTR wagons today and will have to take time out to make invisible, fiddly, repairs, the last thing one needs when time and energy, are, as Chris says, finite.

Simon,

I couldn't hope to do better than the Lionheart 45xx from a kit and time is finite. I'll use RTR when it is sensible, which excludes the silly money prices of some RTR offerings, and use the time to build locos that are only available in kit form such as my long procrastinated Dragon Models Rhymney R class 0-6-2T.

Sensible strategy.

Very nice loco Chris.

How do Lionheart work? Is it on the basis that they produce a batch of locos and then no more once they have sold out?

I think that is the case so far.

Today, Cwm Bach was graced by a visit from Chaz Harrison of Dock Green fame who made a rare foray deep into Great Western territory. Passport and visa formalities were dealt with quickly and without fuss. Dark glasses were issued to provide protection from the dazzling effects of copper-capped chimneys and brass safety valve bonnets. Chaz brought along the Tube wagon he is building (Dock Green passim). It looked much larger in the flesh on Cwm Bach and is surprisingly heavy. A good time was had by all.

• Like 9

Today, Cwm Bach was graced by a visit from Chaz Harrison of Dock Green fame who made a rare foray deep into Great Western territory. Passport and visa formalities were dealt with quickly and without fuss. Dark glasses were issued to provide protection from the dazzling effects of copper-capped chimneys and brass safety valve bonnets. Chaz brought along the Tube wagon he is building (Dock Green passim). It looked much larger in the flesh on Cwm Bach and is surprisingly heavy. A good time was had by all.

I had to steel myself - all those tapered boilers and Belpaire fireboxes - I got quite dizzy. Still the LNER tube wagon brought a touch of class to the GW metals :jester: even though, with no couplings yet, it couldn't be shunted.

Cwm Bach looks very promising and has some lovely touches. And I came away with a nice little prezzy - Chris said "there are two in a pack and I can only use one on Cwm Bach". What a nice man.

P1040825-2%20365%20x%20600_zps96vqkskw.j

It will look very good on the road bridge on Dock Green.

Chaz

• Like 4